Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it basically suspension? Can the std. be re-valved and call it good? I am going to be missing the instant passenger adjust though?

Seems there is $3000 difference in some cases (Note the nice std. Multi for $12,500 in classifieds vs, $16,500 and above for S's.....).

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Big diffrence is as you said the electronic adjustment of rear spring preload.
The other is the instant adjustment of the compression and rebound aswell as preload between the diffrent riding modes. The diffrence is actually bigger then i thought it would be.

Worth 3000$ is up to you..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ive driven both and cant say that I regret buying the standard model.
I believe the S model also has abs standard and on the standard model it was an option until 2012.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Marzocchi fork
Sachs rear

1200S T
ABS
Heated grips
Centre stand
Panniers
DES, Ohlins front & rear

1200S S
ABS
DES, Ohlins front & rear
Carbon fibre (beak)

And as Amullo says, the DES really makes a difference...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't have buyer's remorse, but I should have just bought the base model and added luggage and heated grips.

Why do I have a feeling the suspension is going to cost me a lot of money in the future when the bike is out of warranty.

On another note, although I like having the suspension and engine modes, if I did not have them, 140 HP/Sport mode is fine with me. I'd buy a stripped version in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't have buyer's remorse, but I should have just bought the base model and added luggage and heated grips.

Why do I have a feeling the suspension is going to cost me a lot of money in the future when the bike is out of warranty.

On another note, although I like having the suspension and engine modes, if I did not have them, 140 HP/Sport mode is fine with me. I'd buy a stripped version in a heart beat.
This

I'm more set in my ways and know I'll probably never take this bike off road. Maybe down rough roads but that's it. So I'm a bit more particular and would have liked to get the standard ABS model and done my own thing with the suspension to get it perfect for me with the extra money.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I purchased the S Touring version primarily for the suspension and figured the suspension, panniers and electronic goodies would bring me a better return on my money on resale. The suspension on the S is great and I recently replaced the front and rear springs, which made a great handling bike fantastic. Everyone is different, but you won't go wrong purchasing any configured Multistrada. Good luck with your quest and let us know what you decide and when you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a standard but upgraded the rear to a manual ohlins and andrioni cartridges up front. Since I do 100% on road this is fine for me, I just add in some preload when I ride two up. Only time I wish I had an s is when I go over speed bumps, it would be nice to flip it into enduro mode and soften it up for a bit more speed over the bumps. Overall though I love not having to worry about a DES failure anytime in the future.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well Valley...just as well you didn't get it just to 'flip' into Enduro for the speedbumps! Why? Well...you see the speed bump...then you have to look at the round indicator and then press and release 'the button' as many times as you need to highlight Enduro, (and if you are like me, go past it at least once!) then hold the button for four seconds, then close the throttle. Me thinks you will be long past the speed bump! For me...the simplicity of being able to change things if I carry a full pannier load....or a pax...at the press of a button is great. And when I do enter our lovely empty 100km's of bendy highway, slip into 'sport' and harden it all up. It does work! (Try riding what you guys call the 'canyons' in Urban...not nice. Snick it into Touring...and you really do feel more 'secure'....and as i say...a 200(k) ++ blast...in sports...it does it for me!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
+1
I just love the way it's configured in Touring, soft suspension - let you get a flowing feeling. And when you are at the race track, dial in Sport + passenger and the bike stiffens in several aspects... really lets you into right mood.. Can't wait to 2013 for more trackdays...

Well Valley...just as well you didn't get it just to 'flip' into Enduro for the speedbumps! Why? Well...you see the speed bump...then you have to look at the round indicator and then press and release 'the button' as many times as you need to highlight Enduro, (and if you are like me, go past it at least once!) then hold the button for four seconds, then close the throttle. Me thinks you will be long past the speed bump! For me...the simplicity of being able to change things if I carry a full pannier load....or a pax...at the press of a button is great. And when I do enter our lovely empty 100km's of bendy highway, slip into 'sport' and harden it all up. It does work! (Try riding what you guys call the 'canyons' in Urban...not nice. Snick it into Touring...and you really do feel more 'secure'....and as i say...a 200(k) ++ blast...in sports...it does it for me!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Purchased the standard with ABS heated grips and Panniers ! Got what I wanted and am pleased with my decision. I think the std will have better resale, 2nd hand purchasers of S models will be concerned about a DES error cost $4 k or more to fix !

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Like I said on page one.. The S model really does come into its own if you do ride the bike as both touring, sports and urban rides.. The enduro ive only tested a little.

But their are very marked diffrences between modes. I tend to use Touring for most riding around town since its comfortable. Urban should have been named wet mode. Sportmode really stiffens the bike. It ffels alot like my old SPS when in sports with one+luggage selected.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well...being stiff occasionaly is good for an old man like me!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have owned both the standard and now a PP. On the standard I upgraded the shock & forks and the bike handled really well. The bad is it always feels the same. If you set it up to handle when you run down the highway you feel every bump. The DES main differnce is that when I come out of the canyons I change the mode and bike softens. I can now cruise down the hwy with a much softer ride.

Always buy the bike that suites you best. Don't buy a bike that you think may have better re-sale value or wow factor. Get the bike that is right for your type of riding and riding style.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have had 5,000 miles on an S (my bike), then 1,000 miles on a standard (loaner bike), then another 7,000 miles on my S.

Next time around, I probably wouldn't pay the extra for an S. But then I don't take my bike to the track, and my wife won't ride with me.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I have owned both the standard and now a PP. On the standard I upgraded the shock & forks and the bike handled really well. The bad is it always feels the same. If you set it up to handle when you run down the highway you feel every bump. The DES main differnce is that when I come out of the canyons I change the mode and bike softens. I can now cruise down the hwy with a much softer ride.

Always buy the bike that suites you best. Don't buy a bike that you think may have better re-sale value or wow factor. Get the bike that is right for your type of riding and riding style.
I agree, but when I bought my bike everyone had base bikes galore and the S and S Touring were none existent. I checked into installing the Ohlins suspension on a base bike and it didn't make sense, so I bought for the suspension and chose the Touring model because I figured the panniers would make it more desirable at resale time. I rode the bike home and removed the panniers and they've been on a shelf in my work shop since.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
^ I might use my panniers... Heated grips I will use. gonna lose the center-stand- more than likely..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Worth it to me.

I think it is mostly about where you live and ride. I guess if I lived out in the central valley of CA or somewhere in the Midwest where corners and elevation changes where something you had to ride to get to then I could see having a suspension that was set up for one thing only.

But I am surrounded by mountains here and my daily ride takes roads that are superfast sportbike types with fast sweepers and Sport mode is just in its element. Then you hit the end and want to jump down to the next fun road but it takes 6 miles of a 15 to 25mph listed twisty that is damn near straight down/up. When you are canted over at 40mph on a 15mph corner dragging you toes and come around that next blind corner and find a new huge pothole or rockslide or shaded spot with algae on it I am damn happy I am in Urban with the TC and ABS set at max. Also since the penalty is bouncing down a hill eating a redwood tree or a cliff face I am happy to have the more forgiving throttle/hp of Urban over sport. I have done them back to back, one is doable but not at all fun, the other is great.

Then I hit the bottom and switch back into Sport for the fast stuff again. Even have used Touring for the 45 minute slab trips to the dealer when I get out of the mountains. For me the adjustable suspension wasn't just a cool idea, it was one of the main reasons I got the bike.

Look at the roads in this area for what I mean:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Intersection+of+empire+grade+and+Jamison+Creek+road&hl=en&ll=37.146464,-122.163033&spn=0.034584,0.066047&sll=37.269174,-119.306607&sspn=17.647109,33.815918&hnear=Empire+Grade+&+Jamison+Creek+Rd,+Santa+Cruz,+California+95006&t=h&z=15

This at the end of one of the fun faster roads and start of one of the downhill back it in type roads (although I don't, you can see from the street view the penalty for screw ups, not a lot of runoff).

That said I never go offroad so haven't really used Enduro yet.

Of course the best shock technology in the world is Delphi's Magneto-rheological. Used on the Corvettes and Cadillac and Audi on the R8 (hold it, don't they own Ducati now?..hmm) also it's licensed by Ferrari (under the name Skyhook I was pretty sure). The key is the tuning of the shock reaction. If it is a latest Gen III MR setup then it's reaction rate is more than fast enough (less than one inch traveled at 60mph). Of course it all comes down to how well it's implemented. But it's one of the few reasons I would look at the new Multi. Nothing is better than a well tuned MR shock in the real world where roads change constantly...nothing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts