Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to lubricate the rose joints on the gearshift & rear suspension rod?

Nothing about it in the maintenance manual that I can see.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I've hit mine with WD40 and maybe some spray-on grease, but that was mainly doe to the rust that was just starting on the shock/link joints on my older ST2.

But to my knowledge, they don't require it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a degreaser. If you use it to clean a part, it works very, very well, but you need to lubricate after.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Do I have to lubricate the rose joints on the gearshift & rear suspension rod?

Nothing about it in the maintenance manual that I can see.

thanks in advance
I always dismantle and lube the linkages once a year to prevent problems developing - Some have reported stiff linkages if neglected.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a degreaser. If you use it to clean a part, it works very, very well, but you need to lubricate after.
Sorry to correct you, but WD40 is a water dispersant, thus the WD name & the reason for the 40 is that it took them 40 times to get US millitary approval for their product.
It is a degreaser due to the solvent that helps carry the light lubricant in the product, but it does have it's place in the world, depends on who you believe.
Basic Kerosene, is probably more affective, but doesn't smell as nice.

Craig

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Plus, if you re-read my post, it mentions rust on the joints. I didn't say I was trying to lubricate it--just trying to keep the lower joint from rusting. And last I knew, the can says it a decent rust inhibitor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
On another tack, so to speak, I use this, Harken Sailkote because I have cans of it lying around. On-the-water experience with it tells me that I should give my linkage a spray fairly often.

It's probably not the quite-right stuff but I need to use it all up...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks

I knew that common sense would prevail. All exposed joints must need lubrication

1 - 8 of 8 Posts