Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, could use some help. The stock seat on the 950sp is killing me. Way too hard and uncomfortable. Any suggestions for a better seat?
Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the low profile seat for better foot reach (5 foot 8 inches tall ) and love it. I commute 120 miles a day and absolutely no complaints on the seat. I am about 203 LBS full gear.
One of the things that worried me was that due to lower profile seat, I thought I would feel every bump on the road. To my surprise , it is a very comfortable seat.

You may also try to soften the suspension a bit. They come very stiff from the factory. I made my back softer, adjusting the correct sag, as to really compliment my weight and ridding style. This made a considerable difference, something I noticed immediately as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey jbequer, thanks for the input on that low profile seat. Do you find it more comfortable than the standard seat? Or is it about the same, but a little lower? I could use more comfort for sure, but also would not hurt to sit about an inch lower.

I will definitely soften the suspension a hair. That should help with comfort. Honestly, I'm shocked at the seat Ducati chose for this bike. They could have designed something more humane. That said, it's probably one of the funnest bikes on the market. You've got quite a commute on a Hypermotard. You get the iron butt award!

Thanks / ride safe,
Marc

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love my commute believe it or not, sounds strange but can’t wait to go to work just to ride the thing. It is a beast on wheels for sure. The more I ride it the more comfortable I feel on it making it that much more fun.

As far as the seat, low profile vs reg. Not really sure if it is softer or not but just feels a whole lot more comfortable probably due to it being lower to the ground.
This seat made my confidence level go up. No longer worried about tip overs which I had two of , luckily in a parking lot practicing low speed drills.
I feel like the lower seat added not only confidence but a good feel of being one with the bike. Maybe this is why I don’t notice the commute as being uncomfortable.
I don’t know if there are other options without having to add different padding which will alter the feel of the seat completely.

As for the suspension, it made a huge difference right off the bat. It also brought the bike a little lower but not much.
I used to ride motocross and used to adjust my suspension all the time. It is amazing at what little adjustments do .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you made all the right changes/adjustments to the bike. I was thinking about lowering the suspension around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch along with softening it a bit. Those changes combined with a better seat should do it. And, I totally agree with you about the confidence level thing. Not getting at least the balls of my feet on the ground just does not sit well with me. It freaks me out in parking lots, stop lights, etc.

Is the low profile seat built on the same seat pan as the standard seat? Or is the pan actually dished and lower also? I'm thinking about sending my seat off to Seargent for a rebuild towards comfort. But, may buy the lower seat and send them that one instead if the pan is lower. Make sense?

You're a luck dude to get to commute on the Duc to work! You must be in SoCal or AZ? In Georgia, the rain and cold will get you in the winter. The weather will allow for commuting maybe a total of 7 to 8 months out of the year. Not bad. I can't complain. Plus, I live in the north GA mountains where TN, GA and NC come together, so the roads are incredible for this type bike (or any motorcycle, really). I've ridden a lot in CA and find that state to still be the best spot to ride.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like you made all the right changes/adjustments to the bike. I was thinking about lowering the suspension around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch along with softening it a bit. Those changes combined with a better seat should do it. And, I totally agree with you about the confidence level thing. Not getting at least the balls of my feet on the ground just does not sit well with me. It freaks me out in parking lots, stop lights, etc.

Is the low profile seat built on the same seat pan as the standard seat? Or is the pan actually dished and lower also? I'm thinking about sending my seat off to Seargent for a rebuild towards comfort. But, may buy the lower seat and send them that one instead if the pan is lower. Make sense?

You're a luck dude to get to commute on the Duc to work! You must be in SoCal or AZ? In Georgia, the rain and cold will get you in the winter. The weather will allow for commuting maybe a total of 7 to 8 months out of the year. Not bad. I can't complain. Plus, I live in the north GA mountains where TN, GA and NC come together, so the roads are incredible for this type bike (or any motorcycle, really). I've ridden a lot in CA and find that state to still be the best spot to ride.

Thanks,
Marc
I’m in California, LA. Great weather anytime.
As far as the seat, I took the original to a guy who does lowering , he said he wasn’t able too because the seat frame had no room . He said I would be sitting on the seat frame if he attempted shaving it.
I think the lower profile probably comes with a different shaped seat plastic than the original.

Being able to feel the ground without having to adjust a whole lot makes a huge difference. Before,
if the bike accidentally leaned the opposite way I was intending, it would feel scary because I had to quickly throw my hips to the other side, sometimes barely getting my feet down in time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone have anymore thoughts on this?

Just rode my new 950 about 170 miles today and I was dying by the end of the day. The seat is just...bad.

There are essentially three options on the market:

Luimoto seat cover
Ducati Comfort Seat
Ducati Performance seat (which I believe is the lower seat we are talking about here).

I'm curious as to how the comfort seat feels. Its 15mm's higher so I'm going to assume there's more padding. More padding is not always the best solution.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Posting again because I think i got my information crossed...

There are two part #'s in the Ducati catalog:

96880751A-Lowered seat
96880761A-Racing seat.

Apparently both seats are lower but the lowered seat is more dished out in the middle to actually sit you IN the bike rather than on top of it, at least from what I can see. There also may be a third part number, ie a "comfort seat" which is actually higher.

Does anyone have any experience with these seats? Can the OP confirm the part number for the seat that he purchased?

·
Registered
25 Posts
There should be 3 different seats .
Racing , whatever that means . Comes standard on the SP model 96880761A
Lowered 96880751A
Comfort 96880721A
As far as I can tell the “ racing “ seat on the sp is the same as the base model seat with a couple of design differences on the cover .....
I ordered the comfort ... had to return it because it had factory defects . Waiting on the replacement .
This is the funnest bike I’ve ever owned . However, it comes with the most uncomfortable seat in history .....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rob,

Yeah man. I adore the bike but the seat is so bad that I may have to sell the bike if i cant figure out the seating issue. Its creating a pressure point right on my sit bones that...yeah...its not working for me lol.

Thoughts on the comfort seat besides the cosmetic issues?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don’t know yet but I talked to another guy on another forum that loves his . Says he would buy it again knowing what he knows now . That’s very inspiring information . I’ll let you know soon as I get some time on one . I wouldn’t sell just yet . This bike is a blast and I think some seat alternatives will be achieved ...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don’t know yet but I talked to another guy on another forum that loves his . Says he would buy it again knowing what he knows now . That’s very inspiring information . I’ll let you know soon as I get some time on one . I wouldn’t sell just yet . This bike is a blast and I think some seat alternatives will be achieved ...
Oh, dont get me wrong, I'm not going to throw in the towel. I was just being dramatic in an effort to emphasize just how bad the seat is for me.
I'm going to have a test ride in a few days with the comfort seat as my dealer is awesome and will let me try one of their seats. We will see how it works out for me and ill let you all know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts