Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Ok that is really F’in cool. Especially given I have a tall truck and loading bikes into it is very very difficult. HOWEVER, 2200 Euro! Bloody Hell! I need to build my own.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Reactions: scott and RockAZ

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Load up that heavy hog and haul ass to Sturgis. :p

Expensive but looks cool. But also looks like you would be leaving it installed in the truck most if not all the time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is my set-up. Can load the Scrambler solo - Multistrada is more tricky.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Notice they never showed them installing or removing the straps. I am picturing as one person is trying to hold the bike in the chock you need a second to attach straps? what if you do not have a second person? Neat idea but not for me.

We used to have a track day guy who had a whole hydraulic bike platform that lifted itself out of the bed of his truck. Way expensive but super cool. Gotta say I have seen a couple of handicap accessible giant pick ups in the last couple of years and to see the drivers side half of a pick up open like a freaking transformer is pretty cool .

·
comrade moderator
26,992 Posts
It would be cool if
a: It wasn't so expensive, and
b: wasn't permanent in the bed.

I use the two ramp, slip the clutch and walk beside it method. Unloading is scarier than loading. I've been doing it that way for many years and I never dropped one but it's still terrifying.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I saw these things about 20 years ago, they are very expensive--a pain in the ass to mount & remove & while it is mounted in your truck bed --now your truck is worthless to use for anything other then hauling your bike.

·
Sophomore Member
3,123 Posts
A coworker bought a lightly used Goldwing. The previous owner included a Rampage Lift. It was pretty slick seeing that thing load and unload a GL1800. They are frickin expensive, so my coworker promptly sold it. I think a trailer is a better option for that price, but not everyone has a place to store a trailer.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have a small very well built single rail motorcycle trailer --It is all aluminum and very light. The rail is only about 10 inches off the ground and with the 5 foot ramp I have no problem at all loading my motorcycle for a trip--I pull this trailer with a bike with my 2004 VW Jetta TDI and the car does not even know it's back there

Reactions: Monster4Lee

·
Registered
50 Posts
A coworker bought a lightly used Goldwing. The previous owner included a Rampage Lift. It was pretty slick seeing that thing load and unload a GL1800. They are frickin expensive, so my coworker promptly sold it. I think a trailer is a better option for that price, but not everyone has a place to store a trailer.
You can get a whole lot of U-Haul trailer rentals for that kind of money.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here at my house it's a total piece of cake!

Before I had a trailer, I had a berm cut into my property that resulted in a similar set up. It's the way to go if you don't have a trailer, but don't forget the ever important crate as the intermediate step to the bed. You are somewhat at the mercy of the weather though. For me, it was the conclusion that it's just not worth risking all that expensive (and now hard to get) stuff by doing it half assed.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a small very well built single rail motorcycle trailer --It is all aluminum and very light. The rail is only about 10 inches off the ground and with the 5 foot ramp I have no problem at all loading my motorcycle for a trip--I pull this trailer with a bike with my 2004 VW Jetta TDI and the car does not even know it's back there
Is that a commercial trailer, or one that you built or had built? That sounds exactly what I would be interested in purchasing. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
How did you do that? I had assumed that a Jetta would only be rated for a class 1 hitch which supports a 200lbs tongue weight. Did you have something custom installed?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Class 1 hitch is :
200 Pound Tongue Weight

2000 Pound Towing

TDi has plenty of torque to handle a bike.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Class 1 hitch is :
200 Pound Tongue Weight

2000 Pound Towing

TDi has plenty of torque to handle a bike.
It's not about having enough torque to handle a bike, its the fact that most bikes are twice as heavy as the rated tongue weight of a class 1 hitch.

·
comrade moderator
26,992 Posts
But tongue weight is not total weight.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
But tongue weight is not total weight.

The theme of this thread is vehicle mounted solutions vs pull behinds. So tongue weight matters ...

Depending on whether your trailer looks like this:

or like this:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts