Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 1973 750 Sport, owned since 1998, back then I was young, I'm still young at heart, but not so strong, my master plan to enable me to keep riding it for as many years as possible is to get the bike on a diet. Anything I replace will be stored so that the next owner can put it back to original if they prefer.
The main area for weight reduction is of course the frame, originally built to be sturdy, which it is, but I reckon I could save at least 20lbs by using a frame with lightweight tubing such as Reynolds T45. Trying to source a frame is proving difficult,
Verlicci would only consider a minimum order of 10 units, other frame makers aren't interested, so I'll have to go another route.
To make this project viable, I would need to get a jig made and then produce a small production run of frames.
So I'm testing the market for potential buyers, if I produced them is there anyone out there interested in getting one
and if so, how much would you want to pay? I'm in the UK, obviously postage worldwide would be expensive.

·
Bon Vivant
11,430 Posts
With the strong value of the 750 sport I think the market for these bikes is squarely in being 100% original. I'm not sure many owners are actively modifying any sports out there. I know if I owned one what you are talking about is the last thing I'd do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, I really just want feedback from actual current owners who would be interested, so I can gauge if there is zero interest or a worthwhile number. A frame doesn't have to be a permanent change.
cheers
Jeff

·
Bon Vivant
11,430 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think you should leave the sport as is. Weight reduction is a good thing but not the only way to an easier/different riding experience. A change in the relationship between the bars, seat and foot pegs can give better control over the existing mass. As for a better frame :- Vee Two Ducati Alchemy SV-1 - Modernized Aussie Bevel Head
You can change the bodywork, bars or even put carbon wheels on if you wish. Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you should leave the sport as is. Weight reduction is a good thing but not the only way to an easier/different riding experience. A change in the relationship between the bars, seat and foot pegs can give better control over the existing mass. As for a better frame :- Vee Two Ducati Alchemy SV-1 - Modernized Aussie Bevel Head
You can change the bodywork, bars or even put carbon wheels on if you wish. Cheers
Ian
Thanks Ian, I want to try and keep it as standard looking as possible, just lighter!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can also check with NCR, They'd probably make you a one-off titanium frame. also framecrafters will build whatever you want. Performance Motorcycle Fabricators and Old Racing Spares sells a reproduction frame already, you night check with Alen on the weight, he could probably get one done for you that is lightened: 750 GT-S-SS 1974 - Old Racing Spare Parts
Thanks Ian, I've got a budget but it wouldn't run to an NCR titanium Frame unless I sold both kidneys and a right arm!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts