Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am getting my bike ship back from my trip to Alaska (crated). Due to the crate size, the dealer in Alaska had to remove the front tire. To do that, they suspended the bike from the handle bars.

When I go to pick it up, and try to get it out of the crate, I might not be able to use the center stand, nor a place where I can lift it from the handle bars.

So, the question, can I use a jack to lift it from the skip plate? Usually you can do that on dirt bikes cause the skip plate is mounted on the frame, but on this bike the skip plate is bolted on the engine itself.

thanks!!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I say no, don't do it that way. Need some Enduro owners to chime in, I don't know the layout of the Enduro but that sounds like a bad idea.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You should be just fine lifting and holding it up by the skid plate. I've bashed the crap outta mine on some nasty rock sections... my skid plate is pretty banged up but no other damage.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Should be fine with the skid plate, not sure about the stability but that's only because I haven't seen yours.
What about a fork stand? Definitely more stable.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You'll be fine. I've bashed the crap out of mine and all was A-OK.

Take it easy though and try to spread the weight using a block or...

·
Registered
212 Posts
If the skid plate is a true skid plate, not like the flimsy thing that is on my '15, and it can support the weight of the bike without buckling or bending, then I wouldn't see any issue supporting the bike that way. I might put a piece of wood between the jack and the skid plate to distribute the load over a larger area. What's the difference between lifting the bike at the skid plate with a jack or with a rock on a trail? At least with a jack you're not driving the bike into it, you're just lifting it gently. My concern would be the stability of the bike while on the jack and what prevents it from falling over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will have 2 friends holding the bike on each side, so hopefully that will help. By the way, it is a Multi Enduro. Picture below

·
Registered
343 Posts
Lifting the bike under the skid plate shifts most of the weight to the rear tire. You are not putting the entire weight of the bike on the skid plate. Should be no problem. I did it on my '15 Multi to change the tire with no problems. You can also rock the weight back on the rear tire by strapping a couple of cases of beer the the luggage rack Then you would have a handy reward for the friends who are helping you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts