Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20+ year Ducati owner and long-time SF forum lurker. I thought I was familiar enough with the tank swelling when I went to look at a bike a few days ok but after reading more here, I'll probably have to go back and look again at some areas of the tank. I took some pics of the areas that made me leery. At full lock, the left grip comes so close to the tank that the horn button almost makes contact. The other pics are of leading edges of both side panels which stick out from the tank surface about a quarter inch on each side. I did not pay enough attention to the gas cap area nor did I notice any waves in the tank surface but lighting was not great. If I go back and look I'll bring bright light with me. In the meantime, I wanted to ask the knowledge base here. Tomorrow I might go look at a SFS at another dealer to see how it compares to the white one in the pics. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is possible someone adjusted the handlebars to be closer, the side trims do look to be sticking out a bit more than they should. How did the ignition cover look, that is one of the things that seems to be affected as well as how close the fork tubes come to the tank at full lock.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
There are a lot of areas to look at to see if the tank has swelled, but there are two that are tell tale signs. While sitting on the bike look down the fork tubes and pay attention to the cut outs on the tank and the clearances between the forks and tank cut outs. With the bars straight and at full lock. If the clearance isn't even with the bars straight or the fork leg clearance is uneven or about to touch the tank has swelled up. Also look at the ignition key clearance. They aren't centered perfectly when new but if any part is really uneven or touching the key surround the tank is swelling. I had clearance issues with both of these areas on my large tank 1098SFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ive had 3 tanks swell, its not an over all ballon effect on the tank its unusual lines,, run your hand down the side if its not stright and there are large bulges thats what your looking for...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I'm going to have to go back up and have a look at the tank again or ask the salesman I was talking to send me some pictures. I thought the bars could have been adjusted too far back too. I should have thought to check the fork tube clearance. So, when I go back I will:

1. Check the area around the ignition for any glaring clearance issues.
2. Look down the forks to check clearance by the tank cutouts.
3. Bulges or waves in the tank and deviations where the lines should be straight.

The bike seems to be in good shape overall. It is at a Triumph dealer and other than the salesman having owned two Ducatis no one there had any knowledge about the bike itself.

If it works out, I'll be posting some pictures. I've always loved the SF's. Rode the 848 a few times but never pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
A couple more things to consider if you liked the 848sf and like the engine character. The 1098sf engine is more uncivilized because it has very aggressive camshaft overlap compared to the 848sf. Another thing is that the white 1098 you're looking at is a base model with no TC. It was only offered for one year that way. The 848sf always had TC.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One reason I wasn't looking for base models was the TC but it isn't a deal breaker at the price point of the white base SF I looked at this week. If a clean 848 showed up, I'd consider it just for the longer valve service intervals but I always thought it felt too smooth riding around. My comparison is pretty skewed though. My 851 has high compression pistons and big valve heads. It spits and surges at part throttle and does not like being kept under 5k RPM. It's uncompromising and to be honest, a bit exhausting at times. The cammy nature raucous description of the 1098 is more of what I look for in a motorcycle. Back when both models were on the showroom floor, I wish I had a chance to ride a 1098 back to back with an 848 because I liked the 848 steering geometry and nimbleness. Tomorrow I'm looking at a red SFS which I'd rather have over the white base but the price difference is substantial between the two dealers. Thanks

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
If you like raw then a 1098sf will definitely work for you. The S model is definitely something else. The Ohlins suspension is really nice. Especially once you take the time to adjust it and get it dialed in properly.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
When my Monster tank swells you can look under the tank at the rubber tank cushions and the u - shaped sections no longer come down squarely on the frame tubes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When my Monster tank swells you can look under the tank at the rubber tank cushions and the u - shaped sections no longer come down squarely on the frame tubes.
I'll add that to the list of places I look when I go back. Tomorrow finally going to look at the SFS. A very clean looking 848 just came up for sale but it's 2 hours away. Pretty tempting.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll add that to the list of places I look when I go back. Tomorrow finally going to look at the SFS. A very clean looking 848 just came up for sale but it's 2 hours away. Pretty tempting.
My biggest motorcycle purchase regret was not getting the SFS, and ended up with the SF848. By the time I had settled on getting a SF it was 2014 and I was not wanting to buy an used bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My biggest motorcycle purchase regret was not getting the SFS, and ended up with the SF848. By the time I had settled on getting a SF it was 2014 and I was not wanting to buy an used bike.
The SFS I went to look at Friday was sold (and not to me) despite being listed as available on the dealer website. I would have passed anyway based on some deep (down to the plastic) paint damage on the tank. That leaves the original white SF1098 that started this thread and a red 848 that's two hours away from me but looks very clean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own a 2010 SFS and I must admit I really enjoy riding it. It's like the best kept secret in motorcycling. Highly recommend getting the 1098 SF if you can. A hoot to ride!

·
Bon Vivant
10,497 Posts

The SF tank mount is very different from a Monster and the swelling does not affect the mount in the same way, it does not sit on the frame it slide onto 2 frame pins at the front and has a single bolt at the rear. - It could affect the bolt alignment at the rear of the tank. You can take the bolt out but once it swells getting the bolt back in may prove difficult.

·
Bon Vivant
10,497 Posts
The SFS I went to look at Friday was sold (and not to me) despite being listed as available on the dealer website. I would have passed anyway based on some deep (down to the plastic) paint damage on the tank. That leaves the original white SF1098 that started this thread and a red 848 that's two hours away from me but looks very clean.

If you want the full experience I'd wait and find a 1098. I've ridden both and after the 1098 the 848 feels pretty tame.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The SF tank mount is very different from a Monster and the swelling does not affect the mount in the same way, it does not sit on the frame it slide onto 2 frame pins at the front and has a single bolt at the rear. - It could affect the bolt alignment at the rear of the tank. You can take the bolt out but once it swells getting the bolt back in may prove difficult.
Good to know. The 2 pins and rear bolt set up is what I'm used to on my 851. I'm waiting to hear back from the shop with a few pictures of the tank on the white 1098. I think I'm losing interest in the bike though. The shop has no maintenance records for it from the previous owner. They couldn't tell me how old the belts were and the bike is about 2500 miles away from a scheduled valve service. I'm willing to do the belts myself but I'd rather have the valves checked by a mechanic first before I give it a shot myself next time.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just wanted to see if you were local. If the tank is just swollen and not deformed I wouldn't worry about it. In the off season drain it and pop the fuel pump base. Then store the tank in dry location. They do shrink back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to see if you were local. If the tank is just swollen and not deformed I wouldn't worry about it. In the off season drain it and pop the fuel pump base. Then store the tank in dry location. They do shrink back.
Thanks. I wish the dealer had some maintenance history for the bike. Factoring in valves, the price comes up to a few other bikes (admittedly not as local) from owner's that have their service records. If I'm willing to travel four hours, there's a 1098 with an aluminum tank and the original stock tank. That's pretty tempting too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts