Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a recommendation on a new torque wrench. Not too expensive, say under $75. The click type is preferable. Can I get a reliable and accurate one for this price? I'm looking for advice and experiences. My last one was a Craftsman beam type. I must have lost it in my last house move.

Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Buy MAC tools or Snap-On....Cost more but accurate and well worth the bucks...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I doubt that you will find a torque wrench on the Mac or Snap-on truck for $75..... Maybe at sear though. I use a Harbor Freight cheapy. It seems to be accurate and I would rather dump big money into tool I use often. I have probably use my tq wrench less than 10 time since I got it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What are you going to torque? If it is light stuff, skip the torque wrench. If it is head bolts or other important stuff like axles, pay for a good one. My SnapOn 3/8" click was like $180 but it is worth it.

BTW, note to owners of click style torque wrenches. Make sure you unscrew/unload the spring for storage and it will stay calibrated for much longer.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
fraz said:
BTW, note to owners of click style torque wrenches. Make sure you unscrew/unload the spring for storage and it will stay calibrated for much longer.
+1
This is very important.

And NEVER use your torque wrench to remove bolts, no matter WHAT torque you can set the wrench to.

//amullo

·
Registered
230 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
I doubt that you will find a torque wrench on the Mac or Snap-on truck for $75..... Maybe at sear though. I use a Harbor Freight cheapy. It seems to be accurate and I would rather dump big money into tool I use often. I have probably use my tq wrench less than 10 time since I got it.
+1 on the Harbor Freight jobber..... Works just fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you get what you pay for when you buy tools. buy a good one, snap on, matco, mac, even craftsman. dont go cheap on something like this.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
fraz said:
What are you going to torque? If it is light stuff, skip the torque wrench.
That's the one I use most. I've got three, small, normal, and big. The big one's only for flywheel and clutch nuts, the normal's for most else, but the small one gets used most since I've got a lot of aluminum fasteners, and if you don't torque them right they'll either break, or loosen up.

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
mark_mtb said:
Buy MAC tools or Snap-On....Cost more but accurate and well worth the bucks...

I second the Snap-On. I bought the battery powered digital read out in 3/8 and 1/4 and its the best investment I have made. Not $75 but worth every dollar. Check it out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice, guys. I checked eBay and saw that I could pick up a Snap-On for a reasonable price. But do they hold the calibration, or is a used torque wrench just buying a problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
MarcP said:
Thanks for the advice, guys. I checked eBay and saw that I could pick up a Snap-On for a reasonable price. But do they hold the calibration, or is a used torque wrench just buying a problem?
The answer to that is how the tool was treated. Some take great care of their tools and others do not. It is hard to tell when buy on ebay. I would ask the seller if the t/w is his own, is he the only owner, and what was the usage. Most sellers with good auction histories will tell the truth to protect their ratings.

I have had the Sears click type for years and it has always performed well and has stayed in spec.

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
For the average person, how can one tell if their torque wrench is in specs? If it is out of specs, can it be fixed?

I have a 15 year-old, click-type Sears Craftsman torque wrench and I wonder sometimes about its accuracy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shoie said:
For the average person, how can one tell if their torque wrench is in specs? If it is out of specs, can it be fixed?

I have a 15 year-old, click-type Sears Craftsman torque wrench and I wonder sometimes about its accuracy.
My Sears click type can be adjusted, by disengaging the castellated ring nut and rotating it either direction to raise or lower the torque required to "click".
I have checked its accuracy by using it against another convential bar type torque wrench using a 1/2" coupling. If you want a certification, there are testing labs around country that will give you documentation when they calibrate yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts