Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been lurking for a few months reading your posts about all Ducati's in general but particularly about Multistrada's. I believe my use would me 80% street use but with the occasional off road/fire road not single track riding. It has been years since my dirt bike days but have a few friends that are Adventure riders and would like to participate with them occasionally. I just can't bring myself to take my K1300S down muddy fire roads.

I love the looks of the Multi and have been looking on and off for many months, now that spring is coming I'm looking with more enthusiasm. My questions are about what you all think is a good yr of a used Multi to purchase and what to stay away from. I know this is a loaded question, everyone has a favorite because they own or owned one particular yr. But with regards to recalls and electrical problems or cruise control, suspension options, I do like options that make touring enjoyable.

In one thread on here I read that the 2017 was the best year because of the geometry of the head angle and one fellow likes this or that. My price range I would like to stay within is the $12000. and under and 5000 miles and under. I've found a few but hesitated because I've not rode one as yet. I'm 5'9" 62 yrs old and have been very athletic over the years with 50 yrs of riding one form or another motorcycle. I am used to the higher hp motorcycles like BMW K models and such. I would consider a 950 Multi but it seems they sit higher than the 1200 or 1260's. I suppose I need more education here. I hate to be a pain to the local dealer, I visited twice in the past few months but other than sitting on new models I've not sat or ridden any used bikes.

If you think my thread is too general and I need to experience a few before asking please remove my thread and I'll ask at another time when i get to sit or ride a few used Multi's. I would appreciate being lead in a general direction of yr and options so not to spend too much time driving all over the tri state area going from dealer to dealer or kicking tires of a private individual that I most likely would not appreciate my testing his motorcycle to see if I like it or not. Dealers aren't usually offended but I would not like to bother a private seller unless I had serious thoughts of buying.

Best Regards
Magellan.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm thinking you'll have a hard time finding a low-mile '17+ south of $15k, so budget may be a limiting factor.

Do you prefer to do your own wrenching? From what I've read, the '15+ DVTs are a royal PITA to work on.

Wikipedia has a nice model-year breakdown, which might help with the decision making process.

I opted for '13/14, as I wanted dual-spark and skyhook. Plus I was a little shy of the increasing tech in the newer model years. Plus, I didn't want to spend over $8-9k.

Good luck with the hunt!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[email protected],

Thank you for the post, I do a lot of the work on my motorcycles now but, they have passed me up with the era of highly advanced computers. I still do the nominal maintenance, oil, filter, tire changes and the occasional wiring for accessories or clutch change depending and so on.

The information you provide is the reason I'm asking. Dependability is a concern, I remember many yrs back I backed away from Ducati because of the extensive maintenance schedules they once needed. I've read that is not the case so much is that true?

Thank you for the link to the Wikipedia page. I'll do more reading there on the provided links.

What is the opinion of the Multistrada 950 S? Does it have a good reputation or is it a dog? I understand the 113 hp is not 160hp, but is it a worthy motorcycle to have in the stable? Today I've been reading what I can about them. Are the used 950's lets say 2018 have the available options like heated grips, cruise, suspension and so on? I like the ability to have a few niceties for touring but still be able to handle the machine off road. Cruising at 80 mph is achievable with most any motorcycle but can the 950 perform in the curves without it feeling like my old FLH-HD on the Tail of the Dragon? Oh yes it was still fun but I left some metal there and it left me with less metal on my dresser. Many years back.

I still get concerned about the seat height on some of these. At some point you have to back them up into a parking space or some situation. Tip toeing won't do. The new model 1260's I seem to be able to flat foot it or close to. I've sat on a few newer 1250 KTM's and I'm not comfortable not getting both feet close to being down. I could not back them up while sitting on it.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much. They are all questions I have coming into this new arena of motorcycles.

Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I still get concerned about the seat height on some of these. At some point you have to back them up into a parking space or some situation. Tip toeing won't do. The new model 1260's I seem to be able to flat foot it or close to. I've sat on a few newer 1250 KTM's and I'm not comfortable not getting both feet close to being down. I could not back them up while sitting on it.
Multis are tall bikes, IMO. I'm 6 foot tall and if I put the seat on my 1200 DVT in the high position, I can't flat foot the ground, just the balls of my feet. I prefer the seat in the high position because I've got wonky knees, but I find it's too unstable when I'm walking the bike backwards (into/out of a parking spot, for example)

1200 DVT is 825/845mm, depending on which position the seat is in.

From what I found online, 950 seat height is 840mm,but there are accessory seats that lower it to 820mm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Multis are tall bikes, IMO. I'm 6 foot tall and if I put the seat on my 1200 DVT in the high position, I can't flat foot the ground, just the balls of my feet. I prefer the seat in the high position because I've got wonky knees, but I find it's too unstable when I'm walking the bike backwards (into/out of a parking spot, for example)

1200 DVT is 825/845mm, depending on which position the seat is in.

From what I found online, 950 seat height is 840mm,but there are accessory seats that lower it to 820mm.

Thank you for the info on the 950. The one I sat on at the dealership must have been on the higher setting. My bad there for not asking. You would think they would offer the lower setting. It's becoming that time of yr when we can now get outside and possibly get a test ride on one of these two models. It's going to happen I'm sure, buying one that is, a 950 or a 1200. I'd like to try a 950 just to see if I would like it. I've not have a sub 1000 cc motorcycle since my KZ 900 back in 76. I would also think a tooth change here or there could make a difference for riding the curves without sacrificing too much top end.

thanks again for the information. Love these forums

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question I just thought of while searching online is, can the luggage/panniers from the multi's fit between the 950 and the 1200's. Are they interchangeable or specific to each model

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well for the 950 it's a completely different seat, for the 1200 (and 1260, I assume) there's a bracket that you bolt onto the bottom of the seat to raise it up around an inch.

So for the 950 you sat on they would have to have ordered the lower seat and had it fitted on the showroom floor. Might be worth asking if they have a lower seat available you could try?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Magellan: I watched and waited for several months and was able to buy a new, 2017 Multi Enduro for CAN$15k from a dealer (US$11.2) last October. After taxes, Touratech panniers, heated grips and Touratech crash bars I paid about CAN$21k for a new bike. Now is a good time to be hunting for a similar bike.

The Enduro appeals to a smaller group of Ducati fans with significantly bigger market competition from BMW and KTM. As mentioned above, these are high bikes; I'm 6'1" and can only get the balls of my feet down at a stop. I'm pretty sure this is behind the low mileage Multis for sale; sounded like a good idea at the time but simply too tall for most riders. I am very comfortable going with the 2017 model as it's now got two years of history behind it, only one recall (rear shock) and lots of very positive reviews. I only rode it for a month before putting it away for the winter so I have a lot to learn about it. My intent is similar to yours; 80% road and the rest on forest service roads and easier trails. Good luck.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Agreed there are some killer deals on leftover multi's... I too scored on mine last fall, 15.3k for a 2016 S Touring, it had 20km on it when I took it out for a test ride. Not sure if the seat height is the reason or not, but Rick could be onto something with that.

I had always wanted a Multi, but couldn't stomach the price tag when they were asking MSRP, so I ended up buying an S1000R back in 2017 instead. I traded it in on the Multi and couldn't be happier, especially once I install my rapid bike EVO and up/down shift assist this spring (the only thing the BMW had that my Multi doesn't)

5mm is unlikely to make much difference in seat height between a 1200/1260 in the low position and a stock 950 seat, but a 950 is about 10kg ligher (wet).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to admit I recently let two good deals pass me by. Both were 2017, one with 126 miles on it and the other had 1000 miles on it. Both were $11500. Since I just started into this journey I was not sure what I was looking for and I still don't sort of. But with help like all of you are offering I'm learning. I'm a believer in if it's meant to be it will happen If I'm patient enough. That's how I found my K1300S last year. It did take some driving to get it, it was in Alabama but it was a good chance to catch up with an old riding buddy and visit Barber Motorsports complex. Highly recommend that to any motorcycle enthusiast. Or if you are a sports car enthusiast, Porsche has there north american proving grounds there where you can get into one of there new cars and drive. Its not that easy but it is do-able. The entire complex is a 1st class, from the driveway entering the complex to the museum to the racetrack. You can spend the entire day there and not do any racing. I'm not sure but i think they are building an arontoical museum there or something to do with flight and flying. At least that was said by one of the other visitors.

But lets get back to the subject on hand here. My original questions were about should I avoid any paricular years? And why. I'm primarily looking 2015 and newer. My K bike is a 2015 I was hoping to get newer than that one. And have Cruise Control since that bike does not have it. A huge blunder by BMW on a sport tourer.

I believe I answered my own question about the touring hard bags being interchangeable. They are a according to what I found on the Big Auction Site. It seems the 950-1200-1250 are all interchangeable to each other. That is nice to know since not everyone has them. I would hope to acquire a set if I don't find a motorcycle with them.

Enjoy the day and thank you for helping my along here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You'll find that with the Multis weight in comparison to your HDs pushing it around is much easier. So tip toeing into a parking space can be avoided by just pushing the bike where it needs to go.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I haven't heard of major issues with any of the DVT years. There are plenty of '15s out there that have 50+ thousand trouble-free miles.

If you want the hard cases, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a used bike with at least the side cases, and I would recommend waiting till you do. You'll pay more for the cases separately, not to mention having to deal with re-keying, which can be a serious problem if all the forum posts about it are any indication.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AXSPwr,

Thank you for that tip, I just went thru that with the BMW hard cases. They were dear to find a mint condition set that hadn't been scratched up from drops or garage dings. Even marginal ones they wanted $650 and for a great condition ones were going for $850. Nuts when you can obtain them new for $1100 with hardware. I agree I would like the hard cases so I'll try my best to find a Multi with them already. Some of the better deals I've seen don't have them so I've a lotted in my mind that there is another Grand to spend for the hard cases.

Then again I've seen some pretty nice after market soft bags or semi hard bags that I think might look good on them. I also thought I won't be too hard on myself if I drop this thing off road in a minor fall and scratch up a textile bag as i would a nicely painted one.

Pittsburgh did have a pretty good BMW dealership that was just bought out by another dealership and moved to another part of town. Its been 4-5 months now and they still have not opened their doors to the new dealership. But my point was the service counter guys were great fellows. At no charge to me with my assistance (getting in the road) we did the re-keying. Once you see it done it won't be so bad if I have to do it again. I do miss that dealer or at least the guys that worked there. I've owned a few BMW's now and have only had a few occasions to use the service dept. but the parts guys were strong and knew want you wanted better sometimes than I did.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
I think you'll be able to find a Low mileage DVT 1200 in your price range without trouble if you look around, an S may take a bit more digging but should be do-able. Getting a low mileage S with Bags may push your budget a bit but IMO they're worth it (if only because when they're off you don't have bag scaffolding making your bike look like crap). I personally wouldn't have a bias between the 1200 and 1260's... they're close in most ways to the point that most riders may not notice a difference.

Also... IMO the only reason to limit yourself to ONLY DVT's would be for the IMU, otherwise a low mileage 13/14 S would be a great option and probably leave some money in your pocket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Davek

What is IMU? Also can the quick shift be added to let’s say an Enduro model.

I found one that I sort of like. It does not have quick shift and I really like that. The price is good enough I can add the hard bags Is there a factory heated seat available or is that just with after market seats.

I’m thinking the Enduro is a bit too tall for me though. It is a nice one at a reasonable price.

One more ask, can hard cases be added to an Enduro ? Not the big aluminum ones the one that can be color coded to match the paint?

·
Registered
694 Posts
IMU = Inertial Measurement Unit (it's a fancy word for a device that measures the attitude your bike has in relation to level ground) In bikes it allows for things such as lean sensitive ABS/TCS and cornering lights.

I don't believe you can add the "regular" plastic painted paniers to an enduro, but I'm no expert on the enduro.

Once thing to keep in mind is I think the enduro has an even higher seat (not sure on that)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you for the quick reply,, you don't sleep either? An "S" would be more likely the one for me. Maybe make some platform riding boots.

Possibly a lower seat could help. But I do like the idea of the quick shift option.

Zombie I re-read our conversations from the other day, so you added the Quick Shift to your Multi? What's does it take to install or have that installed? Pricey? or is it a DYI project if you are a bit mechanical?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts