Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it's time to stop talking about "wanting" to do this and actually do it!

Trip would span from here in Vegas, passing through some of Utah, Denver, Kansas City, & St. Louis before arriving to Chicago & then back.

I do realize that some planning and preparation will need to be done beforehand.

If you've taken trips like this, live in or around any of the cities mentioned, or have any feedback or tips on:

-gear to take
-places to see/eat/stop by
-best time of the year to take the trip?(was shooting for june)
-any cool gadgets/mods/accessory to make the trip even better
-etc

honestly, any input, tips, or advice would be really appreciated. Open to all suggestions.

thanks!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Search for " Coast to Coast and back on a Panigale"

You'll get a lot of impressions... AntiHero might be able to answer some of your questions ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've made 3000 miles plus trips the past few years. One suggestion. Wing it.;) makes for much more fun.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
8,078 Posts
Be flexible in your schedule and places to see along the way. That's how I like to travel. Roadside attractions get my attention, I like to check out the unusual and different things. If you've not ridden long distances prior to setting off on your trip you might want to get some practice rides in to see how much you can stand being on the bike at a time. Maintain your bike, have a back up plan in case something goes bad.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
having done 650 miles in one day with 3-5 full downpours and a cold mountain pass I would say Gear is the most important:

The best and most adaptable Gear possible, that you can afford, that fits, is broken in, and COMFY.

Waterproof boots.
Two-Piece zip together, COMFY Leathers/Cordura
RAIN GEAR!! (I got soaked to the bone)

apart from that:

Tire Patch Kit.
CLIF Bars
A Good watch.
MAPS. (GPS is cool, but I never really used it. IPhone works ok if I need it.)

Locations and Phone numbers of mechanics/Dealerships along your route in case.

Waterproof Tailbags/Tank bag.
Wad of cash.

Whatever you do, make sure you test your stuff out:
Pack your saddlebags/backpack/tankbag, outfit your bike full of gas and the GPS and whatever else, and put on your full gear and go do a couple 100 mile runs before...Iron out the kinks in your gear/bike...

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've done at least one 3000 mile trip a year every year for the past 30 years.

I've learned to pack very light and compact. Take as little as possible. The new synthetic athletic wicking clothing is the best for a range of weather. An electric vest helps tremendously in terms of comfort and reducing the amount of clothing you need to take. Having waterproof breathable riding gear (jacket, pants, gloves and boots) helps tremendously. It allows you to ride without having to stop for weather and minimizes the need to pay attention to what you are going to wear on any day. I can pack enough clothing in a medium size tank bag for a week of riding without ever having to do laundry or wear shirts or underwear twice. Rolling your clothing is the most compact way to pack. Packing light, makes riding much easier and it makes staying in a different town every night much easier too, since there is less to pack and unpack at every stop. One trick some riders use is to pack underwear which is on its last legs, so after they wear it they just throw it away. I don't go this far, but it is a proven method for making room for collecting souvenirs over the course of a trip.

Make sure you have a reasonable tool kit. Look at the fasteners on your bike and make sure you have what you need to pull the tank and body panels off and have a tire plugging kit and a CO2 inflation setup or mini compressor.

Consider signing up as an AMA member with autorenewal for the roadside assistance plan they offer.

Make sure your tires are capable of going the entire distance, or make sure you know where you are going to need tires and that you will be able to get a suitable tire there. Depending on what types of roads you usually ride and how much you pack on your bike the mileage you get out of your tires may be significantly different than what you usually get.

June is a good time to do the ride you are planning. May is too early and at altitude snow can be a problem. July of course can be very very hot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Let me know when you do the KC MO to Stl Portion, I live between the two, and am more than happy to show you some fun roads, and a great place for lunch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be taking my 2012 M696.

I've already taken some 600+ miles day trips but never a cross-country multi day riding trip like this so I'll definitely try to take some more long trips before this one to get even more use to it.

Love the idea of taking a couple trips with the bags & gear on to test it all out.

Thank u all for all the great input so far...keep it coming! =)

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
One trick some riders use is to pack underwear which is on its last legs, so after they wear it they just throw it away. I don't go this far, but it is a proven method for making room for collecting souvenirs over the course of a trip.

Booya. I've done this before and it works well.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Why Denver, KC, STL and ORD? Middle section across (KS or NE) blows ass. Southern route through OK, Ozarks into STL would be better or northern route through UT, ID, WY, MT SD is much better, IMO.

Rain suit, 3 changes of clothes, TP, dry bag, tire plug kit and cash.

I lived in central IL for most of my life and 7 years in Chicago so I can help with some of that section.

June is good in c. Il as the planting is done and the corn is not high. So, traveling on the b roads is infinitely better than I-55. Look up The Great River Route as an option Travel Along the River in Illinois - Trip Planning Information for the Great River Road and Mississippi River in Illinois

Springfield and Lincoln's tomb should not be missed on your way up and won't take a whole lot of time. You can visit his home downtown. HWY 51 up the center of the state will provide a x-section of the state and fill your senses.

Look for river roads if you want Midwestern twisties. Mississippi River to Hannibal or even Burlington jump over to Peoria and follow the Illinois River to Ottawa or Marseilles will be your best route. Slab it into Chicago after that.

Chicago is a page to itself but splurge and stay downtown at the Sheraton. Museums, North Ave. Beach, Blues Clubs, Billy Goat Tavern, Wrigley Field would all be on my short list of places to go and see. Ride Lake Shore drive later at night or early Sunday morning. Top of the drive south to Science of Industry/Jackson Park (57th st) area is all you need to do.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If it were me I'd make sure I took a route that got me off the interstate as much as I could. I'm assuming you would head out on I-70 toward Denver. Just before Vail I'd head south on Rt. 24 toward Colorado Springs. Along the way stop in Leadville to see the Silver Dollar Saloon. This is where Doc Holiday played poker and hung out with his gf "Big Nose Kate." As you get closer to Divide and Manitou Springs you will go through Wilkerson Pass and that's pretty impressive. I'm sure there are lots of other great places off the slab but this is one I've always enjoyed.

BTW what are you riding? It would make a difference for me in terms of how much "stuff" I'd take. Since I do all my touring on Supersports I'm usually a bit of a minimalist.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I've done many 6000-7000 mile two week trips. About 500K miles worth. From Wisc to all states and Provs west of here, one to Fairbanks and one to Mexico city. Weather is the most crucial thing to pack for.

Here's a few suggestions and you'll find you'll improvise as you go. Or in advance if your bike is big enough, you'll pack enough stuff to overload a car to consider every situation.

Always cover up. Long sleeves even in 110 degree weather. The classic cotton long underwear top or sweatshirt is the best for hot days. You can soak it in water as you ride and the evaporation is quite nice.
Neato biker boots are cool and functional but don't breathe and will overheat your feet.
Drink a ton of water as you'll dehydrate 5 times faster on a bike even when it's cold. When you fill the tank, fill your tank is the rule.
Rain suit which you'll put on when it's cold to block the wind.
Stick a piece of thin cardboard under the visor when it's up to block sun.
Oversize rubber boots that go past the calf.
Don't do the 110+ degree desert sections during the day.
I found sitting on a bath towel is the best thing to soak sweat out of your butt. Just fold it up and bungee it on the seat.
+1 for putting your electronic gizmos in a ziploc bag. A couple days in rain will soak everything.

Bike:
Tire repair kit.
Some sort of throttle lock.
Run the tire pressures higher to reduce heat buildup and wear.
Don't forget to lube the chain like a maniac.
Run the chain looser so it won't sling as much lube off.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have ridden from Vancouver BC to Port Charlotte FL and return on two occasions. I wing it as far as daily destinations but I try and ride between 600 and 700 miles per day. I check national weather each morning and basically ride to avoid rain or storms. Depending on schedule, I will avoid the interstates where I can. I take light weight quick dry clothing, and a rain suit. I wear a balistic multi pocket jacket and my trusty Vanson leather pants. I stay in reasonably priced motels. I always try and finish the day before dusk for a couple of reasons. I wear a tinted face shield which is not so good in the dark, bugs come out at dusk and motels book up quickly after 6 pm.

start out with new tires

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rain gear, waterproof gloves or covers, cell phone, credit cards, chain lube, tire gauge. Pack old T-shirts, underwear, etc. so you can throw it out along the way to make room for stuff you buy. Heated grips are a life saver in cold weather (maybe not likely in June).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts