Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n gals, new here but have been a Ducati fan for a long time. A little about me been riding all kinds of bikes for 30+ years, amateur road racing, some off road and lately KTM Super Duke (sold 2wks ago), HD Breakout (for sale/almost sold) so I want to get a Multi and the question comes down to 2018 new Multi 950 or a 2016 Multi 1200 low miles <5000. Most of my riding is alone, and mostly tarmac, love the twisties, we do enjoy long trips and want something more comfortable for that 30% or so that its 2 up riding.I miss the super duke's crazy power that's why I'm looking at the 1200 but I wonder if I'm going to miss it on the 950... Is there really a big difference? I know itrs 30 hp... service intervals (12000 mi) I do most of my wrenching and can probably do the desmo service my self, are there any big probs with the 1200 besides the rear brake fluid? is there any issues with the 950 besides the clutch? I'm on the heavy side 250# and my wife 130# will that be a problem on the 950, we normally pack very light so 30# of gear or so.... newer or older bike???

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have a 2016 1200S, and absolutely love it. It's easier the most versatile bike I've ever seen, certainly that I've ever owned.

Is either of the bikes you're looking at an S? The reason I ask is the Skyhook suspension is truly amazing. In Tour mode it rides every bit as well as my Goldwing, while still handling exceptionally well. Click into Sport, and it's a sportbike with an upright riding position.

Keep in mind that the 950 still has 113hp, that's only 12hp less than a BMW 1200GS. The 950 is only underpowered compared to the insane amount of power Ducati managed to extract from a 1200cc 2-cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 2016 1200S, and absolutely love it. It's easier the most versatile bike I've ever seen, certainly that I've ever owned.

Is either of the bikes you're looking at an S? The reason I ask is the Skyhook suspension is truly amazing. In Tour mode it rides every bit as well as my Goldwing, while still handling exceptionally well. Click into Sport, and it's a sportbike with an upright riding position.

Keep in mind that the 950 still has 113hp, that's only 12hp less than a BMW 1200GS. The 950 is only underpowered compared to the insane amount of power Ducati managed to extract from a 1200cc 2-cylinder.
Great point on the 950 vs R hp, I've started looking at the 2015 MS1200, has the skyhook suspension been dependable in your opinion and based on what you've heard from others? Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
has the skyhook suspension been dependable
I have not had, nor heard of Skyhook issues with the 2015 generation forward. The pre-2015 bikes had Skyhook failures that were quite expensive to fix. Google Mutistrada DSS error. I purposely eliminated pre-2015 bikes due to this.
When I started typing this, I realized I have not heard of any issues with 2015+ Skyhook. Doesn't mean there aren't, but I haven't heard a single one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts