Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been seriously pondering another bike lately, not going to sell my Hyper, as I love it too much but would like a sportbike again for street/track duty.

Would love an 899/959 Pani but, can't justify shelling out the coin currently. Especially having 0 track days under my belt.

I have not done any track days yet, but am pretty damn serious about doing a number of them this year, along with doing at least one California Superbike School day. Here are some of my choices:

2008+ Honda CBR1000RR-I've always liked these but im just a little bit apprehensive on the power for a first-time track rider. I've ridden a number of 899s (which have similar-ish power numbers) but the 899 power delivery is not as violent.

Daytona 675-have always loved these but, they are a bit of a pain to find in my area that don't have a long list of janky mods

Ducati 848-There are some in my area that are in my price range, and obviously I'd love to have another Duc in the stable. Also, anyone have good experience with the 848 vs the 848 EVO?

So, what I'm looking for opinions on, is any experience on these specific bikes, any owners that did their first trackdays on them?

Reason I'm staying away from 600 I4s is well, I just don't like the peaky nature of power delivery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Daytona 675 gets my vote. Owned one for +20k miles. Wonderful machines. Or a GSXR 750. I know you said no I4, but they're great and can be had cheap.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The reason most riders pick a Japanese I4 for track duty is that is much cheaper to field and repair one compared to a Duc. Bikes get pranged up at the track, that's just the way it is.

If that doesn't concern you, out of the list of bikes you mentioned I would pick the 848. The prices are reasonable now and many have had good luck with them on the track. They are also fine street bikes.

One other superbike not on your list that also fits the bill is the 999. Much unloved when it was introduced, it is a fearsome track weapon. These can be found for good prices.

Whatever you pick, get some instruction before you find yourself on the track with the usual crowd of nuts headed into a corner way too fast and not knowing what to do.

And have fun.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you're looking for a track bike, get a former track bike with all the goodies added on. I'm a firm believer in "it's more fun to go fast on a slow bike, than slow on a fast bike". Thus the SV650.

You said you're going to the track for the 1st time... any 1000 is gonna be too much. A 650 will serve you well for the 1st 2yrs at least.

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
My "rule of thumb" is 600 for the track, 1000 for the street. You just don't need the torque or the bottom end on the track since you'll be riding it flat-out all the time, and you'll not need the top end on the street since you'll be riding in a much more relaxed manner, and the torque is there for blast of fun when you catch a moment when its safe.

And of course there's what everyone else is trying to tell you - the track is hard on bikes - you'll want something that you can beat on and not get too worked up about it.

good luck

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Bit of an update, I went to my local Duc/Triumph dealer to try on some suits earlier today, and they have a new 2013 Daytona that the price is, well pretty damn good on it.

I did go and look at two CBR1000RRs yesterday, both from the same seller and well, a few things didn't sit right with me. Did not ride them but just upon in person inspection, it just didn't feel right.

My dude at the duc/triumph dealer on the 1000RR "Dude, thats a lot of bike, not much room for error". I agree, after more thought I realized that bike was not suited for me.

So now I'm a bit conflicted, been thinking again and while yes, I can afford a 959, I also have this new Daytona for a potential (for much less cash).

Absolutely love both bikes, have always loved the Daytona and almost bought an 899 over my Hyper last year(Side by side demo rides, I was honest with myself and knew that I'd use the Hyper more as a main bike.)

Again, LOVE the Daytona but, I know in my heart that eventually I will have a 959.

I love comma splices and also, I might be a weee-bit drunk a the moment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So now I'm a bit conflicted, been thinking again and while yes, I can afford a 959, I also have this new Daytona for a potential (for much less cash).
i've been personally drooling over the 899/959 myself too, but my thinking is that if you're gonna be using it in the track a lot, then go with the Daytona; its a lot cheaper OTD so that leaves you with extra cash to spend on making the bike even better: suspension, track fairings, ...etc.

i test rode the 899 last summer and its a stonker, but i have never ridden Daytona but sitting on it feels small, narrow and light, almost as if its a 250cc which i would imagine would be an advantage on the track.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Someone already said it, but I reaffirm it. Get an 848.
I have one. Has some issues like all Ducs but easy to work on fairly reliable.
Has about 135 HP and has enough torque to pull you into oblivion.
Prices continue to come down.
Get a salvaged one that has been repaired for about 6k or less.
Nice thing, its also got the track computer hook up for downloading the vitals after your track day.
Not too big, not too small.
Good luck.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone already said it, but I reaffirm it. Get an 848.
I have one. Has some issues like all Ducs but easy to work on fairly reliable.
Has about 135 HP and has enough torque to pull you into oblivion.
Prices continue to come down.
Get a salvaged one that has been repaired for about 6k or less.
Nice thing, its also got the track computer hook up for downloading the vitals after your track day.
Not too big, not too small.
Good luck.
Whelp, I just put down a deposit on a 2011 848 EVO, guy selling it needed money so I got a pretty good deal on it overall, thanks everyone for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good choice on the 848 evo.

I truly feel it's probably the best useable sport bike. Liter and 1098 or bigger are harder to maximize the power curve. The 848 is bigger than 600s so you able get more useable power were it counts.

Congrats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts