Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recieved a set of Avon AV45/46's. I don't see any indication marks on the carcass for the "light spot". I can't find any info on thier website or anywhere on the web in general. Anybody know?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you mounting the tires yourself... if so then I would not sweat it too much since you can just compensate when you balance the tires. I have a set of Avons sitting in the garage and one of them has the dot you are thinking about and the other one does not. Not a big deal for me :)
If you are going to take it to a dealer to get them mounted, they are also just going to compensate using weights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I mount and balance myself. These are my first Avons. All other tires/makes that I have used have had the marks (with a couple of exceptions). It's just my curse to *try to be* a perfectionist. Just wanted to see if Avon used different markings than what I am used to. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I mount and balance my own tires as well. I ran into this problem with michelins. Your best bet is to guess, normally these tire are pretty close. If you are dissatisfied with the way it turns out let the air out of the tire break the bead and spin it on the rim to where you think it need to be. Thats more than any "shop" is going to do for you!

·
Registered
329 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
I mount and balance my own tires as well. I ran into this problem with michelins. Your best bet is to guess, normally these tire are pretty close. If you are dissatisfied with the way it turns out let the air out of the tire break the bead and spin it on the rim to where you think it need to be. Thats more than any "shop" is going to do for you!
I have been to a couple shop that dont even balance the tires for you...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had a set of Avons mounted, they had the dots, but they musta been off. Took some extra weight to balance. But they've been running fine for over 5,000 miles. Another bit of advice is to mark the heavy and light spot of the rim with no tire mounted before mounting. The heavy spot might not be the valve stem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oilhed said:
Another bit of advice is to mark the heavy and light spot of the rim with no tire mounted before mounting. The heavy spot might not be the valve stem.
Great advice... something I do already but something I neglegt to mention to others :D

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I thought that tires without a light sport mark were just relatively close to being neutrally balanced. They'll never be "perfect" but can be close enough so that you won't be adding a significant weight. Thanks for the empty rim balance tip, and don't forget to clean the rim lips, for a tight seal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts