Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know it's nearly impossible to find the recommended Shell Advance Ultra Oil in 15-50, but my dealer actually stocks it for $12.99/quart. My 2012 has only 4k miles on it, but at least I'm ready when she hits 7500 miles!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Maybe, but having it at the dealer is completely epic considering how difficult it is to find in North America. Good find, tallmike.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
You can find it on Amazon.
The guy on Amazon only has 10w-40.

I wonder if Ducati brings it in and most dealers opt not to carry it?

I couldn't find a US distributor for it.

But there's enough good oil available through U.S. Motorcycle Parts Distributors like Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited that it's a non issue.

(I have 2 Ducatis in the shed with their original oil sticker from the factory still on them...one is Castrol and one is Agip...:D )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can find it on Amazon.
Amazon.com doesn't have it in 15-50, only Amazon.it does.

The Dealer said that a Shell rep came in and asked if they wanted it. Before the Shell oil they were using Motul, but said they're happy to now offer what's recommended by Ducati.

If you're in So Cal and looking for it let me know and I'll provide the Dealer to you

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Damn it; I peeled the Shell sticker off my bike!:D I commend you on the size of your "stones" for waiting till 7500 miles. I've got little under 5K miles on mine and I am on my 6th oil change!:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn it; I peeled the Shell sticker off my bike!:D I commend you on the size of your "stones" for waiting till 7500 miles. I've got little under 5K miles on mine and I am on my 6th oil change!:D
I'm assuming that you're really beating the crap outta your engine to warrant changing the oil every 800ish miles. Mine was changed at the initial break-in service, but according to the manual it's supposed to be changed every 7,500 miles (12,000km).

Maybe you can get another Shell sticker? :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm assuming that you're really beating the crap outta your engine to warrant changing the oil every 800ish miles. Mine was changed at the initial break-in service, but according to the manual it's supposed to be changed every 7,500 miles (12,000km).

Maybe you can get another Shell sticker? :D
I changed it at 600 and twice a year afterwards. You know where I can find another sticker?:D

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I halve the factory oil interval and do 3750, and use a proven JASO MA2 compliant ester synthetic 15W50. I'm hesitant to go beyond that.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
The Dealer said that a Shell rep came in and asked if they wanted it. Before the Shell oil they were using Motul, but said they're happy to now offer what's recommended by Ducati.
I'm not implying the Ducati-recommended Shell oil is less than adequate. I have no doubt it's up to the task. What I'm weary of is manufacturers suggesting that their branded products, or those they 'recommend' are somehow better than other products which are commercially available.

The height of such ridiculousness, IMO, came in the not-too-distant past when Harley dealers were all but saying their motorcycle engines would not function properly UNLESS owners use branded Harley Davidson oil, which is (if I remember the spiel correctly) 'formulated for the specific needs of HD's air-cooled, V-twin engines.' As my Rabbi friend says 'Oy Gevalt!'

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I've never been to a Ducati dealer ! Sad thing considering my sister is friends with the owner. 75 miles east or west to closest dealer. The H-D dealer closed a few years ago, and even the Honda-Yamaha-Suzuki dealer is closing now. The economy still sucks here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts