Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start off by mentioning that I do not post much on here, because I spend countless hours just searching through what other people have posted and usually finding answers to all of my questions. So, thanks to all of you who have answered many of my questions already.

Like many of us on here, I am looking to upgrade my exhaust system, but can't seem to get answers to certain questions.

1. If I purchase a new exhaust system (slip on) without a new ECU do you NEED to purchase a PowerCommander III or V?

2. Could you get away with using the stock ECU, no PowerCommander, and the FatDuc o2 manipulator instead?

3. What is the diameter of the end of the header where the exhaust can slips onto? (I can't get an accurate reading for the LIFE of me!)

Basically I am really interested in the look and style of the M4 Retro Drag pipes that only seem to go on Hayabusas. If M4 has the proper fit, I would love to see what they look like and sound like on a Sport Classic. I also really like the look and style of the Fresco shorty style exhaust system, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells them.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate all of your motorcycle wisdom!

Blake

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I would like to start off by mentioning that I do not post much on here, because I spend countless hours just searching through what other people have posted and usually finding answers to all of my questions. So, thanks to all of you who have answered many of my questions already.

Like many of us on here, I am looking to upgrade my exhaust system, but can't seem to get answers to certain questions.

1. If I purchase a new exhaust system (slip on) without a new ECU do you NEED to purchase a PowerCommander III or V?

2. Could you get away with using the stock ECU, no PowerCommander, and the FatDuc o2 manipulator instead?

3. What is the diameter of the end of the header where the exhaust can slips onto? (I can't get an accurate reading for the LIFE of me!)

Basically I am really interested in the look and style of the M4 Retro Drag pipes that only seem to go on Hayabusas. If M4 has the proper fit, I would love to see what they look like and sound like on a Sport Classic. I also really like the look and style of the Fresco shorty style exhaust system, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells them.

Blake
Fresco directly from the manufacturer… http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showpost.php?p=664134&postcount=13

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts

Blake
1. You can run the bike with the stock ECU and aftermarket pipes, however it will run like crap. If you modify your airbox it will run like even more crap. You need something to modify the mapping of the stock ECU, period. A PC will do this, but won't be able to operate in closed-loop mode, where the O2 sensor is read. Meaning, there is no mapping support when in closed loop operation.

2. The FatDuc only modifies the O2 readings, but I'm not sure that it makes the proper mapping for slipons. It was really meant to richen the mixture to prevent popping and rough operation. The FatDuc is really analogous to the old lean pot. It works on a global scale to skew the map richer or leaner, but doesn't change the map.

It might be possible to use the stock ECU, PCIII and FatDuc, all together, but once you add up the cost of the parts / installation (maybe) and tuning, you are looking at close to the price of the DP ECU anyway. The DP ECU is tuneable enough to work with other pipes than the Termis. The M4's look a lot like the Termis anyway. So it might be best just to get the DP setup with pipes.

3. Not sure, but 48mm sticks in my head.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We used the ProTune ECU Remap Kit to load a DP map on the stock ECU. It is half the cost of a DP ECU. They offer different maps at no extra charge if you want to change your exhaust or air box to something else.

-M

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
We used the ProTune ECU Remap Kit to load a DP map on the stock ECU. It is half the cost of a DP ECU. They offer different maps at no extra charge if you want to change your exhaust or air box to something else.

-M
Hey, since this is germane to the discussion, I wanted to pick your brain about the remap kit.

1) How does it affect the immobilizer?
2) Are the maps that you load, exactly the same as the DP maps?
3) Does it affect any other functions like the rev-limiter / sidestand / fans?
4) Can you re-flash to stock?

Thanks!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
What would be the point of that?
The reflash product is being offered as an alternative to the DP ECU. I just wanted to know if the maps are copied from the DP part, or are they developed by a third party?

I'm just trying to see how close they will be for a given configuration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts