Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming June, I will be going from Vancouver, WA to Santa Cruz, CA. This is approximately 700 miles one way. I will be going down I-5 for the first part of the ride due to needing to get there quickly as possible since I will probably be riding the first weekend I get there and then taking a winding road on the way back. I will be splitting my ride down and backup into two days stopping over around or near Shasta CA.

This will be my first long distance ride of this magnitude. I'm posting this here as I have an SS and am wanting to find out from you guys/gals that have made long distance trips; what things I should be worried/concerned/prepared for on this trip. My SS is current on all its maintenances right now and I will change the oil before I go since I will also be riding down there w/a friend of mine who has a Triumph 675. I have approximately 3.8k miles on the factory tires and may have to buy tires once I get down there.

I will have a tank bag & a backpack w/clothes in it with probably three days of clothes in it. In my tank bag I'll probably keep water & some snacks for when I pull over. I plan to pull over about every 100 miles.

I average anywhere from 40-100 miles a day in normal riding around town here in Vancouver. I have pulled a 300 mile trip but that was split between 150 miles up and then several hours later 150 miles back and it was in the rain. I'm hoping I don't have to ride in the rain but we'll see.

Any information and suggestions and critiques are welcomed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I5+Oregon+June=Rain, be prepared for it. I think boredom might actually be your biggest obstacle between Seattle and Eugene, south of there it's actually quite nice. Otherwise you seem pretty well prepared. Just stop often enough to stay sharp. Btw, the traffic on the two lane section of I5 between Salem and Eugene sucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would either buy or borrow a tail pack from someone. Wearing a backpack for that long will get old.
If it were me I'd take the coast. Colder or not, its WAY better than I5. It has always been worth the extra time for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
supersparky750 said:
I5+Oregon+June=Rain, be prepared for it. I think boredom might actually be your biggest obstacle between Seattle and Eugene
Really? As a Texas resident, I often envy you lucky sods in the Pacific Northwest and your gorgeous scenery and roads. Nice to know there IS a boring journey up there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a '94 SS and it is a great long distance bike. I did a trip from Brisbane to Canberra earlier this year about 1250km so around 800miles each way. I went down over three days and that was good, although I did return in a day (yep 1250km in a day true story) just stopping for fuel and lunch. Hadn't been planned that way but ended up needing to get back quickly due to a work commitment and just rode all day, just me, the Duc and my Ipod(I did have industrial deafness that night though and just heard a constant ringing and couldn't hear anything else). My butt was sore but after a few hours that pain was there and didn't get any worse till the end. I suppose I wouldn't recommend riding that distance in a day its probably a little crazy really and I won't be doing it again. the next day I was surprisingly fresh and wasn't sore at all. I didn't even look at the bike for a few weeks after that though I had enough of riding on the trip.

I had my tent and a change of clothes strapped to the backseat and a back pack that I kept pretty light with a few other necessities. Wouldn't want much weight on your back for long trips.

Not sure if the later SS's wuld be quiet as good for such a long distance as they are a little more aggressive in the riding position ....

Cheers
Errol

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I've done CT to CO & WY a couple times on a '97 SS/SP. Tank bag, Ortlieb drybags and a drybag bungeed to the pillion were all I ever needed. I was camping and going a couple thousand miles, so it may not be something you need. But, if it were me, I'd bungee a drybag on back, fill the tank bag and be done with it. Riding will be the fun part. No worries.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Primul said:
This coming June, I will be going from Vancouver, WA to Santa Cruz, CA. This is approximately 700 miles one way. I will be going down I-5 for the first part of the ride due to needing to get there quickly as possible since I will probably be riding the first weekend I get there and then taking a winding road on the way back. I will be splitting my ride down and backup into two days stopping over around or near Shasta CA.

This will be my first long distance ride of this magnitude. I'm posting this here as I have an SS and am wanting to find out from you guys/gals that have made long distance trips; what things I should be worried/concerned/prepared for on this trip. My SS is current on all its maintenances right now and I will change the oil before I go since I will also be riding down there w/a friend of mine who has a Triumph 675. I have approximately 3.8k miles on the factory tires and may have to buy tires once I get down there.

I will have a tank bag & a backpack w/clothes in it with probably three days of clothes in it. In my tank bag I'll probably keep water & some snacks for when I pull over. I plan to pull over about every 100 miles.

I average anywhere from 40-100 miles a day in normal riding around town here in Vancouver. I have pulled a 300 mile trip but that was split between 150 miles up and then several hours later 150 miles back and it was in the rain. I'm hoping I don't have to ride in the rain but we'll see.

Any information and suggestions and critiques are welcomed.
After putting 300 miles on my 800ss, I think this would be a very capable long distance motorcycle indeed. What I'd want to do for it...

<1> Install a pair of helibars

<2> Install a MRA or Zero gravity double bubble or sport touring windshield

<3> Instead of a backpack, get a set of these soft saddle bags and add them to your tankbag to increase the amount that your bike can carry...http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/Tour_master_bags/

<4> Finally, a GPS is a fantastic touring tool. However, after looking at the Ducati accessory catalog, it looks like the Ducati GPS mount only fits the multistrada (maybe the ST series), and the Garmin setup that I have with the touratech mount is too bulky to fit on the bars of the 800ss without obscuring the instruments...so thus far, I haven't found a way to do that.

Finally, just remember that you want to be in a gas station filling up the tank when your trip odometer hits 120 miles.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well and truely covered under searches..

That disclaimer satisfied.. The bike will be great as it is.. FILL the tank bag as big as it goes with your clothes and what you want to keep dry or protected.. Small Back pack (25 LITRES) is ok so long as you don't wear it, put it on the seat behind you, shoulder straps down over the indicators. If it's a decent pack it should have waist and chest straps, clip these under the seat night and tight, the pack won't move unless you miss clip them (then the bag will flip over the back, your laptop will skip up between the hugger and the tyre, the tyre will burn a hole in your LCD screen, the power cable will wrap around your axle and your bike will fall over as you are unwinding the power cord only to break the windsceeen, smash the speedo, bend the w'screen frame and break off the clutch lever). Otherwise it will be all sweet.

Get a sheepskin seat cover. don't worry about the water and snacks, you'll be stopping every 2.5 - 3 hours anyway. Get your hands on a palm rest type of cruise control - throttle actuator, great investment for about 10 bucks.

Oxford make a great tail bag if you want one.. Ventura do racking systems even better. Get a neck warmer kind of beanie thing and put it on before your jacket, you'll be amazed how much noise it cuts out and will help keep your Ipod plugs in your helmet. You don't need the plugs in your ears, they will fit nicely into that groove in your helmet, then crank the noise up a little louder, she'll be sweet.

SIT UP OFTEN!!! You can ride one handed with just your finger tips on the throttle, just enough to keep the pace.. I can sit up as straight as on a ST.. makes a big difference... Spend some time resting on the tank bag.. lie down across the bag / tank and hang your feet over the pillion pegs... Stand up from time to time, you can pretty much straighten you legs this way, but I've found the more you stretch the more you feel the need to stretch... This is all flat top stuff be warned..

I have 1 trip of over 5000 km return, 2 over 2 500km and a few 1-1 500 km trips...

All WITHOUT bar risers... remember.. your thighs and stomach should be taking the weight, NOT your arms and hands.. your elbows SHOULD be loosey goosey.. Spend that money on a decent piece of sheepskin to sit on.

enjoy the trip, it sounds like you'll have a great time. Oh that neck warmer, get a POLARTEC one.. form the outdoor gear shops like MEC.. they will stop any rain getting down your back and shake dry when you get off.

01 900ss

Post pics and write a report when you get back..

Mal

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
trip

All good advice so far except I would just get the tires you want before you leave. The extra few hundred miles you may get on your old tires probably not worth the time and hassle while you are on your trip. You are not at some dealers mercy for selection and price either.

Order from southwest mototires at the link below and if you buy two or more shipping is free. great place to do business.

Enjoy your ride. That area is one of my favorites, and a destination for me next September.

http://www.swmototires.com/

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Buy the tires before you leave.

Stuff your rain gear in the bodywork "pouches" below the seat; an out-of-the-way location that works.

·
Registered
322 Posts
luv those underseat pouches. i 've ridden my 99 900ss all day day in relative comfort.ferraci risers, stock seat. my only complaint is the stock suspension beats the hell out of me on any kind of bumpy road

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You can help the ride by 1), adding a RaceTech or Ohlins fork kit and 2), changing to a Penske or Ohlins rear shock.

Make sure to set the proper preload and damping settings on front and rear. Sounds like you have too much compression damping.

·
Registered
322 Posts
suspension is my next upgrade. i have the compression backed almost all the way out and that helped but its still a rock,tho an excellent handling rock.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
roadron said:
suspension is my next upgrade. i have the compression backed almost all the way out and that helped but its still a rock,tho an excellent handling rock.
NO!!!!!.........You must be sitting on the bike wrong if it is the least bit uncomfortable (I know this because I was told it from the very highest authority).

·
Registered
989 Posts
Must be a RED bike thing.. not only are the yellow ones faster, they are more comfortable over long distances... Blue ones are the most comfy... but they need to be because you are on them longer....

Mal

1 - 20 of 34 Posts