Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over ten years on STs, I'm considering moving on to a Multistrada. I'm interested in a 2011 with low miles that's for sale locally at a Yamaha/Kawasaki/Honda dealership. They're not familiar with Ducatis, and I don't know much about Multis. The salesman claims this is an S-Touring model, but I don't see an "S" anywhere on the bike. It does have panniers, but I'm not sure that's an indicator. How do you tell an S-Touring from a base model? Any leads on a good internet VIN decoder?

Also, it doesn't have a code card. I know that's a big deal with STs, but not sure the Multis need it. It has a red key, small black key and the switchblade fob type key. Anything important missing?

I'd also be interested in anything to beware of on this model. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I think the 11's had some tank swell issues... but do some searching on this forum there's a LOT of info already available.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. The Ducati VIN checker just returns Multistrada 1200. Looks like I'll need to do a little more digging.

Thanks for the heads up on tank swelling Dave. I'll check into that as well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Touring should have a center stand. Removable, of course, but you would also have the lift handle on the left combined with passenger peg (like your ST). Heated grips were the other Touring option. Panniers were specific to the Touring, as well, but could obviously be added.

You'll want/need the PIN for when the FOB doesn't work. You can reset it with Melcodiag, etc. though.

Rear brake was/is crappy on all, but supposedly improved on MY '13, so maybe an updated MC if you find issues.

I came from an ST2 and thought I'd get rid of it once I had the MTS. But I still can't let it go.

Good luck!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No center stand, grab handle or heated grips. It does appear to have ABS though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If it the S model it will have the Ohlins electronic suspension. Look for wires going into the fork and rear shock

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the rear shock is a Sachs. Does that sound right for a base model?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Edit: duplicate post for some reason

·
Registered
606 Posts
Base model had Sachs front and rear, S model had Ohlins + DES. As @Tamworth noted, wires are the giveaway for DES. Easiest to spot is the top of the left front fork cap --should have a wire coming out in plain view like this.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Service history is a big deal, as in belts and the big desmo service, figure that into the price. I still have my ST3, it’s a keeper and the Multi is my forever bike.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Also, it doesn't have a code card. I know that's a big deal with STs, but not sure the Multis need it. It has a red key, small black key and the switchblade fob type key. Anything important missing?
I should have been more clear; the card that comes with the MTS is for owner reg and I think roadside assistance for new owner. It is not required. What you need is the PIN, which is not on the card. Usually set by the dealer at sale, or later by the owner. The PIN allows you to start the bike if/when the FOB is lost or not working, which can happen (see multitude of threads on this). You can reset it with cables and software, or the dealer can do it, but may charge a fee.

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
The PIN is attatched to the red key I believe, it is a tear off tiny piece of plastic.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input, fellas!

The discussion here has convinced me this is a base model and not an S-Touring. According to KBB, that makes ~$1200 difference in value. The dealership is closed Sunday and Monday, so I e-mailed my salesman and revised my offer down $1000. I doubt he'll go for it, but we'll see. I don't necessarily need the S bells and whistles, but I won't pay the S price for a base bike.

Concerning maintenance history, the dealer doesn't have it. If this is a local bike, the local Ducati dealer is very good about providing information on any work they've done. That said, the bike only has 4500 miles on it so I suspect nine year old original belts. If it ends up in my garage, it'll get belts and a valve adjustment first thing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I bought my 2012 Multistrada 2 years ago with 5000 miles on it, my dealer was able to run the vin through the computer and provide complete service records even though the bike was originally bought out of state. Mine had all recalls and service performed and that was a big selling point.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like the dealer wants to move this bike. He called me back and agreed to $800 off the previously negotiated price. That gets me to ~$600 below KBB value (for what that's worth) for a base ABS bike, which I believe this is. Panniers and Termi exhaust probably help the value a bit as well. I think I might go down and pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had an '11 S model. Owned it for 25k miles. Replaced two tanks and fuel sensors. Second tank I coated with caswell. That cured the problem from the ethanol. The shitty part when the tank swells is the well nuts holding the fairings on spin. Other than the tank issues the bike is good. Took a few long trips, 2 up loaded like a mule with 3 bags and the bike ran great. Best wind screen was the national cycle touring or the shortest one for every day. Anything in between had too much Jimmy Buffett.
Good luck with it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts