Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I read so much good information on here I've never had to ask anything. But this one I can't find anything on. My lights on my 09 1198... headlights and dash light go out when I rev the engine. As soon as I let off the throttle they all come back. Batt shows on dash to go from around 15 at idle to about. 15.8 at revved. My first thought was the maybe regulator but I replaced the regulator and the battery about 5 to 6 months ago. No issues till now. Not that it couldn't still be that. Figured y'all was the best to ask. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently had the same thing happen to my 1198s after I had some work done on it. Road it everything was fine, dropped into my sisters then continued home, the first thing I noticed was the neutral light wasn't coming on, then no indicators, some time later it all came back. The next time I went to ride it I had it warming up when I noticed no lights, dash or headlight, starts just fine. Gave all the connections a good going over but haven't had a chance to test it out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
15.8 is waaay to high and risking to fry everything. In fact I bet stuff turning off is some sort of high voltage protection kicking in. A working regulator should never let more than 14.5V out the business end so that would be the first thing to swap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok that's what I was thinking but I figured since I literally just replaced it a few months back it had to be something else and I was just missing it. I'll order a new one. Better one and hopefully that will be it. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
my bike has got the same issues its a 2010 1198s started 2 days ago no dash back-light no indicators or any other lights has anyone found a possible solution yet please

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 748. It was a bad generator. I replaced the regulator and battery first. A few days later it was acting weird again. Turns out the bad generator fried the new regulator and battery during those few days. So a needed a second new reg and battery and a generator. On my 748 you can test the yellows wires that come from the left side of the engine that plug into the regulator.
You need to measure the ac current and These are the numbers you are looking for from the earlier 2 phase system, trying to find 3 phase info...

35v ish at1500rpm increasing to 70 at 3000,then 140 at 6000.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Found this:
An easy way to test the whole assembly is to get the output wires from the alternator, usually 3 thick yellow wires, fully charge the battery out the bike and then place it back in and disconnect these 3 yellow wires. Get a multimeter put it to AC around 100V range greater than 80 anyway, and test the 3 yellow wires 1-2, 1-3, 2-3, at a about 2k and I'm making an educated guess here around 30-40VAC at say 3-4k around 60-70VAC. Check the manual it may give you figures for testing, also when doing this the bike will obviously not be charging. All 3 wire tests should give approx the same results, any one being significantly different means a stator coil has failed.

full thread:

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks ICustomxXXI appreciate that its in the shop at the moment ...... see what they come up with

1 - 8 of 8 Posts