Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a good buddy with me, who knows Ducs, as well.

Outside of flaking rockers, anything else I should be made aware of? What were the problem areas on this bike?

It's very low mileage.

Thanks;

LJB

·
7,733 Posts
Most pre 2004 ST owners aren't enamored with the stock headlamps and recommend the upgrade to the Ducati Designs unit.

Make sure you know how long the current belts have been on and how many miles they've covered.

Pre-load adjusters on that Ohlins shock need servicng every 18K miles or so, or when they start to weep fluid.

Dry clutch, and all that entails re grabbiness, moaning, siezed throw bearings etc. which seem fair trades offs for the beloved rattle. :)

Make sure chain adjusters are torqued properly, if not they can back off with bad results. In fact, you may want to r&r the rear wheel to make sure there is no grease between any of the contacting swing arm-chain adjuster surfaces inside the box section.

Make sure the engine mounting bolts have been/are properly torqued. If the bike has low miles, consider replacing them or upgrading at 30-35 K miles or so.

Fuel lines inside the tank deteriorate over time and if they split under EFI pump pressure, you will be stranded. Consider replacing along with a new fuel filter/O-ring as well.

Buy it, ride it, love it. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...!

The current owner added a Sargeant Seat, Ducati Design dual lights, and is throwing in new tires and timing belts. Belts are origional to the bike, so they got to go. Tires, too.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like you should buy it Red, it's a great bike

the only thing I seen mentioned is gearing change of 15/38 to 15/43

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Is this the yellow bike in Hampton, NH. If it is...it's freaking immaculate. The guy is a lifelong friend of mine. You won't be disappointed!

I was toying with buying it...but I have an ST3 already, so another ST in the stable would be hard to explain to the better half.

·
7,733 Posts
Thanks...!

The current owner added a Sargeant Seat, Ducati Design dual lights, and is throwing in new tires and timing belts. Belts are origional to the bike, so they got to go. Tires, too.
That seat is a major upgrade as well. :) That the bike is coming with new belts, (installed?) and tires is a big plus too. :) Even if it's not red, it sounds like a good find. ;)

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I wouldnt take ownership of the bike until after the belts have been fitted , nine year old belts that have stayed stationary for long periods are ripe to fail.

Otherwise if it looks well looked-after then go with your/your friends gut feeling especially how the guy talks about his bike.

These bikes tend to be well loved and the problems they have can generally afflict any make/model in some way so dont be put off by all the forum doom-sayers...

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
If or I should say when you change sprockets to the 15T / 42T or 43T combo, you will need chain with 102 links. No more, no less. When you do achieve that final drive ratio, you will love it way more than stock. :D

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Thanks...!

IMHO, the 03-ST4s is the best of the "old style" ST models as Ducati made a few factory upgrades from the MY 02. With a Sargeant seat and DD headlights, you are ready to travel coast-to-coast and don't have to call it a day when the sun goes down.

If you have never owned a Ducati ST, they do not like life under 3,000 rpm and the engine is not fully broken in until 10,000 miles are on the odometer. As previously mentioned; if the bike still has its OEM 38T rear sprocket, get a 42T or 43T one for the smoothest operation at legal street and highway speeds as well as saving a lot of wear & tear on your clutch when starting up a hill.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Once you snag it, a manual fan switch and the desmotimes.com fair brackets will make life comfortable and maintanence less frustrating.

You'll enjoy it if you buy it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMHO, the 03-ST4s is the best of the "old style" ST models as Ducati made a few factory upgrades from the MY 02. With a Sargeant seat and DD headlights, you are ready to travel coast-to-coast and don't have to call it a day when the sun goes down.

If you have never owned a Ducati ST, they do not like life under 3,000 rpm and the engine is not fully broken in until 10,000 miles are on the odometer. As previously mentioned; if the bike still has its OEM 38T rear sprocket, get a 42T or 43T one for the smoothest operation at legal street and highway speeds as well as saving a lot of wear & tear on your clutch when starting up a hill.
Yup...and yup. The first thing I did to my '06 S2R 800 is put a 14 tooth front gear on it. I like 3 gears in town rather than 2 tall ones.

I'll be checking out the bike soon. If I buy it, I won't ride it home, but immediately put it in the shop for belt and rocker changes, new tires, fuel line service, etc etc etc. No shortcuts.

Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Seller is including a new set of Pirelli Angel ST tires, and a set of Genuine Ducati Timing Belts.

Are the tires good? Are the timing belts the good kevlar ones?

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
If they have red letters, yes. The older non-Kevlar belts were around a long time ago. They are no longer produced. Not sure there was even a fitment for the drop-cam 4V head of the ST, Monster and 02 748.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I buy the bike, I'm guessing power commanders, less restrictive air boxes and exhaust, are available for the bike...?

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Angels are *very* good ST tires.
^^^^this. It seems the current toss up is between these and Michelin PR2. I'm in the Angel camp only because I haven't tried the PR2.

The aribox mod is easy. Cut the top off, ref bikeboy.org.

PCs work, but a DP ecu and some EFI setup works nicely.

Cans are hard to find, but there are options out there for a price. Check spark exhausts at motowheels.com.

Have a good one.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
If I buy the bike, I'm guessing power commanders, less restrictive air boxes and exhaust, are available for the bike...?
Spend the extra $$$$ if you want, but the ST4s is good to go out of the box. Other than a 42T rear sprocket, the power trains of my 02-ST4s and 04-ST4s were strictly OEM, and they both produced all the power (108 hp at the rear wheel, IIRC) I could handle along with great mpg (mid-high 40's with the occasional 50 mpg).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts