Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
......I do not like how the fairing meets the tank. They should at least have used the Sport 1000 tank instead of the Paul Smart/Sport 1000S tank.

.....but that is just me......

Ciaoooo

Moller

·
Official Retired Person
7,489 Posts
Agreed. Nice bike but . . .

The Sport tank would look better.

But I like the black valve covers. I'm gonna do that to my GT.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The tail section is ‘smart’ (excuse the pun). I like the twin pipes high up and the tail unit. The builders missed a trick with the Ohlins and brakes. They could have really upgraded those units. And finally the faring is all wrong to me. My ideal PS dating would be an homage to the 750/ 900 units of the olden days with a curved brace coming up just on the side of the tanks and the bottom of the daring inline with the bottom of the tank. Would slim it down and make it curvaceous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1993 750SS
345 Posts
No full tuck on that bike...but that's probably not what its for

·
Registered
563 Posts
At first I liked it in the photo you posted. Then I saw this angle. Not so much a fan now. Particularly don't care for the small headlight and squared off seat. Sorry, I'd take a stock one over this.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a fan of the Paul Smart models (please don't kill me lol), but I like how they made this bike look really clean.
AstuteDunce...you have been banned from the Sport Classic forum for this post.
Just kidding. Everyone has their own tastes and I get it.

......I do not like how the fairing meets the tank. They should at least have used the Sport 1000 tank instead of the Paul Smart/Sport 1000S tank.
.....but that is just me......
I agree with this. It just looks weird with the line and little gap showing above the fairing. From the article, it sounds like they wanted to easily be able to put everything back on to bring it back to its original form.
At first I liked it in the photo you posted. Then I saw this angle. Not so much a fan now. Particularly don't care for the small headlight and squared off seat. Sorry, I'd take a stock one over this.
Yes, I agree with your comment. When I look at mine from this angle with the normal fairing, it still looks a little funky but not as bad as this. Compared to a normal PS, she does look a little thinner. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would want to hear those pipes before I paid the bill. I'm betting obnoxious and tinny would describe the sound.

·
Premium Member
1976 900SS , 2007 Sports Classic 1000S
101 Posts
Nyah. Looks like a half arsed attempt to get it to look like a Bevel at the front.
Each to their own...

·
Registered
298 Posts
They took a timeless classic and made it a retro late 80s bike that looks worse

The Bad:
  • The front fairing was made smaller... why? the whole bike is supposed to be a updated look from the 70s version of the fairing at the time. They basically tried to replicate the MV Agusta superveloce look... guess what, it doesn't work for this bike.
  • The fairing doesn't even fit the tank lines at all and the hardware used makes it look like you are supposed to remove it often vs keeping it on the bike.

The Good
  • Engine farkle
  • Rear seat - It took some time to get the same shape of the tank into the seat, I think this is basically the biggest highlight of the bike, shows off a little more frame and blends the top side of the bike. I still perfer the stock cowling but this is a nice change that hasn't been done before.

Total thought analog did this bike as well but they didn't, at least they made the seat look way better than a huge couch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this and thinking... Meh. I didn't even notice the issue where the fairing meets the tank, now I can't I see it.

The fairing is what did it for me though. doesn't match the scale and lines of the bike at all, the tank specifically. Maybe if they had done a custom tank (I say this like it's easy) that kept a similar look but fit everything a little better, I think it could have been really beautiful. I like the fairing they made, just on a different bike maybe.

I actually like the tail, looks to be modeled well after the front/top of the tank. That angle of the photo does make it look too square though. maybe a slight curve on the top/front would've lessened that effect.

All in all I'm just an armchair designer here, and couldn't do what they did, so kudos to them.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
170 Posts
Props to the builders on taking on the endeavor to redo a timeless classic. But I must join the peanut gallery and say that what they did here does not work for me. The fairing to tank proportion is off and I seat does not strike a fancy for me. What I do like is that they didnt put any bright colored accent parts all over the place that plagues some builds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts