Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After quizzing folks about how to lift the front of my SL to get the forks off, I decided on the Pit Bull lift. Good decision. Works as good as the rear stand. One issue, though. When the bike is on the lift, you can't get the 14mm socket into the axle bolt becuz the lift is in the way. So, I had to lift the bike using a floor jack under the fork to lift the wheel, remove the axle bolt, clumsilly, then reach over and fit the Pit Bull under the steering head and lift it all up. So, unless there is a remedy that I am missing, this is not the ideal solution, but it works ok.

S

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
After quizzing folks about how to lift the front of my SL to get the forks off, I decided on the Pit Bull lift. Good decision. Works as good as the rear stand. One issue, though. When the bike is on the lift, you can't get the 14mm socket into the axle bolt becuz the lift is in the way. So, I had to lift the bike using a floor jack under the fork to lift the wheel, remove the axle bolt, clumsilly, then reach over and fit the Pit Bull under the steering head and lift it all up. So, unless there is a remedy that I am missing, this is not the ideal solution, but it works ok.

S

Turn the wheel a little to the left or the right to get the allen wrench in. Don't forget, you only loosen up the pinch bolts for the axle on the allen "head" side. The other side needs to hold the threaded insert from turning while you undo the axle. (on my 17mm 93 anyway......)

Dez

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. That works well.

Thanks, again.

S

Turn the wheel a little to the left or the right to get the allen wrench in. Don't forget, you only loosen up the pinch bolts for the axle on the allen "head" side. The other side needs to hold the threaded insert from turning while you undo the axle. (on my 17mm 93 anyway......)

Dez

·
Registered
11 Posts
Or you could just turn the bike around and clamp the rear wheel, loosen all the wheel bolts and then insert the Pit Bull lift...
Or use a scissor lift and two wooden blocks under the engine, which will facilitate removing the tripple trees as well.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Or you could just turn the bike around and clamp the rear wheel, loosen all the wheel bolts and then insert the Pit Bull lift...
Or use a scissor lift and two wooden blocks under the engine, which will facilitate removing the tripple trees as well.

1+
I would mount the bike on your lift with the bike backed in. Then loosen all the bolts then lift raise the front.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good ideas. Thanks.

1+
I would mount the bike on your lift with the bike backed in. Then loosen all the bolts then lift raise the front.

·
Registered
238 Posts
lift front

I was wondering about the big stand you have your bike on (not the pit bulls) I have been wondering about something like that. Can you tell me a bit about it. Sorry to change the topic- your mailbox was full. Thanks, George M.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Check with the Harbor Freight site. www.harborfreight.com They have bike lifts that are similar in width, and narrow lifts, depending on your preference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts