Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's done long mileage two up touring on their 1200?
How did it go for rider? passenger?
Did you have the larger panniers?
Any info would be appreciated.
Have ridden cross country solo on my old MTS 1100S and with the wife on my GS - looking for reference points.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I've taken my wife on day trips (4-6 hours on the seat). My daughter also.

My wife also rode with me on a Harley Road King earlier this year.

She finds the Multi much more comfortable. On the bumpy roads of Romania, the ride is a lot smoother than the Road King on the roads of Canada (less bumpy than those of Romania).

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I've taken my wife on day trips (4-6 hours on the seat). My daughter also.

My wife also rode with me on a Harley Road King earlier this year.

She finds the Multi much more comfortable. On the bumpy roads of Romania, the ride is a lot smoother than the Road King on the roads of Canada (less bumpy than those of Romania).
Has she ever complained about the feeling of being pushed forward a bit too much? That's what mine has mentioned so I'm not sure how she would do on an all day trip I have planned in October...

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Has she ever complained about the feeling of being pushed forward a bit too much? ...
Nope...

Actually yesterday I had my daughter on board and we spun through some very tight twisties (significant braking), and the bike felt really good.

Only complaint was stiffness after being in the same position so long (few rest breaks).

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife and I did about 1200 miles roundtrip from the Los Angeles area up to Lake Tahoe and back a couple of weeks ago on our MTS 1200 Touring, with full side and top cases. The bike handled very well considering it was fully loaded. We had it set on "Touring, 2-up, with luggage" the whole way. We averaged about 45 mpg during the whole trip, hitting highways and mountain passes.

Our main complaint with the bike was an unsettled feeling when riding behind a big truck or trailer...the bike didn't feel stable and got wobbly in the bad air so we learned quickly to get away from trucks and trailers. I'm still not 100% confident that the tube frame on this bike is strong/rigid enough for two-up riding with luggage. There seems to be some chassis flex on some of the more undulating pavement. Maybe someone can come up with an aftermarket fork brace such as the ones made by Wunderlich or Touratech for BMW GS's.

My wife and I felt stiff after 150 miles in the saddle. Although she says the riding position is way roomier than our old ST3S, she commented that the top case pushes her too forward in the seat and she can't lean back as much as she would like to, such as when we had our BMW K1200LT (a barco-lounger), or my older R1150RT with a top case. She doesn't have any problem in sliding on her seat due to hard braking due to our custom Bill Mayer saddles (which are awesome, by the way, and keep getting better every time we ride). I'm only 5'8" tall, but I feel cramped on the bike after a hundred miles. I never felt this way on my GS. I'd sometimes stand up while riding at street speeds (45 mph) to stretch my legs, knees and back.

For me, I felt that the handlebars/grips are at a weird angle and caused my wrists to hurt after many hours of riding. I may swap out the bars if I locate a suitable replacement that are more comfy.

The brakes on the bike suck in my opinion. The rear is non-existent, and the fronts are grabby in the heat, and squeak when cold. I'm swapping out the stock pads for some aftermarket pads, such as those made by Galfer.

The suspension worked pretty well, but seemed to be different from day to day, although we set it on Touring, 2-up, with luggage for the whole trip. Some days, it was very harsh, and other days, it was perfect. I have had the sag and other settings set professionally by a suspension tuner.

The front wind screen (I have the taller tinted one from Ducati) is okay. Not great...it causes some turbulence so earplugs are definitely a requirement to keep from getting beat up by wind noise.

The stock tires are okay when fully loaded, but they seem to hunt a lot in rain grooves in the concrete roadway. I'm going to swap them out as soon as I burn up the rear in a couple of more thousand miles (bike now has over 3500 miles on it but the rear has at least another 3000 miles left on it).

We experienced some potential overheating issues on some parts of our ride, when the weather was about 100 F, and traffic backed up in a couple of cities. We split lanes to keep the air moving across the radiator, but still, sometimes, the temp gauge showed 245 F on the dash! Scared the hell out of me on a few occasions, but I never saw the amber dummy light come on on my dash. Whew! The bike heats up quickly if it's hot outside and it's not moving.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the bike on a long road trip. I just did another 350 miles this past Sunday and it rode pretty well, but it was just me, and no luggage. It's still not as stable as I would like it to be. Maybe I'll just get a BMW RT for two-up touring and keep the MTS for single touring.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
692 Posts
. Maybe I'll just get a BMW RT for two-up touring and keep the MTS for single touring.
If my MTS ever gets here it'll primarily be a solo bike as well. But, I have an 08 GSA and had an 06 GT and they were both pretty "wild" behind trucks. The GT being horrible in side winds. So...the MTS won't be worse than those two.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
She doesn't have any problem in sliding on her seat due to hard braking due to our custom Bill Mayer saddles (which are awesome, by the way, and keep getting better every time we ride).

Would you be able to post some photos of the saddle? I looked at the site and they show a white MTS but it's hard to make out what the saddles are shaped like. It looked to me that the Pillion would be nice but the driver saddle looks like it would be too low for me...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response - A bit disappointing on the two up news. I felt the trellis frame on MTS 1100s was a bit rubbery as well and that was in solo touring mode. We are going spend an afternoon on our local demo bike and see how it feels.
Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have to say I have a totally different opinion. My wife and I went 4 days on our 25th wedding anniversary and did a couple 400+ mile days with a few stops for gas and she loved it. She thought it was very comfortable and I absolutely enjoyed the bike and it handled as well as can be expected with 2 up and luggage for 4 days. I also took my daughter on a 2 day trip and we rode 1 day in the rain and cold.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I got this bike for 2 up riding as well as solo. I have about 6K miles and loving it. As with all bikes you have to make trade offs on what you want. I am coming from a sportbike background and track experience (GSX-R's, Triumph 675, FZ1) and the multi is a great compromise for what I am looking for and yet comfort and features of a touring bike. I test rode a BMW, and although it is a great bike, the Multi just did it for me and does everything I want for two up. My wife now rides quite a bit with me. I will also throw in the fact that she is very athletic and very outdoors oriented. She is definitely not the girly girl type.

I guess what I am saying is that my experience has been great 2-up, but I can see where others may have a different opinion. Just wanted to throw in my two cents on my experience. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MotoCow, Thanks for the alternate view. Even with the "do it all" bikes like the GS and MTS, there are trade offs.
Thanks to everyone for their views and the other strings I have read on the MTS side of this site.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I have to say I have a totally different opinion. My wife and I went 4 days on our 25th wedding anniversary and did a couple 400+ mile days with a few stops for gas and she loved it. She thought it was very comfortable and I absolutely enjoyed the bike and it handled as well as can be expected with 2 up and luggage for 4 days. I also took my daughter on a 2 day trip and we rode 1 day in the rain and cold.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I got this bike for 2 up riding as well as solo. I have about 6K miles and loving it. As with all bikes you have to make trade offs on what you want. I am coming from a sportbike background and track experience (GSX-R's, Triumph 675, FZ1) and the multi is a great compromise for what I am looking for and yet comfort and features of a touring bike. I test rode a BMW, and although it is a great bike, the Multi just did it for me and does everything I want for two up. My wife now rides quite a bit with me. I will also throw in the fact that she is very athletic and very outdoors oriented. She is definitely not the girly girl type.

I guess what I am saying is that my experience has been great 2-up, but I can see where others may have a different opinion. Just wanted to throw in my two cents on my experience. Hope this helps!
I can see your point when moving from a sport bike but our problem is we've moved from a Goldwing. We've spent 12 hour days on the wing up to 800 miles with no problem and I suppose she is more used to that couch position compared with the Multi. My hope is, now that she has her license, she'll be able to ride her own bike on longer trips but it may be a few years before she's real comfortable driving it... And she may just enjoy being a passenger, time will tell I suppose. There is no doubt I could go all day on the MTS (once I get my butt bone figured out, too much pressure on it right now on m bony butt) but I think with her on the back we'd need to stop every 100 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Maybe a smooth road a Goldwing is better for a passenger. Can't imagine it being so on bumpier roads.

I've got some great footage of the Ohlins soaking up all the bumps on very twisty turns. Soon to be you-tubed.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Maybe a smooth road a Goldwing is better for a passenger. Can't imagine it being so on bumpier roads.

I've got some great footage of the Ohlins soaking up all the bumps on very twisty turns. Soon to be you-tubed.
I had upgraded the suspension to Traxxion and it was a lot better than stock but you are correct not near as plush as the MTS can be...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can see your point when moving from a sport bike but our problem is we've moved from a Goldwing. We've spent 12 hour days on the wing up to 800 miles with no problem and I suppose she is more used to that couch position compared with the Multi. My hope is, now that she has her license, she'll be able to ride her own bike on longer trips but it may be a few years before she's real comfortable driving it... And she may just enjoy being a passenger, time will tell I suppose. There is no doubt I could go all day on the MTS (once I get my butt bone figured out, too much pressure on it right now on m bony butt) but I think with her on the back we'd need to stop every 100 miles or so.
Totally understandable. Each of us has our own experiences and trying to make a one bike fits all is going to be impossible. It is even harder today since there are more bikes to choose from. I try and tell people just pick one and be content. "Contentment is the key to life....until something faster, better, smarter comes along" :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would you be able to post some photos of the saddle? I looked at the site and they show a white MTS but it's hard to make out what the saddles are shaped like. It looked to me that the Pillion would be nice but the driver saddle looks like it would be too low for me...
Hi, Brew,

The white MTS on the Mayer website is mine, but the photo kinda doesn't do justice. If you PM me, I'll send you some hi-res pics (I don't know how to post photos on this site yet...no time to learn and I don't have the patience to figure it out).

By the way, Mayer Saddles will build up your saddle so you can clean windows on the Empire State Building if you want, but I have a short inseam (29") so I need all the height reduction I can get, so the kind Mayer folks trimmed the seat down for me so I can get both feet down (tippy toes, but it works). The saddles (both front and rear) are the best I've ever owned. I've had other brands, including Corbin, Sargent, the Ducati touring, Ducati low seat, and this is the best saddle I've ever spent money on for any of the 20+ bikes I've owned in my riding life. It keeps getting more and more comfy as the miles pile on.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the test

Well, we got to take a 100 mile jaunt this afternoon. Split mileage between the freeway, 2 lane fast sweepers and tight technical work. Of course, not the definitive experience for understanding the bike, but it gave us a pretty clear window.
Amazing bike. It felt more planted than my 999, more agile than my Brutale and amazingly, as stable as my GS even two up and in the trash blowback of 18 wheelers on the freeway. The bike was brand new and so were the tires so I was gentle with both the motor and rubber, but was able to see how amazing the motor was and experienced no surging in touring, enduro or urban mode and only a little in sport mode. My wife found the room and ride to be very comfortable, but at 5' 3" and 98 lbs, she is easy to please in that area. I found myself a bit cramped for long distance (6' 3") and would probably ask Mayer to build me a taller seat if possible. My left foot kept hitting the center stand and the windscreen needs to be replaced for my height. End of the day, we agreed that it will be a great weekend or even week long tourer for two up, but not past that.
Thanks again for the info and if (more like when) I buy one, look forward to gleaning more info and perhaps providing some as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, we got to take a 100 mile jaunt this afternoon. Split mileage between the freeway, 2 lane fast sweepers and tight technical work. Of course, not the definitive experience for understanding the bike, but it gave us a pretty clear window.
Amazing bike. It felt more planted than my 999, more agile than my Brutale and amazingly, as stable as my GS even two up and in the trash blowback of 18 wheelers on the freeway. The bike was brand new and so were the tires so I was gentle with both the motor and rubber, but was able to see how amazing the motor was and experienced no surging in touring, enduro or urban mode and only a little in sport mode. My wife found the room and ride to be very comfortable, but at 5' 3" and 98 lbs, she is easy to please in that area. I found myself a bit cramped for long distance (6' 3") and would probably ask Mayer to build me a taller seat if possible. My left foot kept hitting the center stand and the windscreen needs to be replaced for my height. End of the day, we agreed that it will be a great weekend or even week long tourer for two up, but not past that.
Thanks again for the info and if (more like when) I buy one, look forward to gleaning more info and perhaps providing some as well.
One last piece. If you do decide to get one, I would highly recommend the topcase for your pillion. That made all the difference for my wife. She felt much more comfortable, especially with the acceleration that bike has to offer. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who's done long mileage two up touring on their 1200?
How did it go for rider? passenger?
Did you have the larger panniers?
Any info would be appreciated.
Have ridden cross country solo on my old MTS 1100S and with the wife on my GS - looking for reference points.
Thanks
Hi, My wife and I did a 6 day, 1,400 mile ride on 2019 Enduro around NV, UT, AZ last summer and she liked it a lot . She likes the ride better than my HD Road King but finds it harder to get on and off, especially with the AL panniers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts