Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've done the searches and read the reviews from several of you whom, although I don't know at all, I have respect for based on your posts on several things.

I spoke with Mark at Ducshop and he answered some questions but I just can't get this mod out of my head.

I have a couple of specific questions that just were not answered to my satisfaction with the search function.

1. With all of the torque a 2v puts out down low, does reving quicker disallow its effective use??

2. Some have stated that with the lightweight flywheel, it wheelies easier, some say if loses it's desire for power wheelies. Which is more true??

3. Short of the airbox cover mod, my bike is stock for now. Is this something that I should wait for until I get the exhaust etc..??

I was planning to have Ducshop turn my Flywheel down so making the wrong decision will doubly-costly (my word, stay off of it). The wheelie issue isn't huge but it is pretty big. I live at 4600' MSL and right now I can snap it up in 2nd coming out of a turn on the throttle. I would be looking to keep that and even gain more if I could. Silly I know, but I refuse to grow up.

Anyways, thanks for your input. I look forward to your responses.

Dave

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's a great mod and I see no drawback to it. IMO, stock flywheel is too heavy and bike revs too slow. You wont regret it

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The lightened stock flywheel by (Ducshop) is one of my favorite mods, stock is about 4 lbs, after turning it down its about 2 lbs, supposed to be the same as the 848 flywheel.

The bike will spool up to speed a little quicker, and snap out of corners easier, NO real downsides that I saw. The bike still feels stock, but quicker. Some say the bike will corner easier, I didn't see that much difference, but I guess it could. Power is the same, if you wheelied before, it'll wheelie now, only quicker. :p

If your not going to get a full system, just slip-ons, install a kat remover, (LV's the best) its adds to the throttle response, drops a few lbs, and makes the exhaust sound better. Hope this helps, Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I turned my flywheel down myself after Ducshop was kind enough to answer some of my questions. Basically it you end up turning it down as small as possible.The reason the Nichols is lighter is because it's aluminum. I haven't experienced any ill effects from the lighter flywheel and the the motor feels livelier, less lazy.I personally wanted to keep some flywheel for tractability.I know there are a lot of guys running the Nichols that are very happy too though.Check out my gallery on this site for pics.
And to answer your questions
1) I love the torque, it's what makes this bike fun And the reason I'm not interested in the cams.I may be wrong, but I don't think this mod can effect torque.Correct me if I'm wrong.
2) Wheelie fun not effected....improved if anything.
3) A lighter flywheel will work fine with the stock exhaust.No need to wait.
4)DO IT
5) While it's a good mod, don't expect it to feel like an extra 50 HP

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I've had the Nichols flywheel in the Hyper ... hands down one of the best mods I did. Instant throttle response for sure, but on the whole I'd say it woke the bike up...made it feel less lethargic. I would highly recommend it.

As an aside, it was such a good mod that I ordered a Nichols flywheel for my 749 as well. And, before I sold it, I had one for my 916.

You do the math.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I guess I'm gonna do it.

I am a bit confused on Ducshop's proceedure for buying this as they say it's $75 to have mine machined down. I asked if they send me one and charge a core for mine back and he said no, it's $75 for the machining. Naturally, I then asked "So then I send mine in and you machine it and send it back?" and they said, "Well, if you have that kind of time."

What am I missing??

Dave

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
You need to take yours out and send it to them. A few of us did the flywheel shuffle - I used the Nichols so I gave my stock one to Alex who sent it to the Ducshop. When he got it back he swapped it with his, which he gave to Todd who sent it to the Ducshop. When he got it back he swapped it out and gave the stock one back to me ... well, he still has it but that's mostly because I haven't picked it up yet.

The idea is to minimize the bike's down time.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
dead beaten horse is alive again

argh... just when I had finally put my mind to rest that this mod was no good based on Mark at Ducshop's advice... and the fact that I bought their bike with "everything" on it and it didn't have the lightened flywheel.

and now here you go sparking my curiosity again. Ducshop is only a few miles away... do I or don't I, do I, or don't i? Mark said that reason he doesn't recommend it is that power on the ds engine is down low... flywheel mod makes it rev too fast. Everyone else seems to love it. 7500 mile service is coming up... what to do, what to do. TIC TOC TIC TOC...:confused::p:cool:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
argh... just when I had finally put my mind to rest that this mod was no good based on Mark at Ducshop's advice... and the fact that I bought their bike with "everything" on it and it didn't have the lightened flywheel.

and now here you go sparking my curiosity again. Ducshop is only a few miles away... do I or don't I, do I, or don't i? Mark said that reason he doesn't recommend it is that power on the ds engine is down low... flywheel mod makes it rev too fast. Everyone else seems to love it. 7500 mile service is coming up... what to do, what to do. TIC TOC TIC TOC...:confused::p:cool:
Just try it!, and if you don't like it, I sure you'll find a LOT of forum members here that will trade you their stock for your lightened one. :) Aloha Alex

·
Registered
520 Posts
When I purchased my bike the previous owner had already had the local shop machine and lighten the fly wheel so I can't speak of before and after. However I was very interested in trying it with a stock weight wheel only because the throttle seemed to be all or nuthin and engine braking seemed extreme. So I bought a used stock flywheel to try for cheap. I took the crank cover off and began to realize that when they machined it down they removed the pin holes to secure it. All I have is a nice slick piece of round metal in the there with a nut holding it on that's torqued like the Jesus nut on a helicopter with no way of holding it.

Has anyone removed one after its been machined? Any ideas? I thought about it for a while before I gave up and put the bike back together last summer and figured I would tackle it again this winter.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
When I purchased my bike the previous owner had already had the local shop machine and lighten the fly wheel so I can't speak of before and after. However I was very interested in trying it with a stock weight wheel only because the throttle seemed to be all or nuthin and engine braking seemed extreme. So I bought a used stock flywheel to try for cheap. I took the crank cover off and began to realize that when they machined it down they removed the pin holes to secure it. All I have is a nice slick piece of round metal in the there with a nut holding it on that's torqued like the Jesus nut on a helicopter with no way of holding it.

Has anyone removed one after its been machined? Any ideas? I thought about it for a while before I gave up and put the bike back together last summer and figured I would tackle it again this winter.
Big ass pneumatic gun.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Not that it matters, but the factory itself has decided to lighten the OEM flywheel
on 2010 Hypers. I believe it is now using the same (or very similar) flywheel as the 848
and lighter magnets in the alternator as well.

According to Ducshop:
Stock Hyper weight....5 pounds
Stock 848................. 2 pounds, 3 ounces
Lightened Hyper.........1 pounds, 12 ounces

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
so seems like the ducshop one is considerably cheaper. what is the install like. has anyone done it? special tools/skills required? thanks.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
so seems like the ducshop one is considerably cheaper. what is the install like. has anyone done it? special tools/skills required? thanks.
It's not too bad, but if you're not really used to doing this kind of stuff, there are definitely some potential pitfalls.Nichols gives you a pretty good rundown on their site.A couple of things are slightly different for the Hyper.You obviously won't be draining any coolant.:think:
http://motorcycle.nicholsmfg.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=29&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

This is what Mark said to me too, which is why I started this thread.

I did the search thing and then talked to Mark. I wrote this mod off when I hung up, but I just couldn't get it out of my head. There were too many "good guys" on here that said this mod rocks on the Hyper. FAIAP, it does what I'm looking for, quicker throttle, less Gyro effect, more engine braking (backing in easier, ya know..). As I stated, I didn't want to lose the torque by flying right past it and didn't want to lose the wheelie ability either.

Technically, if you do sail right passed the torque curve, isn't it because you've accelerated passed it? Which means you're going too fast for that gear's curve but you can now get into the next gear, and so on, and so on.

I guess where it might be an issue may be on pulls out of turns where shifting wouldn't be ideal whereas throttling through a little longer will still get you the acceleration needed to properly finish the turn. I would think that that would just be a matter of throttle control vs. being a bit lazy and letting the bike pick up your slack.

Whaddya think??

Dave

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had installed an original flywheel that had been machined down to 2 pounds. The engine did spool up quicker, the idle was fine, the bike was harder to wheelie err carry wheelies under power, the bike lugged too much in the taller gears, the bike was also less stable when flicking over.

I removed flywheel and put stock back in. I feel that this a good mod if your going to be on the track a lot. I no longer race and dont spend a lot of time at the track, I use my hyper more for having fun and touring so I spend a lot of time in the tall gears and just didnt like the way the bike lugged around.

I would also like to note that it does help with engine braking but I have a slipper installed so I dont really need to worry about it (I did like the way the the slipper felt with a lighter flywheel though.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
thanks for a great comparo Sconly! Now I feel like I have a better idea of what to expect. I have to admit I enjoy the "luggability" of my hyper, and real roads aren't all "accelerate hard, brake hard" like on a track. I'll give this some more thought.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts