Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am currently riding a 99 900Supersport and it is up for sale. (I am in Utah if you are interested- PM me, but that is not the subject of this post.)

This Monster is pretty rough but may have good enough bones to make an offer but first I have to get by the Red Key thing.

The dash has been changed from US to European. Seller said previous owner had a dash failure and rather than spend... (big number here?) he found a European Dash calibrated in KPH rather than MPH- on ebay.

And, oh- yes, the Tach is not accurate, "may be missing a few teeth on the inside" (?)....

Do you have the Red Key? I said... yes he said and handed it to me.

How do I know if this '01 Monster's ECU is matched to this particular red key or maybe this is just a key with a red plastic handle?

Does it really matter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, sorry, I did start and ride it with the Red Key.

Does the KPH speedo and bad tach throw you off?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I assume you could put the key in the bike and start it...unless i'm missing something here.
I think the OP wants to know if there is any way you could see if it's a red key or just a black key with a red colored "grip" (both would start however only one would be useable to flash a new black key).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the OP wants to know if there is any way you could see if it's a red key or just a black key with a red colored "grip" (both would start however only one would be useable to flash a new black key).
Yes, that is my question... thanks for noticing.

Not only flashing a new Black Key, but interfacing with the ECU. An authentic Black key with a red grip would start the bike but not make a new RFID clone, and would not service the ECU.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The question is does he have the reed AND black keys. Having a red key is a must, but you still need to make black copies for a lot of $$$

I'd avoid the bike unless it dirt cheap...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Imo if the key has a red grip and it starts the bike it is atleast matched to the bike.
I doubt the previous owner would be slimy enough to change the colour of a black key to red to screw someone.
Dunno about the tach/speedo issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts