Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not new to Ducati, had a ST3 for a long bit but sold years ago and found this beauty up for sale locally. It's an 07 with Termingnoni exhaust and rear Gaza shocks, low miles 14K and has had a recent full service (pending receipt to verify). Haven't seen it in person yet but planning to check it out this week, its a 3+hour drive from me.

So questions:
Asked about the tank/expansion issue - seller said original owner had it replaced by Ducati and indicated it was a newer version that fixed the expansion issue? Did a lot of searching but didn't find anything about that. Is this true Ducati solved the swelling issue with newer version or is he feeding me a line?

No red key but has 3 black, not really worried about that

How's the clutch pull as I read it's a wet pack? Any lighter than the dry clutches?

I've never sat on a GT1000 but from an ergo perspective, is there any forward lean? Nothing like my previous ST3 but curious as I'm now sensitive to weight on my wrists (numbing) as I get older. I'm 5'7" btw

Finally, anything to check over specific to this model besides the normal stuff?

Appreciate any tips and advice from this group and hope you all have a great holiday!

David

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Hi,

I think that you will find the GT pretty comfy and I cannot say that I have noticed any forward lean on mine, but the tank issue was not solved, Ducati just replaced melting tanks with new ready-to-melt tanks. Lining with Caswell may stop it expanding.

·
Registered
622 Posts
For riding position, here's a fun simulator to use: Cycle Ergo . After entering your make and model (they list a 2009-2010 GT1000 under Ducati), you can put in your height and inseam. You'll see your riding position and under Options, you can see what it's lie with your feet down. Funny because I recall using this when I was looking for my GT1000. I was looking at ST3 models as well at the time, and with their stock bars it was definitely a more leaned over position than the GT1000. I would have needed Heli-bars or similar to raise the grips. As said, you could always change the bars but I think you'll be fine.

As for the expanding tank, I don't think the replacements solved the issue. I had mine replaced under warranty. I did have the new tank Caswell coated and I use K100 to help fight the ethanol issues. I think the coating helped stabilize the new tank. I probably should be checking for expansion issues more than I do. I also have a spare tank I picked up when a dealer went out of business not too long ago, should I need it.

For clutch pull, I've not had any issues with my stock set-up. You'll see some folks using replacement slave cylinders. I haven't found the need to change it out. That said, I do have high grip strength, as documented during multiple hand surgeries I've had over the past ten years. Kind of weird, because I'm not some muscle dude. Think it's more hereditary from my dad.

When you get the records for the recent service and hopefully past services, beyond the usual timing belts, valve checks/ adjustments, fluid changes, tires, etc., I would check if the chain and sprockets have ever been changed. At 14K should definitely be checked if they have not yet been replaced. Reports seem to be anywhere between 10K and 20K.

Let us know if you get it, and post some photos! Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For riding position, here's a fun simulator to use: Cycle Ergo . After entering your make and model (they list a 2009-2010 GT1000 under Ducati), you can put in your height and inseam. You'll see your riding position and under Options, you can see what it's lie with your feet down. Funny because I recall using this when I was looking for my GT1000. I was looking at ST3 models as well at the time, and with their stock bars it was definitely a more leaned over position than the GT1000. I would have needed Heli-bars or similar to raise the grips. As said, you could always change the bars but I think you'll be fine.

As for the expanding tank, I don't think the replacements solved the issue. I had mine replaced under warranty. I did have the new tank Caswell coated and I use K100 to help fight the ethanol issues. I think the coating helped stabilize the new tank. I probably should be checking for expansion issues more than I do. I also have a spare tank I picked up when a dealer went out of business not too long ago, should I need it.

For clutch pull, I've not had any issues with my stock set-up. You'll see some folks using replacement slave cylinders. I haven't found the need to change it out. That said, I do have high grip strength, as documented during multiple hand surgeries I've had over the past ten years. Kind of weird, because I'm not some muscle dude. Think it's more hereditary from my dad.

When you get the records for the recent service and hopefully past services, beyond the usual timing belts, valve checks/ adjustments, fluid changes, tires, etc., I would check if the chain and sprockets have ever been changed. At 14K should definitely be checked if they have not yet been replaced. Reports seem to be anywhere between 10K and 20K.

Let us know if you get it, and post some photos! Good luck!
Thanks for the Cycle Ergo reference, really neat

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
100 Posts
The PO of my GT1000 had replaced the stock handlebars with something lower though he was 5’4” tall. I’m 6’3” so I replaced them with some taller LSL aluminum bars along with new grips. Easy job and I’ve put 7000 miles on mine now with no back or wrist issues. It is a comfortable bike.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,355 Posts
How's the clutch pull as I read it's a wet pack? Any lighter than the dry clutches?
I currently own a GT1000 with wet clutch and an Hypermotard with dry clutch.
I am not able to perceive any difference in clutch pull between them. But I prefer the wet clutch for street use. It doesn't overheat in frequent stop-and-go conditions.

·
Official Retired Person
7,620 Posts
I've changed a few things on my '07 GT1000. Bought it brand new, currently has about 30K on it.

1st thing I changed was the seat. Ducati sold a touring seat which I bought. Doesn't slant towards the tank in the front and the back is a little wider as well. I'm 6'2" and this seat fits me much better. Only problem is they are getting kind of hard to find now. I also installed the Ducati luggage rack because I like the looks.

Do a forum search for the gauge mounting brackets. They install under the gauge cluster mount to angle the cluster forward (flatter) making them easier to read. I think someone here is still offering them.

I had the original tank replaced under warranty and then had the replacement tank replaced under warranty. Fortunately for me, I was rewarded with an aluminum tank as a Christmas present, thanks to my beautiful bride and MIL. Solved the tank expansion problem! And I have the 2nd replacement tank in the barn in the box it came in having never had a drop of any gasoline in it. It goes with the bike when I die!

Lots of owners upgrade the suspension. I found a pair of shocks from a low mileage Sport.. They are preload and damper adjustable and work quite well. Fork cartridges are very popular but I haven't done that yet. I did remove, disassemble, clean, measure and reassemble the forks though. At about 8K miles they were dirty inside and the fluid needed changing. I run 10 weight in the compression side and 7.5 in the rebound side. Just my preference. One of the best handling upgrades for the GT1000 is to replace the wheels. The original steel are quite heavy. I found a pair of alloy wheels from a Sport. IIRC they shave off a total of almost 5 pounds!

I've not had any other problems (knock on wood). Beside not having enough time to ride it more. This is a very nice ride and a keeper as far as I'm concerned. Good luck and I hope you find joy!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Land vehicle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for recommendations and advise. Fingers crossed all goes well and as advertised

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received verification of the prior service which is good so I'm planning on checking it out this week, hopefully bringing it home to join the Triumph.

One question to the group regarding the title searches I've done.
If I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, please chime in. If I have questions, thinking it may persuade a future buyer if/when I sell if they notice the same thing.
So I ran multiple title searches, different companies due to the initial results. There is a jump in title with the last transfer of ownership but have confirmed the current owner does have valid title. Basically, he bought it from a Ducati dealer and title shows that transfer but when the current owner purchased, there is no record showing his transfer in the title searches. The title search is not showing the correct number of transfers now (was purchased by the current owner back in 19 so that should be there)

Am I just very anal and no one really cares about this stuff?

Very doubtful it will stop me from buying as I'm already looking at farkles and the wife is getting excited. We met when I had the ST3 and she loved it (but was killing my back which is why I sold it)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've changed a few things on my '07 GT1000. Bought it brand new, currently has about 30K on it.

1st thing I changed was the seat. Ducati sold a touring seat which I bought. Doesn't slant towards the tank in the front and the back is a little wider as well. I'm 6'2" and this seat fits me much better. Only problem is they are getting kind of hard to find now. I also installed the Ducati luggage rack because I like the looks.

Do a forum search for the gauge mounting brackets. They install under the gauge cluster mount to angle the cluster forward (flatter) making them easier to read. I think someone here is still offering them.

I had the original tank replaced under warranty and then had the replacement tank replaced under warranty. Fortunately for me, I was rewarded with an aluminum tank as a Christmas present, thanks to my beautiful bride and MIL. Solved the tank expansion problem! And I have the 2nd replacement tank in the barn in the box it came in having never had a drop of any gasoline in it. It goes with the bike when I die!

Lots of owners upgrade the suspension. I found a pair of shocks from a low mileage Sport.. They are preload and damper adjustable and work quite well. Fork cartridges are very popular but I haven't done that yet. I did remove, disassemble, clean, measure and reassemble the forks though. At about 8K miles they were dirty inside and the fluid needed changing. I run 10 weight in the compression side and 7.5 in the rebound side. Just my preference. One of the best handling upgrades for the GT1000 is to replace the wheels. The original steel are quite heavy. I found a pair of alloy wheels from a Sport. IIRC they shave off a total of almost 5 pounds!

I've not had any other problems (knock on wood). Beside not having enough time to ride it more. This is a very nice ride and a keeper as far as I'm concerned. Good luck and I hope you find joy!

View attachment 1023302
Wow, that looks awesome! Afraid to image how much that would cost :)

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s, 09 GT 1000
444 Posts
Sorry I can’t comment on the legal issues , but even with service records in hand I would still do it all for myself , that is the basic main. stuff …. for me only way I could ride like it was meant to be used …. I really like my new to me GT1000 ! However theST3s has been my best do it all ride ever …. Good luck and enjoy !

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Amazingly, you still see a lot of these bikes with the original Pirelli Phantoms still on them. Maybe not as much on the GT since these are most likely ridden more than the other models. But, if they are still mounted, you can use them to negotiate the price maybe, since you will need to replace them. The best thing for the tank issue is to stay away from ethanol as much as possible or at least try not to leave any in the tank overnight, which has been my philosophy. Both my bikes have the original tanks and I have never had a problem with them so far (fingers crossed).

So, what Triumph will you be parking this next to?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Amazingly, you still see a lot of these bikes with the original Pirelli Phantoms still on them. Maybe not as much on the GT since these are most likely ridden more than the other models. But, if they are still mounted, you can use them to negotiate the price maybe, since you will need to replace them. The best thing for the tank issue is to stay away from ethanol as much as possible or at least try not to leave any in the tank overnight, which has been my philosophy. Both my bikes have the original tanks and I have never had a problem with them so far (fingers crossed).

So, what Triumph will you be parking this next to?
Fortunately those were replaced recently with Pirelli Angel GTs so good there.
2018 Speedmaster, the 1200 is what sold me, very smooth and can ride it for hours. Love the cruise control (yep, showing my age....)
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

I have several stations close to me that carry non-ethanol so that will definitely be used

I'm driving over 1st thing tomorrow morning and hoping it's coming back with me :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Asked about the tank/expansion issue - seller said original owner had it replaced by Ducati and indicated it was a newer version that fixed the expansion issue? Did a lot of searching but didn't find anything about that. Is this true Ducati solved the swelling issue with newer version or is he feeding me a line?
The newer tanks can swell as well. If you are using non-ethanol gas, that will certainly help the issue, but I don't know if it stops it altogether.

If you have concerns, I would recommend having the tank Caswell coated. JCPAKBIKES aka Sport Classic Specialties had a vendor that did my tank several years back, and it has shown no signs of swelling. Contact JC for more details.

Reactions: Clearwater Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
Reactions: ncgt1000

·
Registered
144 Posts
For riding position, here's a fun simulator to use: Cycle Ergo .
Great site.

The GT has very minimal lean angle. For the 1000S, you are entering a world of pain!

It just took a couple of months to get used to it....

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Congrats!
Little things to look for across the sport classic family in addition to tank expansion:
Voltage rectifier/ regulator- the stock one used to burn up. You can easily replace it with a new oem, which is improved, or a mosfet. Do some search on this forum for that. Tons of info available.
soft valve guides- at around 15k miles, a batch of ds1000 engines suffered from deteriorating guides. It’s pricey to replace because you have to take off the heads. Fingers crossed yours doesn’t fall in that batch.
Fuel line clamp- this was a recall, but worth asking your seller if he did it. There was a missing clamp on most bikes which resulted in the fuel line disconnecting inside the tank. Easy fix.
aside from that you’ll find a million posts about the dogshit suspension, which I personally feel is a priority to address, since it’s really an amazing bike to ride when it’s properly set up.

all this said, the sport classic is an awesome bike.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s, 09 GT 1000
444 Posts
Looking forward to photos Dave , just the perfect Christmas gift ! regardless of who you worship , priorities are in the right place …. you must be excited … Plus, you have no waiting till April or May to try it , good on you !

1 - 20 of 43 Posts