Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few places that you can sent in your ECU and have it re-flashed to remove the torque limitation in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. But all the places I have read about it they trying to sell me something.

Is this for real? Have any of you felt a real difference in the first gears? Or just a small increase which could just come from a new MAP?

When I think about it, it should only be possible to limit the torque by running the bike lean (high Air/fuel ratio), since it does not have ride-by-wire.

What do you guys think?

·
Bon Vivant
11,112 Posts
I have read a few places that you can sent in your ECU and have it re-flashed to remove the torque limitation in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. But all the places I have read about it they trying to sell me something.

Is this for real? Have any of you felt a real difference in the first gears? Or just a small increase which could just come from a new MAP?

When I think about it, it should only be possible to limit the torque by running the bike lean (high Air/fuel ratio), since it does not have ride-by-wire.

What do you guys think?
I do think this is possibly true but I believe that the method used is to retard the ignition timing in the first three gears.

I do not know this to be a fact but I have also read these statements.

I don't feel like there is reduced torque but living at altitude I would be grateful for any additional output available.
I'm running a custom map, I don't know if that situation was addressed but I would hope so.

·
Old Fast Guy
495 Posts

What do you guys think?
Where specifically have you read that there is a torque limitation in 1-3 gear?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do think this is possibly true but I believe that the method used is to retard the ignition timing in the first three gears.
Good point. Of course you can limit the power by retarding the timing. Why wasn't I thinking of that? :D

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
There were some reports of a nanny control built into all Ducati models. Basically it is there to limit the possibily of you looping it. There was a stunt rider here who posted about it and how it had to be removed by special means. I have not heard of any ECU solution to eliminte this feature.

·
Old Fast Guy
495 Posts
There were some reports of a nanny control built into all Ducati models. Basically it is there to limit the possibily of you looping it. There was a stunt rider here who posted about it and how it had to be removed by special means. I have not heard of any ECU solution to eliminte this feature.
Really? Sounds like a "false-ism" perpetuated by internet forums to me.

Reported by a "stunt rider"? That's a good one.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
Really? Sounds like a "false-ism" perpetuated by internet forums to me.

Reported by a "stunt rider"? That's a good one.
But this one had some credibility behind him. If you have seen any Ducati in the movies lately, chances are he was one of the ones riding it. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read a few places that Redline Performance can remove the torque limitation, and this guy says the same.

This place also describes that they have removed the torque limitation.

·
Bon Vivant
11,112 Posts
there's definitely some credibility to the torque limitation in the stock map, it has been reported by more than one tuner.

But the deal that wonway is talking about is a rate of change wheelie control that has been denied by Ducati but was discovered by one of the top builders of bikes for the movie industry. They had to swap to aftermarket ECU's to defeat the wheelie control on Ducatis to do the stunts for their movies.
That is a completely different control from the torque limiting.

The wheelie control is also very real and one of the very first things I noticed when I got my new SF back in 09.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have read a few places that Redline Performance can remove the torque limitation, and this guy says the same.

Ok, so how do you get rid of this torque limiter in 1-3?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will a ECU reflash also get rid of the wheelie control?

·
Old Fast Guy
495 Posts

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

·
Bon Vivant
11,112 Posts
Will a ECU reflash also get rid of the wheelie control?
I don't know of any tuner who has found a way to address that issue. I do know that it is in the ECU because it was gone when I tried an aftermarket ECU for a while.
(and also that was the solution that the other guy found)

I didn't stick with the other ECU because the tune was too far off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Flyn, is it an SF or SFS you have? I think maybe the wheelie control has something to do with the DTC-system? I have a SF(no DTC) and I have no problem lifting the front wheel :D

Edit: I found this document that says the DTC will allow you to do a wheelie:
http://issuu.com/hellforleather/docs/ducati_traction_control

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
wheelie control?
wtf? do i own a different bike? or maybe thats for the 848 fighter...

·
Bon Vivant
11,112 Posts
Flyn, is it an SF or SFS you have? I think maybe the wheelie control has something to do with the DTC-system? I have a SF(no DTC) and I have no problem lifting the front wheel :D

Edit: I found this document that says the DTC will allow you to do a wheelie:
Ducati Traction Control Explained
No it has nothing to do with DTC in fact the movie bikes were 848s that did not have DTC. This is not only related to streeetfighters

Those documents are well known but unfortunately they are only half true. We went through all of this 3 years ago.

As I said before it's a rate of change control, if you can lift the front smoothly the control will not interrupt. But try clutching up a wheelie and you get an abrupt ignition cut.

CTS put your bike in 3rd and try clutching up a wheelie and report back here.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ok so it can be done, but no one in North America knows how to do it.

Who wants to ship the ECU to the UK?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so it can be done, but no one in North America knows how to do it.

Who wants to ship the ECU to the UK?

People in UK :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
No it has nothing to do with DTC in fact the movie bikes were 848s that did not have DTC. This is not only related to streeetfighters

Those documents are well known but unfortunately they are only half true. We went through all of this 3 years ago.

As I said before it's a rate of change control, if you can lift the front smoothly the control will not interrupt. But try clutching up a wheelie and you get an abrupt ignition cut.

CTS put your bike in 3rd and try clutching up a wheelie and report back here.
I've almost looped my base big bro SF powering it up in second. No darn rate of change control showed up to save me :mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts