Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Liquid cooled vs Air Cooled Clutch Slave Cylinder

880 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Shawn of the Dead 
#1 ·
Hi all , I have a Monster1200R that suffers from the same problems as my previous bike (1098) in the clutch slave cylinder dept. The clutch gets progressively softer until you can't find neutral or shift from neutral to first. It requires bleeding yearly and sometimes more often. Its easy enough to do and I know that an aftermarket cylinder would solve the problem.

My 1100s Hyper (which appears to have the same slave cylinder) never has this problem. I only bleed it when doing maintenance. IIRC It has only been done once in the last few years and that was just to refresh the fluid. Performance was fine.

What gives ?

#3 ·
My understanding is the aftermarket slave cylinders have a better seal to prevent contamination of the fluid. They also have more surface area for a lighter clutch pull.

I was more curious as to why my air cooled bike doesn't have this issue but my 4 valvers do.

#11 ·
This is all interesting stuff. When I went to pull the slave off it seemed stuck ?

It pulled off a little but would come no further. Rather than mess with it I bolted it back on and bled everything. It works fine. Should I have to twist it or mess with it (2015 Monster R) ?

My 1098 slave just came right off. Haven't messed with the hyper.

Any clue as to why this seems more common on the liquid cooled motors ? Coincidence maybe ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.