Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Feel free to shoot me down in flames if
A) my question is a stoopid one :eek: ,
B) has been asked and answered.

I have a Red Sport 1000 S with lowers on and want to remove the mirrors as I think they detract from the beautiful fairing. I know many have gone this route and installed bar-end mirrors.
I have seen about 3 bikes , 2 current 1000S's and one 70's SS without mirrors and I think they are just beautiful , but to die for ????

I live in San Diego , don't commute on my Desmo , but usually bring up the rear on the group rides with 5 or 6 other faster riders.

So do I REALLY need the mirrors?

Let me know what you think

·
Registered
300 Posts
Considering I hardly ever make a move without a head check first (street riding), I guess mirrors can be an option left out. With that said, for me, I keep them on :)

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I think you are required to have at least one mirror in CA. My '68 Triumph didn't come with mirrors but I wouldn't think of riding without one. Too dangerous.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I went for the soft option and threw a set of crg hindsights on my S. Now the fairing doesn't have the Shrek ears happening but i still have the rear vision i require. I'd much prefer it without any mirrors and just have some nice bar ends on... Don't know if the local constabulary would agree :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Most states require at least one mirror to be street legal. Also, though I always do a head check when changing lanes and such, I like having a mirror when stopped at intersections to see if that SUV barreling down on my six really intends to stop or not. Also worth having if you pass a cop running hot so you can see if they light up.

If you don't mind the asymmetry, why not just run a single bar end mirror on the left side. Safe and street legal, but aesthetically pleasing when viewed from the beauty (right) side.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I got the GT took the mirrors off and went for a ride, I Quickly put them back on, way to dangerous bought a set of CRG type mirrors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yes, unfortunately i agree, one must balance form and function (safety in this case)... :eek:
compromise and get some crg or rizomas or something more discreet.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
California requires a mirror

Scroll about 2/3 way down on the page link below to the blue box with the red bike in it-

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

I love my CRG Hindsights (pair) and use them a lot.

·
Registered
555 Posts
how can you even think that not being aware of what's behind you is not important? That's how so many dumb ass car drivers collect bikes.

ya ya but I ride fast - right. Awareness needs to be all over, including what is going on behind you. On a racetrack it's reasonable to assume a certain level of expertise from those behind you. On a public road one must assume all others are idiot-sticks.

There's heaps of bar end options. I've just gone that route myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I realize that looks tend to be the most important thing we think about regarding all things motorcycle, but please take your safety and well being more seriously than that.

It's dangerous enough just being on a motorcycle in traffic anyway. Definitely be able to see all the way around you at all times.

You don't want to be lying in a hospital bed unable to move, thinking, "Man, I shoulda left those mirrors on the bike."

This is how I feel about full-face helmets vs. open-face helmets, and basically all proper riding gear, as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Everytime I turn off of the road I am on I glance in the mirror on that side. TWICE in one year I had an someone in a hurry pass me on the left as I was turning I would be dead twice over if I didnt look in the mirror

·
Registered
900 Posts
Most bikes look better without mirrors. I think most places require at least a left side mirror.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK , no contest

answer is A :think:
and yes safety is my priority,
I humbly agree with ALL comments .

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have gone as far as fitting blind spot mirrors to the bar end mirrors on the GT.....and they look crap....but I am even more aware of what is around me with them. It's got me buggered why most modern cars have blind spot split mirrors as standard....but bikes...nah...flat out getting standard mirrors that work. The 696 Monster mirrors are the worst I have ever used...shortly followed by BMW R1200RT mirrors.

Anyway...my safety on the bike is very important to me so is my health....I thought differently when I was young...now I treasure every day of good health and thank god my forks arrived today :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts