Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and thanks in advance for your help...

So, i bought my second ducati, hyper 1100s. Took a gamble and had it shipped across the country on the sellers word and video that the bike was running. Long story short, it got here, and it don't work.

Original issue bike would crank, but no spark. Ran the engine codes, it was throwing 8 codes. Trolled the forums here found something on the crank position sensor, i decided to start there and checked the gap =.9mm (out of spec according to the service manual)

I cleared the codes after and boom she fired right up. Im assuming that gapping it cleared the gunk off and it worked again. So i got all excited and wanted to take it around the block so i hop on pull clutch drop it in to first and she dies, like i had the sidestand out. i checked the sensor and according to the diagnostic tool the sidestand sensor is functioning.

I go out again this morning after trolling some more the past couple of days for answers, and it did let me put it in gear and i manipulated the clutch a little which seemed smooth and appeared to engage and fully disengage. so out i go to go around the block and all of the sudden the engine starts revving like the throttle is stuck, i give a quick twist to see if that calms it down, which it didnt so i kill it.

Roll it back in to check the TPS on the diagnostic tool and it os reading 3.1 at idle (i dont think that is right from some of the threads i have read on here)

Im attaching some screenshots from my phone from the diagnostics tool with the engine codes and the infor from the bike while it is running.

Like i said in the title of my post, im looking to get some ideas on where to start and any advice that you may be able to share.

Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Kind of a sad story. Welcome to the board. Wondering if you tried to contact the seller and if that went anywhere? Very unlikely that the bike was running and working well when shipped. This is a small community, I don't know where you found the bike but maybe let us know who and where for a little retribution?

Sorry, I can't help on the problems, you seem to be going in the right direction. Last resort do you have a reputable Ducati dealer near you or good independent? Might be worth a try.

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have contacted the seller, and he did post a video of the bike running with no check engine lights on, on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW0x4Go8qVw

I also find it hard to believe that there were no serious issues that he was able to notice before the sale.

I have some contacts in the area that are reputable mechanics (as far as the ducati dealership here, i have heard mixed reviews on their quality of work). I enjoy working on them so my hope is that i am able to track down the problem and get a fix on my own. I also realize that they may not be possible in this situation though.

thanks for your response

·
Registered
391 Posts
What is going on at the end of the video when he pulls the key? Is that the bike running on after shutdown? It hopefully is some construction happening in the background. Without understanding what is happening that video would have raised some concerns for me. I am looking for a Hyper myself and the price on the ad is quite low. How many miles? Do you have the service records? Sorry no help on the fix, and good luck on your diagnostics. Nice looking ride, I hope you can get it sorted out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is heavy equipment running. i thought the same thing at first definitely wouldnt have bought it if that was the case.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome to the board. I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I've had an '08 Hyper since '07. They can be cranky sometimes. With multiple codes like that my best guess would be either a bad battery or bad terminal. The vibes on the Hyper seem to shake the terminals apart.

The other thing to check first is the main ground lug. It doesn't take much grunge or looseness to make the electrics go nuts.

Can you swap the battery with a known good one? The cross-country trip might have been rough enough to finish off the battery or shake the ground loose.

The seller might be innocent. It really doesn't take much confuse the ecu.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks doc,
I got out playing with it done more today and I think you are spot on. The bike let me put it in gear today and ride a little. For some reason the bike appears to like it better if I have the diagnostic tool hooked up. I also noticed that the rear tailight is flickering while the bike is running, it is fine with the bike off. I'm going to start with the battery and the ground and see what happens.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
One of the battery terminal on my hyper broke right off.

t_bare

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well doc, its not looking good. I checked the main ground (at least i think i did, the one on the front side of the engine) i couldn't pull it off though because the head of the bolt stripped. i did install my battery from my 1098 and that did not correct the situation. I pulled the taillights off (aftermarket set thought that might be messing things up) but that didnt help either.

The search continues. I am going to try to install turn signals (the bike did not have any) to see if that helps anything.

I just don't know whats going on with this thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts