Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up an 02 Supersport 900ie a few weeks ago and started buying parts like crazy and riding all over the place.

Few days ago my left wrist started hurting a bit then more and more. I'm wrenching all day on Black hawks for the National Guard then I ride home on the bike and hit the WASD keys for gaming so my hand gets a good workout.

Ahh here is my point.. I would like to take some of the load off my hand via the clutch pull on my new love sitting in the garage waiting for my wrist to get better.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a lighter clutch pull?
I know my way around a Turbine engine so I am not scared of working on my bike for whatever ideas you come up with but I would like to start with bolt ons first. I'm no racer on the bike. I just like hitting the roads for a few 100 miles or taking it down the twistys at a medium pace.

I have some CRG levers on the way for better adjusting but I would like to make the pull as light as I can so that takes me to what
Clutch Slave Cylinder 29 to 30mm? OBERON/POWERSTANDS perhaps and what else?........

Thanks for any info!

Yes I know.. Big wing on an FWD car.. Got it.. I have a supercharger under the hood so that should make up for rice wing a bit :)

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Lighter lever action

I bought Pazzo levers on a friend's recommendation - these provide better leverage and lighter feel.

You can also buy after market slave cylinders. These lighten the clutch, but may not provide as much lift, so possibly a risk of not disengaging completely. Others on this site report success.

Brands include MPL, Evoluzione, STM. Just enter "Ducati clutch slave" into your browser and heaps will pop up.

Richard

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
This is something many of us go through with a new bike. Part of the cure is getting used to the pull and your muscles will adjust. When you set up your CRGs, make sure they are in alignment with your wrist and fingers and not at some wierd angle that places stress on your wrist. There are many very good slave cylinders out there and some claim a 20% pull relief. Theres STM, Evoluzione and Oberon to name a few. They come in different piston sizes, 28mm 29mm and 30mm, depending on the model. Evoluzione claims a 25% pull relief with their 28.5mm piston, 35% pull relief with their 30.5 piston. I'm sure the other manufacturers have similar if not the same relief numbers. All of these are sold by Motowheels.

Ducati's slave cylinders have a reputation for leaking, but I'm sure this affected older models more. In other words it will be just a matter of time before that starts so you might want to do the conversion now and kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I LOVE this site!! Instant info from members...

After some reading I am seeing that the 30+mm cylinders seem to have a problem finding neutral. Can anyone confirm that?

Anyone have the powerstands model that can share some insight into the performance?

This is the site from my local dealer and the price is not killing the old wallet.
http://www.spectrum-motorsports.com...OWERSTANDS.POWERSTANDS_HYDRAULIC_CLUTCH_S.htm

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Man I LOVE this site!! Instant info from members...

After some reading I am seeing that the 30+mm cylinders seem to have a problem finding neutral. Can anyone confirm that?

Anyone have the powerstands model that can share some insight into the performance?

This is the site from my local dealer and the price is not killing the old wallet.
http://www.spectrum-motorsports.com...OWERSTANDS.POWERSTANDS_HYDRAULIC_CLUTCH_S.htm
thats a MPL brand slave , i have that n my 95 900ss , works fine but i did have some probs getting into neutral, but when i added the pazzo's i adjust the screw at the top of the master cylinder.

moto wheels seem fond of their 29mm oberon slave cylinder

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some here will disagree (they did the last time I brought it up) but removing two springs from the clutch pressure plate (opposite sides obviously) helps some and I have noticed no slippage or excess wear. I ride a '96 SS/SP fairly hard through the canyons and use the clutch for up shifts as well as using engine braking a lot, so my clutch gets a workout. This of course does not address the leaky slave issue, but its free. Try it and see if it works for you. YMMV. TT

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have an Oberon on mine, the only other one I seriously considered was the Yoyodyne. I did mine because of leakage, not clutch pull. On the levers, if yours is a Supersport, I believe it should have adjustables from the factory, but I could be wrong. I think the Sport 900 had non-adjustables.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Clutch pull springs and slaves

I put the evolution slave 30mm on my GT1000 helped out looks good these kits are a chaleng to bleed however and you may not get full disengagement requiring a shift to neutral if you stall the bike... no prob with Pazzos I just flip the adjuster to 5 or six if I need to "start with bike in gear"

My most knowledgeable friend (has 18 bikes, 4 ducatis...) just says take out some springs and laughs at the slave swap....

09 Ducati GT 1000 Ohlins F&R Termis Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm waiting for mine to start leaking and will probably go with the Oberon, I like that you can get a good variety of color choice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an Oberon on mine, the only other one I seriously considered was the Yoyodyne. I did mine because of leakage, not clutch pull. On the levers, if yours is a Supersport, I believe it should have adjustables from the factory, but I could be wrong. I think the Sport 900 had non-adjustables.

I'm liking the Oberon 29mm unit. My levers will be in Tues and I think going mid way at 29mm would be ideal.

I do have the 4 position levers on the bike with aftermarket bars but each setting seems to be just outside or inside of what I want.. I was laughing to myself on the road the other day as I played with the settings..

Any install tips with the Oberon unit?

Looks wise I like the MPL/powerstands unit but the fairings cover the front of the slave so I will go all performance on this decision save for going gold..

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder 29mm is our favorite slave cylinder now.
We've used a lot of different ones in the last 10 years.

The Oberon has an easy clutch pull, it's easy to install, neutral is easy to find, it is well made and designed, doesn't leak--and it may be the lowest price high quality slave cylinder on the market.

-M

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Plus 1 on the Oberon, still shifts like butter and no problem w/neutral at all.
Left hand is much happier!
The guys at motowheels can take care of you..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder 29mm is our favorite slave cylinder now.
We've used a lot of different ones in the last 10 years.

The Oberon has an easy clutch pull, it's easy to install, neutral is easy to find, it is well made and designed, doesn't leak--and it may be the lowest price high quality slave cylinder on the market.

-M

Do you have a store in CA or are you online only?
Do you carry any kind of Carbon Fiber Guage trim and rear hugger for the supersport?

Any kind of military discount? LOL I ask that all over the place these days.

Thanks for the info.. Think you just sold another Oberon.......

Carbon fiber side note. I have a dent on the left side of my tank. I always thought some sort of CF side covers for the tanks would look interesting. One of those half cool half actual tank protection deals...

James
Sorta hijacked my own thread.. Go me....

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Do you have a store in CA or are you online only?
Do you carry any kind of Carbon Fiber Guage trim and rear hugger for the supersport?

Any kind of military discount? LOL I ask that all over the place these days.

Thanks for the info.. Think you just sold another Oberon.......

Carbon fiber side note. I have a dent on the left side of my tank. I always thought some sort of CF side covers for the tanks would look interesting. One of those half cool half actual tank protection deals...

James
Sorta hijacked my own thread.. Go me....
We are in Sacramento. We have a showroom that is open M-F, 9-5.

Discounts: Register on our website for passwords to access discounts on non sale items.

We don't have much CF for the late model 900SS ie. Here is the link to that section:
Ducati Super Sport CF

-M

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
I picked up an 02 Supersport 900ie a few weeks ago and started buying parts like crazy and riding all over the place.

Few days ago my left wrist started hurting a bit then more and more. I'm wrenching all day on Black hawks for the National Guard then I ride home on the bike and hit the WASD keys for gaming so my hand gets a good workout.

Ahh here is my point.. I would like to take some of the load off my hand via the clutch pull on my new love sitting in the garage waiting for my wrist to get better.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a lighter clutch pull?
I know my way around a Turbine engine so I am not scared of working on my bike for whatever ideas you come up with but I would like to start with bolt ons first. I'm no racer on the bike. I just like hitting the roads for a few 100 miles or taking it down the twistys at a medium pace.

I have some CRG levers on the way for better adjusting but I would like to make the pull as light as I can so that takes me to what
Clutch Slave Cylinder 29 to 30mm? OBERON/POWERSTANDS perhaps and what else?........

Thanks for any info!

Yes I know.. Big wing on an FWD car.. Got it.. I have a supercharger under the hood so that should make up for rice wing a bit :)

Off the subject, but your black SS is awesome looking. I had a red one that I also put a lot of mods on. I loved that bike, especially after I got the suspension dialed in. I wish I had it back (in black this time) I could use it as my miles bike and it was very capable and as much fun in the hills as my superbikes. I found a picture of it, I put Marvic Magnesium Wheels on it when Motowheels used to sell them. What an outstanding upgrade. Now I see Motowheels has the 5 spoke Oz wheels, they are better looking than what I had and much cheaper too.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Before you go changing any parts, have you serviced the clutch actuation components? Flushing/bleeding the hydraulic fluid, after first removing the lever and cleaning and lubing the pivot may help. This is a frequently neglected area of servicing, given the frequency of use of the clutch.
If you go to a larger bore slave cylinder, you may want to fit an adjustable span lever at the same time, as you WILL lose a small amount of clutch separation. And I wouldn't go removing any clutch springs, in spite of the good intention of posters who advocate this - the pressure plate should have even spring pressure all around. You may get away with lighter springs, if plates etc. are in good condition, but you will need six of them...
And for the modest price of it, replacing the pivot bolt of the clutch lever may help if it is worn at all. Hope the wrist comes good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

-M
I was going to order the Oberon today but you don't seem to have gold as an option right now? Any insight into my dilemma?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts