Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, all. Here's the lowdown: I'm 51, in good shape so far, (I'm an avid bicyclist) and have spent several happy years tearing around on my 2006 ST3s, which I love. I've also owned, and sold, a 2006 Sport 1000.

For a long time I've been fighting the desire to put an 848 EVO in my garage. "I'm too old, I don't do trackdays, what would I do with it?" etc. are the concerns that have always kept me from gettin' serious about it. But lately, as I lust after the white/red wheel model, the mental barriers are breaking down. I WANT ONE.

What are they like to USE, and to LIVE WITH? Can you take all-day rides on one, if you're about 5'8" and 165 or 170 lbs? Does the performance, handling, thrill, etc. make up for the complete lack of "practicality"? Does it MATTER? How expensive IS the maintenance, assuming maybe 3000 miles/year (I have four bikes total, at the moment)? Has the Testastretta engine proven to be reliable or does it have any major weak points?

All thoughts welcome. I'm just trying to figure out whether an older, non-racer like myself has any business trying to put myself in the seat of an 848.

Thanks!

2006 Ducati ST3s
1988 BMW R100RS
1984 BMW R80RT
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 (stock/mint)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm 53, 5'6" 175lb. not in great shape, have a bulging disc in my neck and I do more than a dozen 500+ mile days every year on my 916 or 1199 and usually do at least one 600+ mile day on one of them. Then again, I've been riding the 916 for over 15 years.

To me they're practical even for multi-day trips. I did a 3 day and a 7 day last year on the 1199 and averaged close to 400 miles a day.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I'm in your age bracket....heavier by 50lbs, taller at 6'-2"...have owned a 2003 999 since 5/07. Bought it used and never regretted it....OK, only once when I was told the left main bearing had gone bad. My 2 previous bikes were a CBR1100XX and ZXR1200R. I loved my CBRXX...in fact if some idiot didn't punt me off it 150ft., I would still own it. The ZXR was cool also, however the 999 w/ DP comfort seat, FBF bar risers, BCM rear sets modified a bit to give me 18+" of legroom is a great bike. The wind protection is lacking when compared to the XX, quicker then the XX by far. Believe it or not it's more comfy than the ZRX as the ZRX has an almost bolt upright riding position which bothered my back, the 999 has never bothered my back.
The testastretta is a great motor....period! Problem areas are the sprag and right main bearing, slow to crank. Maintenance is as usual, belts and valve checks at 7500. Maintenance on a Duc is never ending IMO and I've enjoyed owning it. It's a nice time to buy a testastretta engined superbike as prices are more than fair....
With your experience a 1X98 would be more of a thrilling SBK to own vs a 999 or 848..

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
how old is "old"?

I race a highly modified 848. I broke my neck (C7) in a track crash 3 years ago. I broke my collar bone, shoulder and hand in a track crash last June (back on the track in Sept). ... and we ain't that slow.

One more thing, ... I'll be 65 next birthday.

So - go for it dood!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a bit younger than you are, but about your size, just a little taller. My 916 with FBF bar risers and a Corbin seat is perfectly usable for 200 ~ 300 miles at a time, and I've done ~6 hour rides without too many problems. Unfortunately I've not had the chance to ride the xx98 generation of bikes, but I've heard they are even better from a comfort standpoint.

To your other point, yes, it's completely worth it. When the 916 is running well, and being ridden on a twisty backroad as intended, it's an experience that makes odd mechanical and electrical concerns seem utterly unimportant. Owning a Ducati superbike is definitely something that I would recommend if you have the means and the inclination.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Have you bought it yet? Of course you should have a Superbike if you can afford it. Ducati is (was) a race bike company. The only way to see what a Duc is is to ride the real thing.

When my son and I rode cross country and back on sportbikes people asked us why. We would just smile and tell them "you just gotta want to". I was 50 then, 56 now,and there is still a Superbike in my garage (916).

You just gotta want to. Also read Anti-Hero's entire post.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After a while my wrists start to hurt on the 1098....but so what?? Get bar risers, or just different bars all together. Once you want a Ducati there's no substitute, lol.

BTW, you might want to look at a Streetfighter 848. It's $1,000 less, and has the same engine and a more confortable ride :cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds to me like your heart is calling out for it. There's only one fix for that and that's to buy it. You can sort the little niggles out once you've owned it

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,524 Posts
I'm around you height/weight, 62 y/y and have 3 sportsbikes with clipons and can't imagine ever riding one with normal handlebars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for all the quick and thoughtful replies . . . I'm hearing a lot of encouraging things here . . . bad for the bank balance, maybe, but helpful! Keep them coming.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am considering an 848EVO for the same reasons as the OP. I have the same concerns as well. Thanks for posting your questions in this thread. The responses have been helpful.

I'm 51 and in excellent shape. I'm going to rent an 848EVO and a Panigale (for comparison purposes) to see how they work for all day riding. I expect to love them both and buy a new one (just one) in January.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
. . . bad for the bank balance, maybe, ...
It might be bad for the bank balance, but I can think of nothing better to keep one's mind alert and body in great physical condition, ...

... and that's what I keep telling my lovely wife.:)

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Am 52, 5'8", 165, Masters swimmer, ice climber and sailor so am in really good shape. I have no complaints whatsoever... Easily one of the best purchases I ever made.

Pull the trigger sir and don't worry... These bikes were designed for smaller guys like us.

·
Bon Vivant
11,568 Posts
If it were your only bike I'd try to talk you out of it. As you seem to have already figured out they are not practical and not fun to ride in traffic or for commuting.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 848 for the street, I think it makes a better track bike. The 1198 with its instant power is much more fun on the street where you can goof around and feel the torque when you need to or want to.

But since you already have good commuter bikes and daily drivers I think you should go for it. Even if it's not what you expect you have to experience it for yourself to really know. But do yourself a favor and buy the big bike...:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm 55 and overweight and not in good shape but getting better. I thought some of the same things as to whether I could even ride a sportbike.
I just jumped in and haven't regretted it.
I have ridden all day on my 1198s and they can be changed to adjust to your position or riding style. I have Sato rearsets and Helibars clip-ons to gain a little more comfort and a superpole seat to keep my gut off the tank while transitioning from left to right in turns.
I do trackdays too and on the track flynbulldog is correct. I agree that an 848 is a better track bike but it's still a fun streetbike.
I would go for it if I were you. We don't know how long we can do this so why wait?

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Do it.
Live the dream. There isn't really any thing else to do anyway.
Then you'll be the one to have that grin on your face, making everyone else wonder if They could do it.:D

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm 50, and have a 996 I bought new in 2000. It is easily the worst streetbike I've ever owned.

But it's not for sale, now or anytime in the foreseeable future, which ought to tell you something. :)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
It might be bad for the bank balance, but I can think of nothing better to keep one's mind alert and body in great physical condition, ...

... and that's what I keep telling my lovely wife.:)
If that's not the truth....taking a spin on my 999 definitely puts me in a better frame of mind. If I'm not riding. I'm tinkering with it, cleaning this or that. That in and of itself just relaxes me. I have at least the cost of a base model Panigale tied up in upgrades, nearly $8K alone in the FBF built engine. It's nearly impossible to buy a Ducati w/o spending huge amounts of $$$ on upgrades.
I would find a dealer and demo what you can. Remember you can upgrade to suit ergo wise....and don't get too concerned if it seems uncomfortable after a demo ride or two. Your body will adapt, might take a few weeks, but you'll settle into the more extreme ergonomics of a SBK.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I'm 50, 6ft & 200lbs, been riding a 916 since 1998 and find it fine, weight can build up on the elbows a little on a long ride, especially if any slow/city riding is involved but otherwise quite comfortable.

I reckon it helps keep me in some sort of shape but they probably 'fit' a smaller rider better...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts