Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, i recently purchased a lightweight flywheel for my 996, Has anyone had any time or say knowledge on/of these, i do track days only on my Duke and i've sat down and worked out the time i have done on said flywheel, being very nice and adding a little time say warm-up,sitting on the dumbie grid we came up with 1.5hours.

I pulled her apart to have a look at how things were going and to my surprise the teeth on inside on the flywheel were all completely striped off,so in reality the whole rotor flywheel assembly was free-wheeling.

Any thoughts ?

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Lightweight aluminum flywheels with splined centers (Nichols, Ducati Performance) are damaged when the retaining nut comes loose and not because the aluminum isn't strong enough.

The flywheel is sandwiched between a belleville washer (a curved spring washer) and a steel spacer. When any nut configuration (stock or a pair of jam nuts) is properly torqued, this washer is flattened. It requires over 2,500 pounds to flatten this washer which will prevent any type or brand of flywheel from rotating back and forth on the splines. But, if the pressure is reduced by the nut becoming loose, the flywheel will begin to move on the crankshaft splines.

There is a simple solution to this problem. Change the single nut to a pair of jam nuts offered by Nichols. Ducati used this design without failure on many models in the early '90s. It worked then and it still works today.

Nichols Manufacturing, Incorporated | Welcome

Attachments

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
The the OP... Congratulations on gettingj Shazaam to speak... I always ask absurd questions hoping to invoke him, but he stays resolutely silent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Shazaam, Thanks for the reply,The double nut did come with my flywheel, but the St4S motor that i have couldn't use this as the stator would not fit over the nuts and yea i had to revert to the original single nut and lock tight.

How are you suppose to lock the motor to tighten the nut?
What are we suppose to use a to tighten said nut?

I am now in the process of a friend lightening and balancing my OEM stainless flywheel.Am hoping that the strength of stainless will help(i don't know how tight i did the nut,but was very hard pressed to get it undone.(and yup i did note the sentence about alloy not being a strength issue)

Thanks for your time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts