Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Hyper for 400 miles now. I was coming home from a ride this evening at twilight when I was flashed by an on coming car. It made my realize that my headlights were out. I was luckily only a couple of miles from home, so I made it back just before dark (which comes fast at this time of the year). When I got her back in the garage I assumed that the bulb had just burned out prematurely. I knew that it wasn't a fuse since all the other lights work. I started to install the new Sylvania bulb that I had purchased, but as I was taking off the bolts, I noticed the high beam flasher which made me pause, I tried it assuming that nothing would happen but quite the contrary the high beams flashed...so now I know it isn't a fuse and it isnt the bulb, so I am to assume that the light switch is just bad? Thoughts?

BTW, I just love this bike, I just put on the Zard slip ons, and open clutch, plus a few other extras so the bike is starting to take shape, once I have the 600 miles I will have the DP ECU installed at the dealer, which should really liven her up. What is involved with installing the ECU? I understand that the throttle position needs to be reset, but I have to admit that I dont really understand what is done. Thx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I noticed the high beam flasher which made me pause, I tried it assuming that nothing would happen but quite the contrary the high beams flashed...so now I know it isn't a fuse and it isnt the bulb, so I am to assume that the light switch is just bad? Thoughts?
I believe the Hyper uses an H4 bulb which is dual filament. The low beam filament probably burned out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The high beam doesn't work off the switch either...just off the quick pulse trigger (for lack of a better term).

·
Registered
730 Posts
sounds like the fuse. pull all the fuses out under the right side fairing cover one by one and inspect. I had this problem with no blown fuses but just by pulling them it reset whatever tripped

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem after installing my zard top gun. the license plate lite was blowing the fuse at the base where it attaches to the metal plate frame supplied by zard. I used a hacksaw and shaved off a small portion of the ducati stock plastic piece and used it as a buffer. No problem since.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ My license plate light was arcing too, so we used electrical tape to prevent that after putting the Zard on. Did you have to replace the fuse with a new one? I will take the fuse out and try reinserting it...thx.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked it out and the fuse was bad, replaced it with the spare, so all is good for a ride this morning..kinda of foggy, so that makes me feel better about it. I do find it interesting that with the light fuse out the high beam flasher still works, must be a safety feature thus ties into a different fuse. Thx for the advice.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
learn sumptin every day good info

·
Registered
31 Posts
The problem is related to the right screw of the number plate light.
On the stock plate holder it is isolated from the frame but on aftermarket metal plate holders it might create a short circuit, thus blowing the light fuse.
Here in Italy we change the right screw with a plastic one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up just taping the metal area by the license plate light with insulated electrical tape so it works fine now, but that is a good tid bit of information so thx.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All that really needs to be done is to remove the screw that holds the light assembly together, and swap the 2 spade terminals. If you look closely, you can see that one terminal goes around one of the bolts, and the other doesn't. So if they are switched, no worries. Attached are pictures of the swapped spades. Time ~.5 min.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts