Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to replace the rear shocks on my GT, so need to jack the bike up.
Where is the best spot to place jack under? I was thinking of aiming just in front of the drain plug. Is it ok if there is weight bearing on the exhaust? or should I do as best to avoid any load on them?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
If you swap them one at a time, should be able to lift/push down to slip them on. Don't put a jack on any part of engine. On my SC, I used a scissors jack between the rear tire and a board cut to fit across frame rails just to hold rear end up as I swapped single shock, no reason you could not do that but with 2 shocks people usually able to do one at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I would avoid putting weight on the exhaust at all. Frankly using a car jack to lift a bike is probably not a great solution, as it seems like the bike wouldn't be very stable. Investing in a quality rear stand would be a much better idea.

That being said, if you decide to go for it anyway, stick a block of wood between the jack and engine to avoid scratching it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i should have mentioned the boards inbetween the jack and the engine. Will do that at the least for sure.
Ive resolved to this because I already tried doing the one at a time swap on a rear stand.... but any pressure on the swing arm is not letting the shock out. There are welded steel guards around the ends of the shocks at the top and bottom keeping them from being removed.
As such I will try the car jack while getting a friend to hold the front of the bike. I still needed about a cm or more of clearance based on the rear stand idea.... hope this gets me that amount..

Any other ideas on accompllishing the swap?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Turn the footpegs upside down and you can support the bike on two car jacks that way.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Turn the footpegs upside down and you can support the bike on two car jacks that way.
I was thinking that but thought he did not have a rear stand to get it up there but later he said he does, this would be a great alternative. (I have used this method but on frame sliders.)

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I would avoid putting weight on the exhaust at all. Frankly using a car jack to lift a bike is probably not a great solution, as it seems like the bike wouldn't be very stable. Investing in a quality rear stand would be a much better idea.

That being said, if you decide to go for it anyway, stick a block of wood between the jack and engine to avoid scratching it.
3) do this last (only if really necessary)

2) do this after 1 below

Get the bike in your garage and use a ratchet strap over a roof beam to hold the frame up. ;)
1) this is how to start:cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
yup, every time I've done something on my bike I just hang it from the rafters with a couple ratchet straps.
Have seen it happening before without any issues! Surprisingly stable as well..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've switched my shocks just by lifting the back a bit by hand...and tilting it just a bit over the kickstand.
It worked great and took but 15 minutes!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
What's wrong with the standard method of a 3/8 steel bar through the swingarm pivot, resting on jackstands? You do need a rear stand to lift it up of course.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yup, ratchet strap from the garage support beam. I permanently installed a couple of high strength eye hooks in the ceiling. I hook two ratchet straps to those. I also can slide a steel rod into the two eye hooks to accommodate one strap but distributes the weigh to both hooks.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I use a rolling engine hoist with ratchet straps on the hook.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well..... I got back from out of town recently and finally got to change the shocks.
I loved all the ideas, I think the straps off the ceiling is genius.. but I elected to go with the blocks of wood between a car jack and my engine. It was definately sketchy with it tee-tottering over the jack but with the help another individual the shocks were changed over without any problems.

Looking pretty good eh? these Hagons are 340mm, its definately nice to get that back end lower.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts