Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, been riding a diavel for a few seasons now and I've been itching to get something a bit more special. Top of my list is a mid 90's 900ss or a 999, and as luck would have it a 2003 999s has come up for sale locally. I know the basics about this bike, but are there any specific things I should look out for? I'm aware of the regular maintenance items to question but is there anything specific to this model that should be checked?

Thx in advance!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently about 8000km, don’t know how many owners. Seller has been kind of evasive on my questions by email actually

Tell me about the maintenance?
-Don’t ride it much, fluids every year.
Which fluids?
-No answer.

Tell me the date code on the tires and last belt change?
-Tires are good, belts not needed at 8k
Send me a pic of the tires showing date codes.
-No answer.

Im skeptical but I’m going to view the bike and see for myself. But really here I’m looking for things to watch out for on the 999 in general.

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, been riding a diavel for a few seasons now and I've been itching to get something a bit more special. Top of my list is a mid 90's 900ss or a 999, and as luck would have it a 2003 999s has come up for sale locally. I know the basics about this bike, but are there any specific things I should look out for? I'm aware of the regular maintenance items to question but is there anything specific to this model that should be checked?

Thx in advance!
Ironically I have both bikes you are considering-a 96 900SS/SP and a 05 999S. When I went in search of a 999, I was advised by my mechanic and others to look for a 05 or newer. There were some changes that year that improved the 999, including a deeper oil sump and a slight facelift. Others will chime in I'm sure.
That being said, if you are coming from a Diavel, be prepared for a huge shift in the comfort zone. My Triple 9 makes my 900SS feel like a road sofa. However the thrill of the 999S makes me forget all that and as long as I plan to ride my "Dark Mistress" in the twisties, which is where she shines, it's all good. Also, mine came with the non-optional seat warmer. On hot days you will be wondering how to turn off the microwave on your right leg and butt. Solution-avoid riding in any traffic or in town! She's like a shark-gotta keep moving! For distance riding I have a Triumph Tiger or Aprilia Futura in the garage.

I kind of look at the Triple 9 as the ultimate luxury-stunning to look at, beautifully crafted, and narrowly focused.
I realize you are looking for more technical advice, and I'm sure you will get it here. Welcome to the Forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thx for the input, that’s a nice collection you have there. I came from sport bikes originally so I’m fine with the comfort concerns and the intent is the 999/900ss (or whatever I wind up with) will be a babied second bike. Lovely black 99 btw.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Apparently about 8000km, don’t know how many owners. Seller has been kind of evasive on my questions by email actually

Tell me about the maintenance?
-Don’t ride it much, fluids every year.
Which fluids?
-No answer.

Tell me the date code on the tires and last belt change?
-Tires are good, belts not needed at 8k
Send me a pic of the tires showing date codes.
-No answer.

Im skeptical but I’m going to view the bike and see for myself. But really here I’m looking for things to watch out for on the 999 in general.

Thanks
With answers like that I'd keep looking. If the seller only thinks mileage affects the belt than for all you know they could be original and really these are the most important item in terms of maintenance. At 8K valves likely have never been checked but would need to be at 10,000 km based on Ducati's schedule.

I have a 2003 999S motor in my 749. I don't use it a lot but it's never given me trouble, nor had the original 749 motor which endured 3 yrs of track use when it already had 10,000km.

also all S models have the deep sump engine and better cams so you don't need to worry about that.

Here's a couple of links that'll give you a little more info. Seems like if maintenance is kept up and it has a good battery then you'll be fine

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/129838-queries-reliability-issues-03-04-749-999-a-2.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/17988-03-04-999-problems.html

·
Registered
249 Posts
A lot of people buy these bikes not knowing the Ducati maintenance or any maintenance to be honest. It may be someone who don’t really know what you are asking and is over their head on the bike. I’d say at least check it out and ask very specific questions and make sure the seller can back them up with receipts.

·
comrade moderator
27,183 Posts
Otherwise the prices goes down, down, down. These things don't mean it's a bad bike, just things you'll need to take care of.

Jetta, could you please fill out your location in the UserCP?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
8000 km is really low for a 15 year old bike. Expect to change tires, belts, all fluids and check the timing too. Would probably do some maintenance on the suspension too. Early models had some faulty ECUs, but surely if this had one it's changed already.

In general I wouldn't mind about whether it's 03-04 or 05-06 model. So the later model has slightly better engine and different looks? You will also pay extra for that and when it comes to riding the bike you wont notice any difference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx. I’m actually good with doing most of the maintenance myself, just need to confirm what is needed going in so I can price accordingly. ECU is another great tip to look for!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thx. I’m actually good with doing most of the maintenance myself, just need to confirm what is needed going in so I can price accordingly. ECU is another great tip to look for!
At least in my case what it did was after 5+ minutes of riding the EOBD (engine) light turned on and stayed on. As fas as I can remember it didn't affect the performance, but Ducati changed the ECU for a new one. If it's a monoposto the rear subframes used to crack. Also something Ducati fixed under warranty(or goodwill). Then again "knowing" your potential bike's current owner I bet you wont get any worthy answers, if you start asking about faulty ECUs or subframes :D

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The 03 999s engine is the same as the newer 06 , hp measurements changed from the old to new making many think the engines were upgraded like the base 999 was . As often bikes sit and unless the seller has fresh receipts for belts , I would plan on replacing any belt driven Ducati’s belts upon purchase . Same with tires , for the money you replace them often so it’s not much of a selling feature .
Things to look for , how it starts ( shows state of tune and battery condition ) and if it idles well cold and hot . Aftermarket exhaust is hard to find and pricey now , and something the triple 9 needs as they are very quiet . Key issues can be pricey as well , unless you reflash delegating the immobilizer. Btw given a little above average mechanical ability it’s an easy bike to do service work , except for tuning the fuel injection ( specific equipment needed ) 60,000 km on my 749 with a 999s engine , if I sold it for a dollar it would still be the best money I have spent on two wheels

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx. It appears to come with full termignoni installed plus oem exhaust included.
Another question, any ideas on about how much more should I look at paying for an S model vs a similar mileage/condition standard 999 for 2003?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another question, any ideas on about how much more should I look at paying for an S model vs a similar mileage/condition standard 999 for 2003?
Kind of hard to say as there's so few available for sale, and really open to opinions. There's 2 such bikes for sale here in Alberta, a black 2004 base which looks completely for $6000 and a red 2003 S model for $12,000 (which I suspect is the one you're inquiring about). It really comes down to how much you want the Ohlins suspension and the 10 or so extra HP the S motor puts out.

Just my opinion but for these 2 particular bikes I'd say a premium of 3-4000 is worth it for the 03 999S, it does have the Termi exhaust and I see other bits added like aftermarket rearsets, carbon fender & hugger.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ke/1347584143?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...99/1364578185?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,253 Posts
I believe they all came with a code card as new. If it's missing, there's no way to get a replacement or otherwise learn the code. Wish there was. :|

1 - 20 of 24 Posts