Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so close to springing for a new Garmin 276, it isn't funny!

I never hear anyone talking about using the Touratech lockable mounts. Doesn't it seem like a good idea?

Y get yourself a bar from the Gadget Guy, clamp on the TT mount, and no one can make off with your new toy. $$$, but might be cheap insurance in the long run.

Or do you just save yourself the $$$, and take your GPS with you on gas breaks, pee breaks etc?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Lance and Lola

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
The touratech mounts are great but pricey - you get what you pay for. For my 276c, I use a touratech MvG mount that was originally made for the Garmin 176. I didn't consider the lockable mount because it's too big for my application. It's been great for 1.5+ years. I just remove the 276c from the mount and carry it with me when I'm off the bike.

The MvG works well with the Gadgetguy mount.

Enjoy it whichever mount you get.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use the Touratech lockable for my SP III. For most times it's good (short breaks etc.) But for longer or overnight stuff out in a parking lot, I remove all electronic gadgets off the bike.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd be afraid of some idiot TRYING to rip off the lockable ones. Anytime I leave the bike out of my sight, I just clip the unit off the standard RAM mount, and stuff it in a pocket. Or just wind off the arm and put it in a locked saddlebag.

But I rarely leave the bike parked out of sight, unless it's at home.

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing!

I really appreciate the feedback and the pictures!

I'm liking the GG bracket with the basic TT mount. It looks like a skookum arrangement, and I think I prefer having the $$GPS toy mounted solidly.

Maybe I'm just old -fashioned!

Lance

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
just be aware that the vibes on bikes - mainly singles but v-twins too - have caused issues with shorting out battery power on the older GPS units. this is not so much an issue on the 276c, which uses a lithium-ion battery. that is why i went with the MvG just in case. vibes are not so good for electronic equipment.

fwiw, there was a 2d battery i had for the 276c for LD rides (i didn't hard wire it) but it sometimes would lose its connection. i contacted garmin and they sent me a replacement for free. great customer service. no problems since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No power chord!

I couldn't see the power chord on your installation. I thought,"my, what a clever fellow! Clean installation. Can't even see the wire."

The bubble is burst. There is no wire. No one ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Is there an issue with the hard wire power plugs on the Mvg mount?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts