Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1439230850.html

I wander if this is someone on the forum. While it does sound a little wild....there are always two sides to every story.

I have an etiquette question of my own. I am on a 4 lane divided urban road. There is a long line of cars waiting to turn left and to go straight. I safely split lanes when the cars are stopped, and then stop in front/a little to the side of the first car turning left. I am out of the way of the cars going straight, and the signal cycle is such that I go first, anyway.
I see other riders doing this, but I have had a Prius driver try to force his right of way by inching forward and to the right before the light changed (I usually beat them to the reaction time). Cranky Pious owner, or my faux pas?

·
comrade moderator
26,982 Posts
You're on a bike and they are in cars...dosen't matter who's right or wrong, cause if it comes to push/shove, you're gonna lose.

Let him take it.

How to stay out of trouble? Don't be there...rule #1.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not really challenge him, and there was never a confrontation...just want to know if the general maneuver is considered copasetic. I know it is OK to split lanes in northern california, but I am new to riding (take few risks), and still learning the savoir vivre.

You're on a bike and they are in cars...dosen't matter who's right or wrong, cause if it comes to push/shove, you're gonna lose.

Let him take it.

How to stay out of trouble? Don't be there...rule #1.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've done it on a terminating road but I don't think I'd do it if the road went straight on. Unless there was some major traffic banked up and then I would just blend in as the cars started to move.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1439230850.html

I wander if this is someone on the forum. While it does sound a little wild....there are always two sides to every story.

I have an etiquette question of my own. I am on a 4 lane divided urban road. There is a long line of cars waiting to turn left and to go straight. I safely split lanes when the cars are stopped, and then stop in front/a little to the side of the first car turning left. I am out of the way of the cars going straight, and the signal cycle is such that I go first, anyway.
I see other riders doing this, but I have had a Prius driver try to force his right of way by inching forward and to the right before the light changed (I usually beat them to the reaction time). Cranky Pious owner, or my faux pas?
In my opinion both the CL guy and the Prius guy are cranky Pious a holes. No offence to anyone here on the board but I do not have the patience for smug pious SF Bay area people. There seems to be a large concentration of people with this attitude up there. (Sorry about that rant)

Here is a funny way of looking at it!

The incident the CL guy is describing is different from what you are describing. The HM guy is passing on the right on a very busy, crowded tight 2 lane road. which is illegal. what you are describing is lane sharing and is legal. I do that maneuver every day on my commute to work, and also on my way home. It is a very long wait at both of these lights so I usually give a friendly nod or wave. I love the different reactions that I get. Usually its a nod back or a wave. Sometimes I'm lucky and its a hot girl and I get a look. the ones that crack me up are the glares and the people who white knuckle it and stare straight ahead. Some days I get a guy at the light that wants to race me around the turn. Some guys will go so far as to jump/run the light just to get in front. I let em go. I have actually done this maneuver in front of a CHP and several times in front of the county sheriffs. I wave at them also and they never even give a second look.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rant of the CL poster involves a very different situation, indeed. I would never pass on the right.
I have personally mellowed out with age, kids, and with the acquisition of slightly more valuable toys. I ride at 3/10s on the street, and seldom exceed the speed limit by an indecent amount. Just being on the bike is a thrill, and I am conservative with the throttle since I am a new rider, and the Hyper is a lot of "first bike".

Thanks for the perspective on the lane sharing etiquette.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have my moments of getting tired of slow driving, weaving idiots in cars and drop the hammer to get around them in less than desirable maneuvering.
Non motorcycle riding cagers can't wrap there minds around having nothing better to do in a car than drive. The art/skill of driving has been lost.
Not defending the guy riding the HM but I am sure this is a case of frustration. Only a NoCal a-hole would bother with making a post in CL. I know first hand as I grew up in Mill Valley. I think this person is just pissed because they can't pass people up like the guy on the motorcycle. I like how they shorten Ducati with "duck" like they are in tune with the motorcycling community and not just some regular motorist. Thats "Duc" you tool!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the CL guy is blowing this way out of proportion, but I've been riding in the Bay Area for 30+ years and I lane share daily, freeway and urban, but only do so between the left lane and the next lane over. I never share to the front of a turn lane nor between lanes to the right of the "fast" lane. Oh, I own a Monster and we also have a Prius in the family: it's a fine car, don't make fun of them, many Prius owners are car buffs and good drivers.

-dman

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not been cut off, but I have been accosted by one Prius owner at a gas station.

I had the opportunity to purchase a used 2002 Maserati coupe for, basically used bimmer kinda change, and it became my everyday driver. It is not overly flashy, but it is an exotic 2+2 with 400hp. One Prius owner, a woman in her late 30s...was giving me the dirtiest looks when I was fueling up the car the other day. You could tell she did not like my car. She finally decided to approach when she finished fueling her Toyota and this is when the bizarre rant started. She called me "part of the problem", accused me of starving African children, causing global warming, she got quite worked up....all the while I was just standing there.

My Coupe does get 11/17 mpg, but my commute is exactly 2.3 miles each way. Maybe she was off her meds.
This "confrontation" did end, and this was the one time, where I thought to say something immediately effective:

I told her that I agreed with her 100% percent, that she was in her right to say all this, and that I actually stole this car, so she did not need to get worked up. This caused a very loud hiccup sort of a noise out of her, and she ran back to her car. I think she even forgot about having to press the special start button, because she fumbled for quite a long time to make her get-away.

Now....i realize that this is an isolated incident, and it gives normal Prius owners a bad name, but it was an interesting afternoon for me.

Now that you mention it, I have never been cut off by a Prius driver:rolleyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow...that lady sounds like a bitch! In general I think Prius are geat cars (though I dont have one - I drive and F150; need a truck for work). You cant argue with the great gas mileage of a Prius plus getting to drive in the carpool lane; I wish I could!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts