Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to the forum after 9 months off, sold my 999 and went over to a very sweet Honda RC36 VFR for a while, I was getting tired of trying to keep my 999 cool in the summer Florida traffic jams and the VFRs seem like they don't know how to get overheated.

Got bored, found a buyer, lost some money, the usual.

Now I am interested in finding a 750 or a 900 Monster, nice simple and air/oil cooled, preferably injected.

The search started easily enough but now I am getting what we call "analysis paralysis" every time I find one I find another one the next day or two and it is less money with better stuff.

What is the wisdom on how many miles are too many miles? I realize it is all about how well it was taken care of so lets assume it was well cared for, I am looking at one with 11K miles (02) and one with 37K miles (same year), big difference in price but maybe not so big if it is coming up on any major engine work.

Looking forward to another Duck for sure.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
1/3 the miles has to be worth something, right ? Is one bike priced 3 times Higher than the other ? Is the condition of both the same ? 37k sitting somewhere in Florida sun can chew up paint and rubber. Look under the bikes, were they parked where salt could get them ? It’s everwhere in Florida, and it eats metal of any type. Any bike I’ve taken to Fla has been a mess when I got home.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I wouldn't call either high mileage for a 16 year old bike.
I would still tend to go for the lower miles, but mileage is not everything by any means. Inspect carefully, bring a mechanic.
You pays your money and takes your chances.
Not much else I can tell you from over here on the left coast. 0:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, very subjective question, Both bikes are clean and have been garaged, one has a nice after market carbon high mount exhaust, that alone may sell me as well as some suspension work front and back.

A few miles down the coast a 2012 just came up for $3500ish with ABS, black with a red frame, stock exhaust but like Duc96 mentioned, quite a bit of corrosion on the front end and reservoirs. At least the seller shows it in the pictures.

At any point does the Monster line of bikes become more of an offshore build and less of an Italian build?

I really need to catch up with these things before I spend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"analysis paralysis" I like that! I am kind of going through the same thing right now trying to figure out the best way possible to waste my $. This the reason I joined the forum and just like you started a thread.

I personally would definitely go with the lower miles option even at more $. Ideally be patient - there is always a better bike pooping up on Craigslist. Search neighboring states as well...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2012 I am looking at...the owner is going to send me more detailed pictures of the front end, says the corrosion is only on the reservoir covers.

The ABS would be nice to have, I am a BMW guy and after you get used to ABS not having it can be a hazard and I have a small crash to prove that, your braking habits change if you have ABS and it is tough to go back.

The exhaust system on this 796 is stock, and I now I would need a set of slip on's at the minimum, what kind is suggested?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
BTW, I don't need a lot of hand holding but I value opinions..if you had a choice between two Monsters, same displacement, same color, same miles and one is an 2002 and one is a 2012..which one would be the better bike?

If you asked me that question about BMW GS's I would know all about that answer, not sure about Ducati's (except the rocker flaking on my 98 996, like $2800 worth of knowing)

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Assuming technological and quality advances through the years, my answer would always be the newer bike.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I reasonably maintained, the miles is not an issue.
I had a 1993 M900 (carbureted) that I bought new and treated decently (but didn't baby it).
It go mashed by a hit-and-run driver last year, after 24 years of good service, and 265K miles.
I'm sure it would have made it to 300K, maybe a good deal more than that.
It was very reliable, and required remarkably little work.

PhilB

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
But, Phil ! I think you may be one of a kind. How many miles does your Yugo have on it now ? ��

1 - 13 of 13 Posts