Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I pulled my left fairing I put a dab of removeable Locktite on the screws. Now that I need to pull it again the rubber inserts are just spinning inside the frame. Anybody got any suggestions on how to get them out short of a drill or Dremel tool?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Heat breaks the loctite down, so if possible - without damaging the paint and rubber insert - you might try applying a solder iron to the screw only to localize the heat and help soften the loctite. Just don’t get it too hot if the screw head is tight against the paint/fairing or enough to melt the rubber - and use the tension method also mentioned.

If you used 242 it takes around 250C (pretty hot) but you might be able to weaken it enough well before that -- one would hope anyway.

Good luck.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soldering Iron Worked

Heat breaks the loctite down, so if possible - without damaging the paint and rubber insert - you might try applying a solder iron to the screw only to localize the heat and help soften the loctite. Just don’t get it too hot if the screw head is tight against the paint/fairing or enough to melt the rubber - and use the tension method also mentioned.

If you used 242 it takes around 250C (pretty hot) but you might be able to weaken it enough well before that -- one would hope anyway.

Good luck.
I finally was able to get to the bike and attempt to get the bolts out. Holding a soldering iron on the bolt head for 45 seconds- 1 min. helped along with grabbing the back end with a pair of pliers and a few othe things. The only things destroyed were a couple of the rubber grommets Thanks. Never again will I put Locktite on a fairing bolt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Locktite Problems

Be real careful when working with Locktite around ABS fairings! I put Locktite on windscreen fasteners to keep from coming loose, the Locktite dessolved
the plastic around each screw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's bad news and a bad idea from the get-go. You can sometimes gently roll back the Wellnut and clamp some vice-grips to the brass or steel insert-this typically results in their destruction. Either way, it should help it. Heating it would probably toast your fairing causing some warping. I would just destroy the Wellnuts and get new ones.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I have two fairing well nuts if you need them. If you can get a needle nose pair of vise-grips around the well nut, collapse it down tight, then attempt to remove the screw???? might this work??? LocTite eats plastic, rubber, etc.....
When I installed my new lower fairings (2004 parts w/ 2-wellnut fasteners) I thought it would be better than my 2003 set-up which is one dzus fastener.....boy was I wrong.....so I went back to a dzus fastener. I just placed a piece of red duct tape over the fastener and seam to keep the fastener up there and the fairing together should the fastener fail somehow.....200 mph tape..:D
Let me know if you need the wellnuts and screws!

JEFF

·
Registered
56 Posts
damn locktite!!

The last time I pulled my left fairing I put a dab of removeable Locktite on the screws. Now that I need to pull it again the rubber inserts are just spinning inside the frame. Anybody got any suggestions on how to get them out short of a drill or Dremel tool?
I have done the same thing. The rubber washers are changing shape and expanding out when i put a needle nose plies on them and try to back out the allen head.
Can I just cut or destroy the rubber inserts??I'm going to replace them with Dzus fastneres anyway

·
Registered
331 Posts
damn locktite!!

Well heres a little story about locktite. I was snowboarding up in colorado and my binding that hold my boots to the board keep coming lose so I took the screws out and put some locktite aka bad idea. They held the screws in all day no losing at all. Well about month later I hit a jump a 30ft table top jump and my binding broke in mid air. So I'm up about 30ft in mid air my board goes one way and I'm falling down to the ground with no board. Lucky only thing I did was a bad bruise tail bone which by the way is possible the worse thing that can happened. To find out that the locktite travel up the screw and made that hard plastic weak. So theirs a funny story about locktite

·
Registered
249 Posts
Indeed.

I grease ALL wellnuts!

NEVER use loctite on them, there is no need to do so!

Tom
+1

Grease is the way to go. It makes any under the hood maintenance way easier! It really does suck to spend 2 hours changing the oil. Ten minutes to swap oil and filter and the rest of the time fighting well nuts!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts