Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone live year round near the beach in New England. MTS will be stored about 100 yards from the beach but in a garage. Anyone in a similar situation; how has the bike held up? Any increased corrosion or other issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone live year round near the beach in New England. MTS will be stored about 100 yards from the beach but in a garage. Anyone in a similar situation; how has the bike held up? Any increased corrosion or other issues? Thanks.
Hi, I can throw a rock into the bay from my front porch...I also ride year round...and do so on salty roads from time to time. Until a few weeks ago, however, I had a BMW GS Adventure and I never had any salt-corrosion issues. The only spot I would see surface rust was on the cross bar of the center stand. Rocks had chipped away the paint down to the bare metal...I would just wipe it down once a month or so with wd-40 or S100 spray. I also would wash my bike every 2-3 weeks in the winter. Additionally, I have an old 1970 Yamaha XS1 that I store in an unheated shed (along with my GS...and now my MTS) year round. I wipe it down with S100 or wd-40 every 3-4 months...never seen any rust issues even though that bike is not at all as rust-proof as today's modern bikes. I wouldn't worry about it. If you do, just go wipe it down with wd-40 and look it over while you do it....it will put your mind at ease. I expect the Ducati to be just as good. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I live real close to the ocean...but I only have 70 miles on my bird so far. I have more concerns about condensation in the garage on those misty days. I keep a small fan in my garage to help move the air around and to wick moisture off the bike.
Seems to be a lot of folks here from the NE area...maybe a get together is in order.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I live near the beach in New England, but it's fresh water...

I have gone on some ill-advised early spring (late winter?) rides and gotten back to the house with a good coating of salt grime on the bike. I normally spend more time washing the bike than I did riding it after, but no corrosion to speak of. Well, no corrosion other than the chain, which scrubbed off pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I kept my Aprilias at a home that we owned at the beach. They were there for several years and other than the weird corrosion on the aluminum pieces, the bikes held up well. The corrosion washed off. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts