Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been interested in adding a Hypermotard to my lineup ever since I spent a day on one hooning around the roads close to Lucca, Italy on an air cooled Hyper in 2010. It was an amazing bike on those tight roads. I've owned many Ducatis since then, but my current road ride is a 1290 Superduke. I absolutely love this bike and would never get rid of it. I'm looking for a bike I can ride in the tighter stuff and the Hyper seems like it's what I'm looking for. I can't get the feeling of that ride 8 years ago out of my head. It was as if I could roll into the corners at whatever speed I felt like and the bike would take care of the rest. I've been waiting for the KTM 790 to appear stateside as well, but likely to be the end of the year before it shows up. I'd be interested in your thoughts and if the current model has that same handling feel as the original one I took out on those beautiful Italian roads. Thanks for your help.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Get a older multistrada and save yourself the coin. Same motor with more practicality. The super duke should check all the boxes the Hyper does and if it doesnt, you arent riding it correctly. Not to mention buying a watercooled hyper isnt going to bring you back to Italy, two different motorcycles.

GL

Reactions: tyr and UTEDUC

·
Registered
406 Posts
Test the SP and see if you like it. If you do, member Kuksul has an 821 for sale that I'd buy and have shipped. It has great mods expert;y implemented.

The 821 is lighter and in the twisties I can't imagine the slight power gain of the new one would make any difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plan for tomorrow, live for today. If you've got the money to burn, get the new one. If you're on a budget, any of them will make you happy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a older multistrada and save yourself the coin. Same motor with more practicality. The super duke should check all the boxes the Hyper does and if it doesnt, you arent riding it correctly. Not to mention buying a watercooled hyper isnt going to bring you back to Italy, two different motorcycles.

GL
I'm happy to say, you were wrong. Absolutely loved this bike. Railed through corners. Rode it regular and supermoto style. It didn't really care. I wouldn't ride my super duke that way. Obviously not as powerful as the SD, but the smile factor is non-stop. Got a great deal on a left over 2017. Should be picking it up next week when they put the Termi system on and do the remap. It didn't feel the same as my SD. The riding position is even more upright. One thing I noticed on this bike as I have with almost all the Ducatis I've ridden with throttle by wire systems, you have to open the throttle a lot more to get any initial pull. My SD is just like a conventional throttle despite it being a throttle by wire system. Does the remap help with this? Anyway, I look forward to riding this thing more.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Congrats! Yes the Termi full system with the open lid & the new map plus deleting the flapper valve makes it feel like a different bike! Make sure to set your engine mode to high & setting to Race & you will get a quicker throttle response .

Post some pics when you get it home??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bought a new 2018 Hyper 939 SP. Almost to 600 miles today, and we are still getting to know each other, but it is a smile all day, any day I get to ride it. I have no regrets, and it just keeps getting better. If I had to do it over again, I'd not change anything, down to the SP model.

Good luck!

·
Registered
195 Posts
One thing I noticed on this bike as I have with almost all the Ducatis I've ridden with throttle by wire systems, you have to open the throttle a lot more to get any initial pull. My SD is just like a conventional throttle despite it being a throttle by wire system. Does the remap help with this? Anyway, I look forward to riding this thing more.
No, look up Ducati Spacers, you'll see what happens with the throttle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I purchased a 2016 Monster 821 Stripe in lieu of the Hypermoto but the Hypermoto would have been a better purchase. I had just sold my air cooled Hyper 796 and wanted something really different. But I miss that upright riding position.

The looks of the Hyper SP alone about drive me crazy.

NC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice! Congrats! You will not be disappointed!

Safe travels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts