Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chilehead
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the 220g flywheel I got from Kaemna some time ago this past weekend. OEM = 1860g, new = 220g, difference = 1680g (3lbs10oz).

No noticible difference in idle or smoothness, though (as in the case of my ST2 after installing a Nichols flywheel) it likes a bit of fast idle cam until it's warmed up a bit (until the display starts showing a temperature). Once warm, idle is fine, with no adjustments made to a higher idle speed.

I used a gasket, sold by Chris Kelly, rather than 3-bond, as I did on my ST2, which means I need to re-shim the sensor. I have the shims on order, so it's temporarily running with too-much gap, but seems to run fine that way.

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Ducati performance part on my 2005 1000 SS DS and it revs a lot quicker with nice "snappy" off idle acceleration at the track. Don't street ride it though, so I wouldn't know about the difference there.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
gatta26 said:
True. I ride on the street majority of time; I probably won't buy it. Everyone's advice is to buy it if I am going to hit the track more often.

angela
The advice I got from BCM was to have them machine down my stock flywheel for approx. $85. It's a compromise between stock and Nichols. About 2 lbs., I think. This was on a '96 SS used on the street. I'd do it again, no doubt.

bruce19

·
Registered
26 Posts
Probably in the off season this winter, I will have the crankshaft lightened, ballanced, knife edged and polished. But I don't want to have to split the cases this year. There is also the possibilty of some higher compression pistons while everything is a part too ...... we'll see :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.