Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a 2013 with 16k miles. Dealer serviced and appears in pictures to be in good condition. Bike is about 250 miles from me. I spoke with the salesperson (private) and he seems honest and genuine. Anything I should look out for? I was considering a newer Hyperstrada as well, 2015/16 but those are harder to find and I was a little underwhelmed by the one I test rode. Just looking for thoughts and advise. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Considering a 2013 with 16k miles. Dealer serviced and appears in pictures to be in good condition. Bike is about 250 miles from me. I spoke with the salesperson (private) and he seems honest and genuine. Anything I should look out for? I was considering a newer Hyperstrada as well, 2015/16 but those are harder to find and I was a little underwhelmed by the one I test rode. Just looking for thoughts and advise. Thank you!
There's a handful of nearly identical recent threads here if you do a quick search -though search is a bit of a roll of the dice.

Desmo service at 15k is anywhere from $1k to $$2k depending on the shop. I'd make sure that was done. New tires if older than 5 years. Might be close to time for new chain and sprockets if they're original.

If you can get the VIN, the dealer should be able to confirm service and whether all recalls were done.

Fuel sensor and flaky key fob tend to be the common issues with these bikes. Lots of info on both here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I would ask for proof that the 15K mile Desmo service was done. That can run around $1K or so by itself if done by a dealer. A lot of Ducati owners who are thinking about selling unload their bikes around 15, 30, 45K, etc miles to avoid that cost. For example, I'm a bit over 45K miles on my bike right now, but because I kind of have my eye on a couple of new bikes, I haven't done the 45K miles Desmo service yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info - I will do a search. He did mention the fuel gauge is occasionally finicky. He also specifically mentioned that he performed the big service at a specific Ducati dealership, so that should be easy to check. I agree about the age of tires. There was a hyperstrada I saw that had very little miles, but 5 year old tires and belts. Sounds like these bikes can be reliable if taken care of. I'll try the search function.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
He did mention the fuel gauge is occasionally finicky.
The sensor is around $100. Bit of a PITA to replace as the plastics, then tank have to be removed to get to it. Some folks have done the ~$30 plug-and-play bypass you can get on e-bay that just disables the gauge altogether. You just have to keep track of your mileage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the bike. Looks great. So far took a short ride - what a beast! The termi without the baffle is fairly loud but not too obnoxious. I think I’ll ride a little in urban mode here in Boston to get used to it. Suspension is amazing! The best I’ve experienced thus far. Also, feels a little more clickable than my vfr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts