Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Group. I just discovered these little hockey puck like things between the fins of the top part of the engine, and I'm guessing they keep the vibration harmonics down. Some, not sure how many, have fallen out. Can anyone comment on their effectiveness, or replaced them with new ones, or something else?

cheers. N

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I think they are to prevent the fins from breaking off due to vibration, but that's just something I heard from someone else.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Commonly found on the garage floor around Ducatis - Duc droppings. As noted they are to dampen sound for regulatory reasons. I don't see any reason to replace them. Interestingly my '00 Monster lost them all during its short (sniff) life - my '96 SS/SP just shed one the other day. Maybe it got caught up in the fairing? Kinda fun to see one again. TT

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
They are noise dampers, pure and simple. Ducati (and every other manufacturer) have to pass Federal noise tests and this helps them accomplish that. Noise not made by ringing cylinder fins can be made by exhausts.

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
They are there for noise control, nothing else.

None of my Ducatis came with them, but my Guzzis did.

They are long gone.

Tom

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
duc droppings

thanks. hmm ok well mine are falling out too, but I don't hear much more than my engine running:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts