Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have '13 Hypermotard with RapidBike EVO installed. It went in to limp mode and bunch of lights on dashboard started to flash. Dealer started diagnosing and is saying that stock ECU is not communicating, I guess it's dead. They are also saying it's probably that RapidBike and it's harness that did it. The RapidBike folks are saying no way. Anyone had similar experience with or without rapidBike installed. What was the verdict? I googled around and people have been reporting bikes going in to limp mode, but nothing concrete as for the cause or resolution.

Thank You

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi.

I have '13 Hypermotard with RapidBike EVO installed. It went in to limp mode and bunch of lights on dashboard started to flash. Dealer started diagnosing and is saying that stock ECU is not communicating, I guess it's dead. They are also saying it's probably that RapidBike and it's harness that did it. The RapidBike folks are saying no way. Anyone had similar experience with or without rapidBike installed. What was the verdict? I googled around and people have been reporting bikes going in to limp mode, but nothing concrete as for the cause or resolution.

Thank You
Sorry for your troubles....
The issue with the HM's dash/ECU going haywire has been reported a few times here, maybe more than a few times. I have never read of it happening after the RB install though.

This is a fear that I have had and, is why I've been holding off installing mine for the time being.

How many miles on your bike and, how long after the RB install did the ECU die? Of course, the dealer is going to blame the RB module for the failure but, this is a pretty common issue with these bikes and the DEALER SHOULD KNOW THIS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry for your troubles....
The issue with the HM's dash/ECU going haywire has been reported a few times here, maybe more than a few times. I have never read of it happening after the RB install though.

This is a fear that I have had and, is why I've been holding off installing mine for the time being.

How many miles on your bike and, how long after the RB install did the ECU die? Of course, the dealer is going to blame the RB module for the failure but, this is a pretty common issue with these bikes and the DEALER SHOULD KNOW THIS.
I had it install in beginning of February. The bike has a little over 10k miles on it.

Not a good situation. I don't know who is responsible for re-installing it, and if it RapidBike is re-installed tps wire needs to be tapped again. I don't think it's a good thing for a signal?

First thing is I need to show it's a common issue.

To add. I keep hearing it's a well known issue, but I can't find a lot of evidence of it. Except I think one guy on youtube. All others seems to be it stalling out due to being super lean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANM-U6Wwkw

There is for hyperStrada something similar...
http://hyperstrada.com/mechanical-technical/328-limp-mode.html

·
Registered
946 Posts
There is a huge thread on the Hyperstrada forum about it. Ducati has been replacing coils and dash units for a while now.

The Rapidbike unit did NOT cause the problem, but of course the dealer will say otherwise. My dealer just denied my starter motor replacement because of the Rapidbike unit. Like... wtf? The starter motor is drawing too much current and can't turn over the engine (for the second time, the first motor did this too), therefore the device that alters the fuel injection is to blame...? I don't think so, but what can you do? Not buy a Ducati again.

My advice... if you're still under warranty, take off the RB unit and get it dealt with. Cause it can be costly. If you're out of warranty, scavenge eBay for parts, particularly the coils, dash, and O2 sensors. Those seem to be the problematic parts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a huge thread on the Hyperstrada forum about it. Ducati has been replacing coils and dash units for a while now.

The Rapidbike unit did NOT cause the problem, but of course the dealer will say otherwise. My dealer just denied my starter motor replacement because of the Rapidbike unit. Like... wtf? The starter motor is drawing too much current and can't turn over the engine (for the second time, the first motor did this too), therefore the device that alters the fuel injection is to blame...? I don't think so, but what can you do? Not buy a Ducati again.
Is that the thread I linked to, in above post?

Yeah I am leaning towards that too. I was hoping to get 2-3 years out of it and go with Zero Sumo or Husky 701, but at this rate...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Is that the thread I linked to, in above post?

Yeah I am leaning towards that too. I was hoping to get 2-3 years out of it and go with Zero Sumo or Husky 701, but at this rate...
Yeah, although there are more than 1 thread over there on the same issue.

The Zero won't match the performance or excitement of the hyper yet. In fact not much will, which is what makes this a difficult decision haha. It's a great bike when it works...

One think I would look into FIRST actually... since it was mentioned before, is unplug all the connectors, specifically on the ECU and the dash, and make sure the sockets on the connectors are all inserted into the connector, and maybe do a couple insert/remove cycles. Try disconnecting the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, although there are more than 1 thread over there on the same issue.

The Zero won't match the performance or excitement of the hyper yet. In fact not much will, which is what makes this a difficult decision haha. It's a great bike when it works...

One think I would look into FIRST actually... since it was mentioned before, is unplug all the connectors, specifically on the ECU and the dash, and make sure the sockets on the connectors are all inserted into the connector, and maybe do a couple insert/remove cycles. Try disconnecting the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes as well.
I know, but I rather have bike that works, then something I keep dumping money in to. Instant torque is nice. Biggest issue is range of course. That's why I was waiting in hopes it will improve. As it stands now bike I want precludes any kind of weekend fun.

Anyway... Hmm, I'll ask them. Bike is in the shop. They disconnected RapidBike, and it won't even start without it, and there is no communication from ECU.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I know, but I rather have bike that works, then something I keep dumping money in to. Instant torque is nice. Biggest issue is range of course. That's why I was waiting in hopes it will improve. As it stands now bike I want precludes any kind of weekend fun.

Anyway... Hmm, I'll ask them. Bike is in the shop. They disconnected RapidBike, and it won't even start without it, and there is no communication from ECU.
Call up the Cycle Pro and see if he has a bypass connector. This will basically short out all the pins so that you can remove the rapidbike, but you get to leave the wiring harness in place. It will take the RB unit out of the equation and the bike should start normally assuming everything else worked.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Call up the Cycle Pro and see if he has a bypass connector. This will basically short out all the pins so that you can remove the rapidbike, but you get to leave the wiring harness in place. It will take the RB unit out of the equation and the bike should start normally assuming everything else worked.
CyclePro, not sure I know them?

Dealership told me they already disconnected RapidBike I assumed it meant they disconnected all the connectors, and un-tapped TPS wire... I'll double check tomorrow.

·
Registered
946 Posts
CyclePro, not sure I know them?

Dealership told me they already disconnected RapidBike I assumed it meant they disconnected all the connectors, and un-tapped TPS wire... I'll double check tomorrow.
Sorry... Cycle Pro is the name of the shop that distributes the RB units in the US, and is the main support channel if something goes wrong.

What dealer are you working with?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry... Cycle Pro is the name of the shop that distributes the RB units in the US, and is the main support channel if something goes wrong.

What dealer are you working with?
Oh... yeah where I got it from. Rapid Bike adaptive fuel injection tuning for all sport bikes. Yep looks like they have bypass for 55 bucks, but I think dealer already disconnected everything.

I can PM you if you are interested..., but I don't see a reason to make it public. I am sure they are doing their best to get to the bottom of it. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so I got my Hper back a while back.
Issue, from memory, is that ignition coil on some early 821 models spike voltage. Which messed with ECU. Usually resetting it would do the trick, but on mine it took out ECU and apparently dash. The fancy computer at a dealership couldn't communicate with it at all! After things were replaced bike is up and running again. Well bulb burned out today.

What was replaced:
Instrument Panel, Engine Control Unit, and 2 coils.

So fingers crossed it's all good now.

I am waiting to install rapid bike back. Although bike actually runs better now, then before it was installed. Go figure. I might just leave it off, and sell it...

·
Registered
253 Posts
OK, so I got my Hper back a while back.
Issue, from memory, is that ignition coil on some early 821 models spike voltage. Which messed with ECU. Usually resetting it would do the trick, but on mine it took out ECU and apparently dash. The fancy computer at a dealership couldn't communicate with it at all! After things were replaced bike is up and running again. Well bulb burned out today.

What was replaced:
Instrument Panel, Engine Control Unit, and 2 coils.

So fingers crossed it's all good now.

I am waiting to install rapid bike back. Although bike actually runs better now, then before it was installed. Go figure. I might just leave it off, and sell it...
Glad you are up and running again. Were your repairs covered under warranty, or not?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts