Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
What are you calling the ideal weight ?
Through the R&D that Ducshop did years ago, it seems that 1lb, 12oz (1.76lbs) seems to work best for street ridden bikes as they give you enough benefit to make it a worthwhile mod but still enough flywheel effect to maintain idle and stop and go traffic situations.

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
While waiting for the rest of the parts for my dry clutch conversion I decided to open the other side. While in there I lightened the flywheel. Kbike has 2 steel versions, 1.76lbs and 1.18lbs. The aluminum one from SSR is insanely light at under 1lb. My stock was 2.146lbs. I turned it down to 1.622lbs. We will see what happens once the clutch stuff arives. Hopefully it's a nice improvement like most say. I keep seeing people talking about it being one of the top mods to do to most bikes. I did notice a bunch of build up in the one way clutch so I was able to clean that out while in there.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Looking forward to you reporting back once you've run it. Someone on FB stated that they swapped theirs out and it was heaps better and recommended it to all. Not news to me as I have done it before, but that was on an air-cooled Hyper with a stock flywheel of over 4 lbs.

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have been seeing in numerous posts that the aluminum flywheel is dangerous on a daily driver. Something about the aluminum breaking down on the splines and where it bolts to the bolt retainer. I have seen numerous posts about making sure to regularly check the tightness of all the bolts as regular maintenance when switching to aluminum. Have you seen that as well? I'm curious to hear back from those couple guys who recently switched to aluminum on the liquid cooled bikes. I'll share my experience once the bike is back up and running. Still waiting on gears.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I have been seeing in numerous posts that the aluminum flywheel is dangerous on a daily driver. Something about the aluminum breaking down on the splines and where it bolts to the bolt retainer. I have seen numerous posts about making sure to regularly check the tightness of all the bolts as regular maintenance when switching to aluminum. Have you seen that as well? I'm curious to hear back from those couple guys who recently switched to aluminum on the liquid cooled bikes. I'll share my experience once the bike is back up and running. Still waiting on gears.
I have heard the same. In fact, I was hearing the same back in 2009 when I installed a lightweight STEEL flywheel in my 2008 Hyper. IMHO, the aluminum ones are too light and too fragile for what I need. Kbike has a balanced steel one for $169 that I will probably get. I can't remember what I paid for Ducshop to turn mine down back in 2009, but it was a bit less.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ended up turning my stock steel one down to a little lighter than the heavy kbike(they have 2 versions. 1 heavier than the other but both lighter than stock). I just got thw bike back together last night in thw dark and it's around °28f so I didnt get to mess with it much. Did a dry clutch conversion while I was messing around so I wont really be able to tell a direct difference between the old and the new since their was alot more work done than the flywheel . OEM was 2.146lbs and now its 1.622lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hopefully, it has warmed up for you in the last 8 days. Did you get a chance to ride it yet?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It has. The bike revs quicker and pulls quicker and more smoothly. I'm very happy with it but the clutch is louder than I expected. So there is a whole adjustment period with that plus I sprung an oil leak that i think i have sorted out now but we are back to 20° days again so i cant test that. But, the bike feels more peppy and that off idle bark is very crisp. I'm happy so far

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That's great to hear. I am a bit concerned with the stock flywheel being 2.14lbs and the Kbike heavier version being 1.76lbs. I'm wondering if the difference is enough to justify the change. It makes me begin to think about the Kbike lighter version at 1.14lbs, a solid 1lb off of the stock one. But then, is it too light?

Why is this so friken hard?

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL. If you have a friend with a lathe they can cut down your OEM flywheel for free/beer. That's what I did. That super light one from kbike might be too light for daily driving. You can get a used OEM one off ebay for pretty cheap if you want to go back to stock. That is the least expensive way to go about it. I have read and searched for hours and most people say to stay away from the aluminum flywheel for daily driving. The center splined area will wear out and get chewed up resulting in metal in your oil. You might even be able to take your OEM wheel to a local machine shop for alot less than kbike.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Hypermo, I couldn't find anything on their website. Where did you get your info and could you point me in that direction please?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a brand new ally flywheel shear its splines off. This was on the first road ride after installation. Thought the engine had shit itself.

The nut was still torqued up.

I always turn down the steel ones now.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I also prefer a lightened steel as it is a one and done job, you will never have that part fail. I have seen more than one aluminum flywheel lose splines but understand it may be a long life before it happens. Getting a steel flywheel down to that weight will be about impossible so if you need "the lightest" you are eeither running no flywheel or aluminum. All of my bikes run a steel flywheel between 1.8-2.0lbs besides gearing I find it to be the best bang for the buck thing you can do.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Ok, Ducshop is where I had the one for my 2008 turned down as well.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Soooo.....I found a Kbike 800g flywheel for the low price of $89. It came up on a Google search for said product in search of the lowest price. Bellissimoto had a sale on it last month but I missed it. So searching I did.

I am leery though. The site is called www.gigfigstore.com and they advertised the flywheel at $89. Then offered me a 10% discount for a total of $80. Stupid cheap right? Maybe I'm the one that's stupid if they never actually produce the part or try to send me a cheap Chinese knockoff.

In my defense, the pictures they used were the same as on the Kbike and Bellissimoto site. Also, the part numbers were same as on those sites. So everything checked out. A search of the website reviews netted me zero however, but then there was nothing negative either. No BBB stuff or "stay away it's a scam" stuff, nothing. So I took the chance.

I paid with PayPal, so I should have some protection, hopefully. I keep checking the site and the process is progressing as it should. I guess I'll just have to keep watching it. I'll keep you informed.

Dave

81 - 99 of 99 Posts