221 - 226 of 226 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
The bat cruelty people won't like that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I needed a new battery for my Aprilia RS125, and after reading this thread I decided to give Full Spectrum with their apparently fairly fool proof BMS a try.

Due to the tiny engine, I figured the tiny P1 shouldn't have any trouble with it. I knew I was getting a small and light battery but when I first pulled it out of the box I was still shocked.

It's amazingly light and small, feels more like you're holding an ECU or something.

After using it for a bit, I am somewhat torn. Due to the electronics (and the fact that this bike has a voltmeter and warning lights) I am not worried that anything involving smoke or fire will go wrong with it, not anymore so than I worry about my laptop blowing up. It also cranks the tiny engine over fast, no surprise there. But.. it really doesn't like cold weather. And since this bike has issues with cold starts as is, that is a problem. Below 5C I get two start attempts before the low voltage protection shuts things down. Cycle ignition, repeat once or twice, and then it needs to be revived with a charger. I gave up riding this bike to work because of this.

Maybe the cold issue is exaggerated due to the tiny size of this battery (then again, cranking amps on a 125 2-stroke can't be very high), and maybe I also need to figure out why the engine takes so long to start in the cold, but based on this I wouldn't put a lithium battery in my big bikes yet.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have to say I have lith. battery's in 8 of my own bikes, & I have installed them in probably about 50 customer bikes The only issue I have had is on a bike that does not get ridden often enough & is not kept on a charger with the battery's going flat due to the friggin clock on the bike having a constant parasitic voltage drain, On my own bikes I have disconnected the clock on them all to eliminate this issue. I now have bikes that have Lith battery's that have been in the bikes for 5 plus years -I almost never put them on a charger & I have no starting issues so far

·
Smut peddler
833 Posts
I have to say I have lith. battery's in 8 of my own bikes, & I have installed them in probably about 50 customer bikes The only issue I have had is on a bike that does not get ridden often enough & is not kept on a charger with the battery's going flat due to the friggin clock on the bike having a constant parasitic voltage drain, On my own bikes I have disconnected the clock on them all to eliminate this issue. I now have bikes that have Lith battery's that have been in the bikes for 5 plus years -I almost never put them on a charger & I have no starting issues so far
What brand? I used Earth X, and wasn't that greatly impressed (other than weight, obviously). Thought aboot trying Shoria.

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
I’m fortuitous in that the new version of lithium that i received from my supplier fits in all my bikes. It’s just a matter of unplugging the Anderson plug and putting it in another bike. This way I don’t have to worry about constant recharging.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have used Ballistic, Deltran, & one other that I get from Western Powersports which is another of my suppliers --I have had zero issues with any of them. I'm sure most of the higher end lith. batterys are pretty equal The cheap ones I personally would avoid although they may be ok but I am not going to take the risk and test them--If you want to go ahead, it's your bike after all --I just think too much of my motorcycles to do so. Of course I dont have insane temp changes here in central Florida compared to other places so I can ride basically year round--of course I chose not to ride if the temp goes below 60 deg F lol--I have heard that the lith battery's dont like really cold temps but I would not know

221 - 226 of 226 Posts