Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have lojack, is it worth it? i was thinking I might get it... not sure though

·
Administrator
13,024 Posts
If your insurance won't cover the whole bike or you live where it's not in a protected garage I think it would be worth considering. It's always fun when you can actually catch the bastards that steal your goods.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I could never talk myself to get one of those types of anti-theft or theft recovery devices. When I get insurance I get enough coverage to where if the bike gets stolen I am covered.
The way I see it, I may not want the bike back after it got stolen... know what I mean

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hear ya... i'm gonna look into it more, but state farm only caovers blue book, and not too much after market.... i do have a garage and live in a good area... i just don't think i want to leave it parked at the beach or something

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
FWIW....when I did car sales a long time ago (before I realized that I had a moral or 2) I got a briefing as it were from a LowJack rep on thier product for aftersales opportunity money...and from they had to say...I was impressed until 2 week later I read a report from another market area where a car had been stolen and the LoJack unit was found 8 blocks from the theft spot in a trashcan on a street corner...that said something to be in terms of the whole process being so wonderful or not...will more of these happen? I asked myself...and more importantly will my customers bring this up to me?....it was then I opted not to worry about selling the product and make sure customers had the appropriate insurance coverage.....now many years later there is an insurgency by LoJack to get thier product back to market and many dealerships are denying the option of installing thier product due to the way it has to tap into the electrical system and the possible side effects of how it effects the resistance and other properties of the networked systems in cars nowadays to the point that manufacturers will void a warranty if they find something failed and it was installed and it can in any way be attributed to the LoJack install....now flash back to your bike....no...it doesn't have the immobilizer system that Newer Duc's have...and no...your aftermaket upgrades will probably not get covered if it gets stolen unless you pay for an additional rider to the insurance to cover those added options....yes...you can install a LoJack unit....but there is virtually no where near as many places to be able to hide a LoJack unit where it couldn't be found on a bike and moreso on a Duc with the minamalistic way of some of the design aspect....now....do you really want to go through all that trouble?....seems to me the money you spend for a LoJack unit could be better spent paying for a rider to your insurance for the extra items not covered that your bike is equipped with....just my 0.02!

·
Registered
135 Posts
i'm with shadowrone.. if my bike or car gets stolen, i don't ever want to see it again.. (unless my kid or something valuable was in it). i'll do what it takes to prevent it from being taken, but once gone, its tainted.. i'll get a new one instead of repairing any damages done.
my 2 cents..

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true... well what do u have to pay for lojack? like monthly fee or?

if u put it under the seat fairing u'd be set... but it also depends if they track it asap or what... so its prob not worth it i guess..... i wonder what chopper guys do... they must always be worried bout their 50,000$ toys!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had my last bike stolen, and lowjack is currently being installed on my bike. if your bike gets stolen... they make you wait 30 days for it to show up before declaring it stolen... thats half my summer riding season. plus, these thieves just get away with it. I want to do my part that will help them to get caught. i want them caught red handed if they take my bike, and in jail. 600$ for that... priceless. I'm just going to require that its not put under the seat, and i think there is plenty of room on the bike for a small non-descript black box.
so, i'll have my alarm with a pager... so i can run back to my bike if i'm around and hopefully catch the thieves before they take it, and if not i'll be at the police station making them leave as fast as possible and get my bike back.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome, i'm gonna look into it even more, just to catch someone doing that would be awesome! hahahahahhaah!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I checked into this. It's $695.00 for the install, no monthly fees, and they won't tell you or let you see them put it on. The company said that each vehicle model has a different location and motorcycle transmitters are supposed to be really small. I didn't go any further with it because it's only around Miami, unfortunately not in Orlando.

sidenote: I'm on the fence about this, I don't want a tainted bike back, But I do want the POS to get caught.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, but if its stolen and u do get it back, the won't the insurance pay for any damages?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
So, you don't want the thieves to get away but you don't want the bike back after it gets stollen. The solution is to mimic one of James Bond's car alarms. Rig the bike with explosives! The thieves are made into mincemeat and you won't have to ride the bike again. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Turbo said:
So, you don't want the thieves to get away but you don't want the bike back after it gets stollen. The solution is to mimic one of James Bond's car alarms. Rig the bike with explosives! The thieves are made into mincemeat and you won't have to ride the bike again. :D
Explosives is always the answer. ;)

As far as insurance goes, yeah, they'll fix it and or replace it at blue book ( unless you itemize, or estimate it's value and pay accordingly). Then they could drop you. Also it doesn't take much to total a Ducati, dollarwise I mean. Shop costs and OEM replacement parts and the like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the explosives I can see it now :eek:

- 1 New ducati 999 = $17000

- 1 new set of leathers = $1000

- A bunch of explosives to put on your bike becasue you didnt want to buy lojack for those SOB's that steal you bike = $400

- Riding your bike on the track on day and getting the engine VERY hot

- PRICELESS

·
Registered
11 Posts
SpiderSense said:
i'm with shadowrone.. if my bike or car gets stolen, i don't ever want to see it again.. (unless my kid or something valuable was in it). i'll do what it takes to prevent it from being taken, but once gone, its tainted.. i'll get a new one instead of repairing any damages done.
my 2 cents..
DITTO + 100

·
Registered
80 Posts
what if the police were able to recover the bike before the thieves had started stripping it?
what if they just grabbed the bodywork and thats as far as they got?
insurance will give you blue book for your used bike, and then you can replace it with someone elses problems (ie: another used bike) or take a 4 to 5 thousand dollar hit on your wallet, plus all the time lost in your riding season to replace your bike with a new one.
i would much rather retain the bike that i have either preformed all the maintance on, or had preformed properly, i know all its history, i have the parts that i want on it already.
I don't know about you, but i'm taking excellent care of my bike... i'm sending the oil pump out to get the internal clearances checked, replacing wiring with thicker gauge, cleaning every electrical contact, setting the suspension up properly, insuring the exact valve clearances i want on the engine, having the cams timed, spending hours on the dyno tuning the bike...
i don't relish the idea of starting over again. and if i have to pay 700$ to have a chance that my bike comes back in one piece... seems like a solid investment to me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Fox said:
what if the police were able to recover the bike before the thieves had started stripping it?
insurance will give you blue book for your used bike, and then you can replace it with someone elses problems (ie: another used bike) or take a 4 to 5 thousand dollar hit on your wallet, plus all the time lost in your riding season to replace your bike with a new one.
i would much rather retain the bike that i have either preformed all the maintance on, or had preformed properly, i know all its history, i have the parts that i want on it already.
I don't know about you, but i'm taking excellent care of my bike... i'm sending the oil pump out to get the internal clearances checked, replacing wiring with thicker gauge, cleaning every electrical contact, setting the suspension up properly, insuring the exact valve clearances i want on the engine, having the cams timed, spending hours on the dyno tuning the bike...
i don't relish the idea of starting over again. and if i have to pay 700$ to have a chance that my bike comes back in one piece... seems like a solid investment to me.

Think of it like this: A new bike is like getting a brand new canvas to build your next masterpiece.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fox.. thats a big reason i don't want the bike back... after you spend all the time and care on every little detail.. some dude takes it.. and it isnt about stripping it. its about ragging on it.. i'll never do wheelies or burnouts, but the thief probably would. maybe he wanted to see if he can go beyond the rev limiter.. especially if the bike went down, i don't want insurance money to fix it.

my buddy's accord got stolen and recovered immediately. rear wheel must have slammed into curb and he never was able to get the suspension/frame right anymore. car was in the shop consistently.

of course there's always sentimental reasons.. but unless something has been done to it that cant be replace.. i'd personally would rather get a new bike. just for peace of mind and not to worry/wonder what he could have done to the bike.

but i'm all for catching the thief.. i am in the process of installing a cellular IP camera on the tripple clamp where it can send me snap shots every second or so to my webserver where i can monitor from anywhere, along with GPS data of course. then i can dial the phone and press "3825 968" (you know what that spells.. F...Y..) to detonate the C4, or maybe just kill the engine. i'm not sure on the last part yet.

:)

Fox said:

·
Registered
80 Posts
well, unless they bring a new ECU with them, and feel like searching out all the wiring from my alarm that kills the bike, i'm pretty sure no one is riding the bike away. this of course doesn't stop someone from trucking it.
and i may take excellent mechanical care of the bike... but i ride the wheels off it, so short of crashing it... i doubt anyone will hurt it.
but i definintly understand your point of view... i just don't have the money to start over every time someone wants what i've got. if i did, i'd probably have a different answer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts