Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently riding a '99 ST2 and thinking about moving to an MTS.

Initial price tag is an issue for me, so I'm looking at the older models. There are two 2010's in my area with current maintenance, low miles and no mods for less than $8k.

I've read through the threads I could find but still have a couple questions if I may:
2010 being the first model year, are there any major issues (besides general running addressed by Tuneboy, etc.) to watch out for?

Given the Ohlins + SCU upgrade available on the S model, is there any point in considering the base model?

I see some S-model Ohlins on ebay in the $400 range. Are they plug and play upgrades for base models, or not possible given electronic restrictions?

I do some commuting, but mostly solo weekend canyon carving and light solo trips.

Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought a 2010 S model last year with 8k miles on it, and I couldn't be happier. Now I'm at 14k, will be doing the dealer 15k maintenance soon, but it's perfect. Just put 300 miles on it today on a spirited ride. I rolled on in 4th gear and ended up at 147 indicated when I let off and it still had room to go (still in 4th, the thing is crazy powerful), and just before that I was tearing down back roads, some of which were pretty messed up, and the suspension handled it all. It had the SCU upgrade already when I got it, and all I've done is replace the windscreen with a shorty and do a TuneBoy flash.

I may have gotten lucky, there's no way a whole line of these things are as great as mine is...

·
Registered
137 Posts
My first Multi was a 2010. Put on about 12,000 miles before one of the main bearings went and destroyed the engine. Doing some research after that trying to find a reason I kept hearing that many of the 2010's had a similar issue. Not saying that all '10 will have the same issue, its just what I have heard. Many on this forum have never heard of that problem before so it may be a rare occurrence. I have no proof either way, just sharing my experience

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@wetzel; Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a blast.

In the older models, I've only been seeing the non-S versions.

I like the price-point of the base model, but am starting to think I should pass and look for an S-model.

Unless I could upgrade the base model without spending stoopid money...

·
Registered
105 Posts
@wetzel; Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a blast.

In the older models, I've only been seeing the non-S versions.

I like the price-point of the base model, but am starting to think I should pass and look for an S-model.

It looks like the 2010 base models didn't come with ABS, which is a bigger deal breaker for me than the lack of the electronic suspension. Though, the electronic suspension is pretty nice. When I was looking, I had the opposite and could only find S models, mine actually being the S-Touring so I get the heated grips and (admittedly way too small but nice looking) bags.

Yeah I'd say keep your eyes out for the S, or a 2012-13 base model which would have ABS.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought my 2010 S as a new demo in March 2011. I’m at 40k miles and it has been rock solid. Mostly used for spirited mountain rides and a couple of track days a year with an occasional tour tossed in. Decat with SC exhaust, Tuneboy with cruise, 42 tooth rear sprocket, shorty windscreen and Ohlins SCU are the most appreciated mods. It is a fantastic bike!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree, watch for the S. Plenty for sale in my area. Bought one a few years ago w/ 18k for 10. Had full Termi kit, top case and extra wind screen. Just turned 30k miles and I love this bike.
Fueling is not happy below about 3500rpm, it is what it is, the bike intices you to GO! lol Other issues you should search are the rear brake and the coolant issue. Coolant would have been an issue by now if it were one affected and the rear brake can be sorted with due diligence and routine maint.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I may have gotten lucky, there's no way a whole line of these things are as great as mine is...
I'll add one more happy with decat, tune, SCU, and shorty screen.

As for Multi with ABS, well for the first time in my life I really needed ABS last week. I carelessly got myself into a bad situation. :eek: At 40 mph instead of the old school method of adding more lean and praying I didn't low side into the truck, I hit the front brake as hard as I could and prayed I would hit the truck at a low enough speed not to get hurt too bad. When I opened my eyes at about 15 mph I was was still in my lane pointed the right way, three feet before those slick looking double yellow lines. And I have the 2010 without cornering version of ABS. Guess I should also give credit to the Roadsmart III tire on clean pavement. Bottom line, Ducati ABS works better than the previous generation versions.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Good info.

The one in my neighborhood is $7600 with 12,500 miles. It's not an S, but does have ABS. Only extras are top and side cases.
@Wolverine1; what's the coolant issue you're referring to? I've only come across mentions of leaks that were repairable once located.

Anyone have any thoughts on the possibility or practicality of upgrading the base model to S suspension? Plug and play? I'm no stranger to trolling e-bay for deals...

·
Registered
478 Posts
A friend has a 2010 and I have a 2011, both have been reliable.
The 2010 is coming up on 40K and I am at 25K. Both of us have the S model and you would be surprised how much you will toggle in between the set ups on day trips.
We also up-graged to the Ohlins Mechatronics semi active suspension control unit.

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Another -10 S owner.
Fullsystem termignoni, Öhlins SCU, fueling and shorty windscreen are top mods. Aswell as 15/42 gearing.

I didn't think there was a mts without ABS in 2010..

Regardless, it's a great bike. I've had mine since late 2010 and still love It. Great for commute and twisties. I've also done some touring and even a couple of trackdays.
Trackdays aren't really what it's great at, but it does alright.

I know Ohlins offer a plug and play upgrade kit for the base model. It has all the same gear as the oem S -version in regards off suspension. Except for the motored preload as I recall.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
https://www.ohlins.com/2014/09/ohli...ultistrada-all-rounder-even-more-versatility/

From website
But owners of the base model Ducati Multistrada 1200 haven’t been left out. The world of Öhlins semi-active suspension is still accessible, thanks to an upgrade kit that provides every part required. The kit includes new forks, a new shock absorber, a new dashboard, an SCU and, of course, everything required for installation.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Good info.

The one in my neighborhood is $7600 with 12,500 miles. It's not an S, but does have ABS. Only extras are top and side cases.

@Wolverine1; what's the coolant issue you're referring to? I've only come across mentions of leaks that were repairable once located.

Anyone have any thoughts on the possibility or practicality of upgrading the base model to S suspension? Plug and play? I'm no stranger to trolling e-bay for deals...
Lots of info a search away:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/679498-cylinder-head-corrosion.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/309545-coolant-update-will-expire-12-31-2013-a.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/145576-coolant-recall.html

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
https://www.ohlins.com/2014/09/ohli...ultistrada-all-rounder-even-more-versatility/

From website
But owners of the base model Ducati Multistrada 1200 haven’t been left out. The world of Öhlins semi-active suspension is still accessible, thanks to an upgrade kit that provides every part required. The kit includes new forks, a new shock absorber, a new dashboard, an SCU and, of course, everything required for installation.
I was looking at those and the only pricing I found was of course brand new and was around $4,500, which just doesn't pencil out.

After doing a bit more research, it seems the base model would require the dashboard, so probably not easy to piece together a second-hand option.

With the advice here, I intend to keep looking for an S model. Prices on the base ones are hard to look past, though. Patience...

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Currently riding a '99 ST2 and thinking about moving to an MTS.
Youre on the right track.

Initial price tag is an issue for me, so I'm looking at the older models. There are two 2010's in my area with current maintenance, low miles and no mods for less than $8k.
You will find better deals than this. Keyword, find. You have to look and you have to stay consistant. I had a friend in the bay area selll his 11 Sport with 30k miles for $5.5k. Stellar bikes.

Given the Ohlins + SCU upgrade available on the S model, is there any point in considering the base model?
Unfortunately you are only able to use the Ohlins Semi ECU with an Ohlins equipped MTS 10-12.

@wetzel think again pal :wink2:

Look for an S / S-Touring

You will end up paying more than its worth to upgrade the suspension on a non s. Not to mention all the finiky situations you'll find yourself in if something doesnt work right or breaks down the road.

From website
I do not recommend going this route. Not worth the savings if you can even call them that. You have been warned.

Prices on the base ones are hard to look past, though. Patience...
Patience is key. Trust me, we are creatures of habitual instincts. We want things and we want them now. Think of it this way, would rather ride now with a bike you will want to upgrade shortly or right in a few months with a bike that you swear you'll never rid of :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Youre on the right track.
Well... I sat on the new Supersport and it's definitely in the back of my mind.:grin2:

You will find better deals than this. Keyword, find. You have to look and you have to stay consistant. I had a friend in the bay area selll his 11 Sport with 30k miles for $5.5k. Stellar bikes.
Ouch!!! Average book for that in my zip code is $9,700. I troll Craigslist for Ducs regularly --never seen any under $7500, even in the dead of winter.

Think of it this way, would rather ride now with a bike you will want to upgrade shortly or right in a few months with a bike that you swear you'll never rid of :)
This is really the heart of my question. Non-S owners report being perfectly happy with their suspension. S-owners, not surprisingly recommend the Ohlins set up. Coming from an ST2, I imagine either would be a huge step up, and even the base suspension beyond my riding ability.

But you're right. I likely would be left wondering if I should've gotten the S model. Of course, if I get the S, I'd probably wonder why I just didn't bite the bullet and get the PP with the sexy colors :grin2:

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
But you're right. I likely would be left wondering if I should've gotten the S model. Of course, if I get the S, I'd probably wonder why I just didn't bite the bullet and get the PP with the sexy colors
You could always get your Multi some paint or stickers if you like the PP look!

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is really the heart of my question. Non-S owners report being perfectly happy with their suspension. S-owners, not surprisingly recommend the Ohlins set up. Coming from an ST2, I imagine either would be a huge step up, and even the base suspension beyond my riding ability.
Would you be happy saving money and using tools to set suspension verses pressing buttons?
But more importantly consider:
Ohlins setup on 2010-2012 S with SCU upgrade gives you semi-active function. This means less front dive when braking hard. Also allows option for setting for more comfortable softer suspension that automatically firms up at high rpm/high speed. When I added the SCU, to me, that was the huge step up. Not really related to riding ability. More related to do you want to be perfectly happy, or for little more $, perfectly happier.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ouch!!! Average book for that in my zip code is $9,700. I troll Craigslist for Ducs regularly --never seen any under $7500, even in the dead of winter.
I live in Massachusetts and the book value for my bike in MA is around the same. I bought the bike from a guy in North Carolina, flew down and rode it back up. I paid him just over 8k (just a hair over $1 for each mile he put on the bike), including the flight.

Maybe fly-and-rides don't work out for everybody but I talked with this guy for a while before buying, he did a video call with me and walked around the bike (and I happened to see his garage- turns out he was a Nascar engineer and the Multi was his garage queen), and then we met in person because he happened to be in NH for a weekend, so I was pretty confident it was going to work out, and it did. What I'm saying is- if you can stomach 1000 miles back home, extend your search area :wink2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts