Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 20k miles on a Corbin seat. And still after 75 or 100 miles my ass is absolutely not comfortable at all. What are you guys doing for long rides?

·
Registered
37 Posts
just did 1400 miles in 4 days on a Sargent seat Ass never hurt, some of those days were over 8 hours in the saddle do to the miles of twisty roads though north Carolina and northern Georgia, I own a 2013 multi and the stock seat SUCKS LOL!! I had a Corbin on another bike it wasn't a bad seat but the Sargent is a lot better for me and worth every penny

·
Registered
384 Posts
Went with a Sargent World Sport Performance low seat, love it. But better than that was the addition of a pair of Moto-Skiveez riding underwear. I have an Airhawk but no longer use it - the underwear coupled with the excellent seat were a perfect solution. Bought the seat when I hit 15k miles on my '13, now at 33k miles and loving it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My ass has been hurting since day 1 on it. I thought maybe it had to break in. Unfortunately they want $375 to open it up and take a look inside, might as well buy another one.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
My experiences:

1) definitely get your base layer sorted. The right underwear makes all the difference. Heat and sweat are our enemies.

2) my GT came with the Touring Seat, which is quite comfortable for my bony *ss and 185 lbs, and the Mrs says her part is very comfortable as well.

3) My previous two bikes had poor seats, I had Don Weber of Mr. Ed's Moto make custom seats for us, which involved both of us spending a day with him to get it the way we wanted. Made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I second the sheepskin option... I do long trips with a sheepskin which, I'll admit, looks kind of ridiculous when you're leaned over rolling on the power exiting a corner, but it is comfy comfy comfy. Buy a good one and have a saddle shop fit it to your seat. I'd imagine an air cushion such as the airhawk would help as well and they look pretty cost effective, probably around the same as a good fitted sheepskin.

Holy cr#p those Kontour seats are pricey! They better work damned good for that kind of money.

Way back when I had some pants with cushioning in the butt but I recall them being very hot, they did not breathe well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A issue I'm having as well is I ride all year round in NYC. So when it's 5 degrees out I'm riding as well, my gas cap freezes and I usually have to bring a cup of hot water with me to unfreeze it. My Corbin seat usually turns into a ball of ice and it's not just cold but frozen at that point which makes it rock solid. Hence another reason I'm looking into a heated seat.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I second the sheepskin option... I do long trips with a sheepskin which, I'll admit, looks kind of ridiculous when you're leaned over rolling on the power exiting a corner, but it is comfy comfy comfy. Buy a good one and have a saddle shop fit it to your seat. I'd imagine an air cushion such as the airhawk would help as well and they look pretty cost effective, probably around the same as a good fitted sheepskin.

Holy cr#p those Kontour seats are pricey! They better work damned good for that kind of money.

Way back when I had some pants with cushioning in the butt but I recall them being very hot, they did not breathe well.
I got lucky and was able to find a used one and was very impressed with it. The interesting part about it is how cool it stays. Cruising in the Okanagan at 38 degrees the seat will actually make it feel 10-15 degrees cooler, and can actually be a little cold at times. No Monkey Butt at all. I no longer own that bike but if I was in the market for a new touring seat I would search for a used first but if no luck I would pay retail, it was that good. Of course seat threads are like oil threads, what works for one may not be the best fit for another, so just my .02c.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seat Dilemma

My opinion is that every one has a different experience with seats and windscreens. Factors like how much meat your ass has, how tall you are, riding position, reach to the handlebars and inseam to the pegs all effect comfort of the seat. I have 3 seats now. Stock, TT Touring and a custom expensive seat made for me in Colorado. I like the TT seat best and it is still not as comfortable and my Seat Concepts on my BMW.

I had the Sargent on my 09 MTS and it was a nightmare to install, you had to remove the tank and the bolts did not line up. After all the major hassle it was only slightly better than stock.

On the DVT, The stock seat on the high position eliminated the slide forward thing but still was not comfortable.

Unfortunately the seat has a large impact on the experience. I love my MTS but anything over 6 hours I find my self leaning towards taking the 1200gs, I was able to get the windshield, handlebars and seat perfect on that - although it does not provide the jollies that the MTS does. I have a 16 Sport Touring.

I second the Moto Skiveez. Klim has some decent underwear as well.

·
Hammer Down
1,630 Posts
I’ve tried the motoskiveez and it did nothing for me but I’ve lost about 35 lbs in the last year...making the seat less comfy so I need to give them another try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have mostly Sargent seats on my bikes including an MTS and been using them for years. I've never felt uncomfortable or sore on these no matter how many miles per ride.
I also have a Corbin Gunfighter and when I was ordering it I had an extra inch of foam added and it's been a very comfortable seat. There was no charge for that extra inch and I actually did it for height but it made it comfortable out of the box and I never really felt like there was a break in period.

·
Registered
85 Posts
After years of hearing how great Corbin was I gave one a try several years ago. That thing was hard and painful. I was told to be patient, it would break in. After a few thousand miles it was hard and painful. Went back to stock and it was better.

Next try was a Sargent. It was hard. I was told be patient, it would break in. After a few thousand miles it was hard and painful. Stock was better.

I tried a sheepskin. Looked ridiculous but was better. Tried Airhawk. Very good. Grew tired of having the strapped on and wanted to address the actual seat. Airhawk is more secure and integrated than sheepskin but still had limitations.

I tried Kontour. Reasonably comfortable. Instead of being hard like Corbin and Sargent it is soft. Problem was it flowed way too much air. In the cool weather it was a very cold seat. I never noticed a seat being cold before and this was crazy cold below maybe mid 50's, even with heat cranking in the seat. If you live in a warm climate these could be ideal but based on your freezing comment I'd stay away. Not the easiest person to work with either.

Russell Day Long was my next stop. High quality seats and service. Unfortunately, to get that comfort they raise the seat height by about 2". They have a relatively new "sport" version which does not raise the height quite as much.

The best thus far for me has been Laam Custom Seats. Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats. I've got about 10,000 miles on two of these seats on two different bikes and just got done covering 1,300 miles in 3 days and really enjoyed the comfort of this seat. Keep in mind, Seth Laam, like most of these folks are small shops.

Most of these seat builders may be good at building seats but may not be staffed or perfect with customer contact. They will also tend to get lots of work a certain time of year (winter) and less work in the summer when nobody wants to send in their seat as they want to be riding. They often get overwhelmed and can struggle to keep up with deliveries and can struggle to keep up with timely responses, especially for folks who have lots of questions over lots of emails. A call or two prior to sending in seats often takes care of most questions or comments.

I always wanted to find an off the shelf solution. "Comfort" seats from manufacturers sometimes helped a bit, sometimes not. Custom seats were always more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had very good results by removing the cover on the stock seat then using a belt sander to remove foam wherever it has unwanted pressure. If your problem is a matter of the seat not fitting as you like this works well. I reinstall the cover with contact cement and staples - has stayed on for 30,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts